UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Galactica

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Galactica seems out of action long term!?

https://queue-times.com/parks/1/rides/4619
 
User avatar
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 am

Re: Galactica

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:45 pm

I hate to be a miserable one and one not open for change but the day they decided to put VR on this ride is the day they killed it. I wouldn't mind but it genuinely isn't even that good a VR experience, I went on it with the new headset not couple of weeks ago and it still doesn't work correctly. The idea is good I loved that but operations wise its a complete disaster.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
User avatar
timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Galactica

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:22 am

It's still saying open from 10am every morning on ride times, and every morning after 10, still unavailable, frustrating! Just say it's closed from the beginning, its less disappointment.
 
Hex-Addict
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Galactica

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:34 am

Hi guys
Was on park yesterday and spoke to a few members of staff about galactica and they just said they are having to wait for parts but they don't know how long it's going to be, they couldn't elaborate anymore than that unfortunately.
 
User avatar
Robert W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Galactica

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Does anyone remember if Air had this many technical problems? I mean, Galactica seems like it's had a fair bit of bad luck, in comparison to some of the other rides... if it's not the VR causing problems, it the actual ride! Let's hope that it's sorted soon and that's it for the rest of the season.
Image
 
User avatar
saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:20 pm
Location: Forbidden Valley

Re: Galactica

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:06 am

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I was wondering why did they remove the single rider queue for Galactica that Air had?
And I'm really sorry. I don't remember many down periods for Air but I wasn't at the park that much and it was tooo long ago for me to remember...
There is a conspiracy around the Flume Ducks...
 
User avatar
timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:33 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Galactica

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:15 pm

Robert W wrote:
Does anyone remember if Air had this many technical problems? I mean, Galactica seems like it's had a fair bit of bad luck, in comparison to some of the other rides... if it's not the VR causing problems, it the actual ride! Let's hope that it's sorted soon and that's it for the rest of the season.


It's always had a few more problems than the likes of nemesis, it's a much more complex ride concerning the carriages, being that your hoisted into the flying position from a normal sitting position, so a relatively complex ride has now been made twice as complicated.
 
User avatar
Max
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:37 pm
Location: Bognor Regis

Re: Galactica

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Galactica reopened today.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Image
 
User avatar
Robert W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Galactica

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:19 pm

Yay! It's been closed so much I'd actually given up on it completely!
Image
 
TheDuke
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:38 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Galactica

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:18 pm

How's it running now? Has the VR improved?
 
User avatar
DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: The Pits
Contact:

Re: Galactica

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:49 pm

Rode it today and i honestly couldn't tell the difference between today's and last seasons when it was last working for me
Image
 
ColossusInferno
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Galactica

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:33 pm

Are we all a fan of Galactica, or would you like something to replace it? I guess the area would be too small for a new rollercoaster. Out of all the rides at Alton Towers, Galactica I skip, hope whatever improvements they made during its close have created a better VR experience than before
 
User avatar
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 am

Re: Galactica

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 pm

ColossusInferno wrote:
hope whatever improvements they made during its close have created a better VR experience than before

I may be wrong but I don't think the closure was down to the VR and in the time it was closed I highly doubt anything major was adjusted.

I went on it in May I believe with the new headset and audio was hit & miss, the VR visuals were the same. The only difference I found was the straps were a lot better.

I don't like VR on Galactica simply because its the most unusual train to have them on & given how you are positioned you are limited to what you can see while in VR. I skip it as well as I feel its not worth waiting for with the longer load times.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
User avatar
Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 1054
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: Galactica

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:48 pm

I believe the closure was due to the mechanics of Galactica and not the VR as this was sorted earlier in the year. 
To be honest, I love Galactica, especially the position it holds you in, but as long as they offer both the VR and option to ride without, then the resort is on to a winner with families! While I am yet to ride with VR this year, although I've had many rides as Air, some report that loading times have improved?
Image
Image
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Robert W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Galactica

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:20 am

At the resort today and the loading procedures for Galactica were long and slow, possibly worse than last year... at one point the train was literally just parked in the station, fully loaded with guests ready to go but there was nothing happening apart from the staff skipping about everywhere, as if to make it look like they were doing something...
Image
 
User avatar
Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Re: Galactica

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:58 am

Robert W wrote:
At one point the train was literally just parked in the station, fully loaded with guests ready to go but there was nothing happening apart from the staff skipping about everywhere, as if to make it look like they were doing something...

Are you sure it wasn't to do with timing with the other station? I've never heard about or seen them use the block brake on the lift hill since VR was implemented, so that could be why.
 
User avatar
Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 1054
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: Galactica

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:46 pm

Robert W wrote:
At the resort today and the loading procedures for Galactica were long and slow, possibly worse than last year... at one point the train was literally just parked in the station, fully loaded with guests ready to go but there was nothing happening apart from the staff skipping about everywhere, as if to make it look like they were doing something...

That is surprising. I really hope they review procedures and speed things up!
I suppose for many hosts they would have had limited experience of VR operations before as it has been out of action!
Image
Image
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Robert W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Galactica

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:17 pm

They actually made a small announcement about there being a  problem with a particular guest, but from where I was standing I couldn't see anything of a guest having problems with VR or anything. The long waits seemed to be happening every so often. Every few trains or so, there would be a long delay before the train got dispatched from the station despite the previous trains having loaded and been dispatched quickly. 
Image
 
User avatar
Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Re: Galactica

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Today I experienced Galactica with the VR for the first time since the new headsets were introduced and I was highly disappointed.

While I did find the new headsets easier to put on than the old ones, that's where the improvements finish. After some fiddling with the focus wheel the startup screen with the Galactica logo was as clear as it was last year however when the VR started it all went downhill.

I found the video to be of a far worse quality than last year and the audio was bordering on abysmal. I also had some syncing issues which really disoriented me halfway round the circuit but they corrected themselves by the time we got back into the station.

When Galactica was introduced last year I did enjoy it (minus the drastically decreased throughput) but it has gone massively down in my estimation. I understand they had some issues with the old headsets but I struggle to comprehend why they went for such a cheap alternative. I certainly won't be in a rush to ride Galactica with the VR again and I wouldn't lose any sleep if it were to lose it altogether within a couple of years.
Image
Image
Image
Image
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1322
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:29 am
Location: Who knows?

Re: Galactica

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Dan wrote:
Today I experienced Galactica with the VR for the first time since the new headsets were introduced and I was highly disappointed.

While I did find the new headsets easier to put on than the old ones, that's where the improvements finish. After some fiddling with the focus wheel the startup screen with the Galactica logo was as clear as it was last year however when the VR started it all went downhill.

I found the video to be of a far worse quality than last year and the audio was bordering on abysmal. I also had some syncing issues which really disoriented me halfway round the circuit but they corrected themselves by the time we got back into the station.

When Galactica was introduced last year I did enjoy it (minus the drastically decreased throughput) but it has gone massively down in my estimation. I understand they had some issues with the old headsets but I struggle to comprehend why they went for such a cheap alternative. I certainly won't be in a rush to ride Galactica with the VR again and I wouldn't lose any sleep if it were to lose it altogether within a couple of years.


I couldn't agree more with this analysis!
Image
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 44 guests