UK theme parks from another point of view!

Wagstaff04
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:40 pm

They probably will. 

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:59 am

Anything for a story.

But yeah, compared to last year I asked, they said they had no plans for this season, but now I got that response.. the future is looking bright!
Don't take me serious..
But come, sit, have a drink.. don't mind me..
Hush little baby, don't say a word..
It'll only hurt forever.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:59 am

As much as I love The Smiler I think it needs some work doing to it. Not quite DBGT 2016 to 2017 level but still. 

The queue line needs looking at, drainage and maybe the addition of gates for quieter days. The broken screen and speaker at the base of the second lift hill needs looking into. Some of the Marmaliser effects such as the water mist need to be fixed or replacing and the entire area needs a good clean and touching up. Not a vast amount of work really. A small team could probably do it in a few weeks (except for maybe the drainage. That might be a bigger job).

When I first rode The Smiler in early 2016 it was my favorite coaster, now it's slipping down my rankings due to the above issues and the roughness. A real shame. 

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:25 am

Also, I have no idea how the Tickler car washing brushes have developed a big chunk of black to one side of both brushes.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Nutty Man
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:28 am

Hello. On a recent project revolving around The Smiler (which is my favourite ride) I am focusing on the theming and story line of the ride. I have got most of it (I think) about MOJ and The Sanctuary etc. but have come across a few things talking about the 'KFC project'. Is this anything actually to do with The Smiler or is it something completely different? How does it tie into the story?
The nemesis creature, lord of darkness, guy off the promo for galactica, th13teen woman Dr. Kelman and Big Bob have joined to take over the world.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:33 am

Nutty Man wrote:
Hello. On a recent project revolving around The Smiler (which is my favourite ride) I am focusing on the theming and story line of the ride. I have got most of it (I think) about MOJ and The Sanctuary etc. but have come across a few things talking about the 'KFC project'. Is this anything actually to do with The Smiler or is it something completely different? How does it tie into the story?

As far as I’m aware, there was never any reference to a “KFC project” at any point during the Smiler’s marketing or construction, and a quick Google search doesn’t throw up any results that would indicate otherwise.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Correct - Not sure where you got "KFC Project" from as it has nothing to do with The Smiler.  

The only tenuous link I can think of is the rebranding of the chicken outlet in X Sector from KFC to Fried Chicken Co in 2012, a year before The Smiler opened. 

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:30 pm

Smiler313 wrote:
Also, I have no idea how the Tickler car washing brushes have developed a big chunk of black to one side of both brushes.

This will most likely be oil that's run from the motors that drive the brushes.

Nutty Man
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:18 pm

I do agree this seems stupid, that there isn't much to say about it at all. 3 places you can look:

Blue Peter - The Smiler, pause at about 5:24. In the back you can see the KFC logo surrounded by what looks like tracks of The Smiler. This might be, as you say, thinking about adding the KFC to the resort.

Carter Brager YouTube channel. There is a video about KFC project. This might just be something entirely different which I'm not aware of. But as far as I can see, all his other videos are about the smiler.

Finally, there was some mention in the archives for The Smiler about the KFC project.

I agree with you though, it doesn't seem like it should have anything to do with it.
The nemesis creature, lord of darkness, guy off the promo for galactica, th13teen woman Dr. Kelman and Big Bob have joined to take over the world.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Nutty Man wrote:
I do agree this seems stupid, that there isn't much to say about it at all. 3 places you can look:

Blue Peter - The Smiler, pause at about 5:24. In the back you can see the KFC logo surrounded by what looks like tracks of The Smiler. This might be, as you say, thinking about adding the KFC to the resort.

Carter Brager YouTube channel. There is a video about KFC project. This might just be something entirely different which I'm not aware of. But as far as I can see, all his other videos are about the smiler.

Finally, there was some mention in the archives for The Smiler about the KFC project.

I agree with you though, it doesn't seem like it should have anything to do with it.

As Adz has said, the only real link between KFC and The Smiler is that the current Fried Chicken Co unit in X-Sector was a KFC until the 2012 season. I have never heard anything along these lines before, and I’m not sure anyone else has either?

TheBeornen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:36 pm

You've got a lot of story to work with for the Smiler, it probably has one of the more in-depth stories in AT. Yesterday I went back and watched the four part series Smile. Always which is great and really helps to understand the MOJ.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pm

That series is brilliant. I still jump when Miles appears! :lol

Nutty Man
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 am

Yes, has been good working on the story line.

On something different, has The Smiler game been removed from the app stores because I can't find it. I've still got the game though on a Lenovo tablet and it still works fine.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:00 am

I think The Smiler Game was removed after the incident, may not be true but I think it was removed around that time.
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:02 am

You're correct, Jack. It was removed after the 2015 crash, however, if you downloaded it before, you will still have access to it. I can still download mine from Google Play.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:18 pm

I still have my app, I don't dare uninstall it :lol
Don't take me serious..
But come, sit, have a drink.. don't mind me..
Hush little baby, don't say a word..
It'll only hurt forever.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:38 am

Credit to Theme Park Incorporated.
The rumours were true, baggage hold scrapped, cages on The Smiler's station. Double whammy for throughput with no baggage hold and removal of single rider queue.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld: From Park to Planet. Experience worlds of wonder, thrills and discovery.

SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

TheBeornen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Why did they get rid of the previous system because isn't it built into Wicker man and do we know if it has changed for 13?
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:15 pm

It will be very interesting to see how this impacts batching. There isn't much room to manoeuvre in each train, and the drop at the front will now pose a risk is guests are having to walk from one side to another. Hopefully, staff will take bags off people... without dropping them!! 

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:07 pm

I think there's going to be lots of stacking on the MCBR and Brake Run with this system, no way will they be able to keep up throughputs. Not the best look with  The Smilers history.

No slidy doors on the cages either by the seems of it, expect people to pick up the wrong bag on the way out. Not to mention the higher risk of things being stolen.

Lots more people on the platform too, we could see 2 trains worth of people on the ride platforms and on/in the trains. 

As much as I hate the system, lockers near the entrance like Universal Orlando would have been better. 

I'm amazed this got signed off. Although, I guess it saves them 3 whole members of staff....