UK theme parks from another point of view!

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers Resort - Quick Questions

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:58 am

LittleReidy wrote:
Does Alton towers offer any mix and match fast passes like Thorpe Park? (Where two people can use the same fast pass for instance)

As far as I know, only the platinum fastrack comes with a wristband that ties it to a specific person. If you have gold and one of you wants to take the other persons ride on smiler for instance I'm pretty sure you can
Can anyone confirm this please?
Thanks bubbles What a lad

hookyman
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:53 pm

I have booked Splash Landings hotel, 4th November for the fireworks and i am just wondering, does this mean i am guaranteed to get into the park. Bearing in mind, i have booked it on a bed and breakfast basis and i am planning on using my merlin pass for entry? Or will i need to get pre-book tickets?

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:46 pm

hookyman wrote:
I have booked Splash Landings hotel, 4th November for the fireworks and i am just wondering, does this mean i am guaranteed to get into the park. Bearing in mind, i have booked it on a bed and breakfast basis and i am planning on using my merlin pass for entry? Or will i need to get pre-book tickets?

Yes you are guarantee to get into the park if you stay at one of the resort hotels, just bring your email booking slip/voucher with you to show at the turn styles

Doublethink
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:34 pm

We don't usually eat on park but on our scarefest visit we will be on park so long a hot meal is required.

What food outlet would you recommend for a reasonable (for themempark) ballence of quality and price?

belpertramp
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:12 pm

The pizza pasta buffet in Katanga Canyon is quite good value. Unfortunately I've not tried any of the other options, as my daughter always insists on pasta for lunch! You also get money off with an merlin annual pass.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:07 pm

I like the Roller Coaster Restaurant even as a quick pop-in for lunch, whilst the pricing will be on the higher side, the ambiance and overall experience is normally good. Otherwise, Woodcutters is another option for better quality food within the park.

I'm always disappointed with the indoor food options from Eastern Express, but really like the cooked chicken wraps on the outdoor stand, which are great for taking into the Wicker Man queue. :) 

There is no passholder discount at Eastern Express though.

Doublethink
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Do Woodcutter's and Rollercoaster Restaurant both do MAP discount?

Have tried Pizza pasta (Thorpe variant) which is ok and RCR (got food poisoning so not too keen to go back) so perhaps Woodcutter's for a change :)

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Both restaurants offer MAP discount which is currently 20% off.

loopdeloop
TT Member
TT Member

Gate opening ride order during Scarefest?

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi,
Not been in the 2018 season so far but thinking of going for Oct half term. 

My usual plan in previous seasons with ERT was Spinball, Oblivion, Ent in ERT, then Smiler at 10, then on to Rita, 13, Nemesis, Air.

However WM now changes that and it's scarefest so no ERT (grrrrr).

Plan to be at the gate at good time before opening.  Whats the current perceived wisdom for ride order at gate opening now WM is open and with no ERT ?

I'm thinking - WM, Spinball, Smiler, Oblivion ....  ?

Am I right you can't buy a solo fastrack for WM ?

DerpyQuark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:00 pm

The Smiler didn’t offer individual fast tracks when it first opened, so I’m thinking that will be the case for WM, too.
When I was little, there was a shipping container at the end of our playground. When none of the teachers were looking, I used to go into it. In it, Nick Varney used to talk to me, brainwashing me into loving anything Merlin ever made or ever will. Even if it was the worst.

And that's why I like the Stargazing Pods.

Mikw
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Gate opening ride order during Scarefest?

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:28 pm

loopdeloop wrote:
Hi,

My usual plan in previous seasons with ERT was Spinball, Oblivion, Ent in ERT, then Smiler at 10, then on to Rita, 13, Nemesis, Air.

Plan to be at the gate at good time before opening.  Whats the current perceived wisdom for ride order at gate opening now WM is open and with no ERT ?

When is half term?

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:00 pm

Mikw wrote:
loopdeloop wrote:
Hi,

When is half term?

3 weeks time for Staffordshire (which Towers base their half term times off).
[Insert Signature Here]

loopdeloop
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Our H/T is w/c 22 Oct but according to Staffordshire schools website Staffordshire is the following week, w/c 29 Oct.: https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/education/schoolsandcolleges/Termdates/home.aspx 

That'll be a result if it is as I'm thinking of going Sunday and Monday.

Anyway what about ride order at gate open - Wickerman first then Smiler, Oblivion, Spinball, ?

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Mikw wrote:
loopdeloop wrote:
Hi,

When is half term?

The majority of schools in nearby areas half terms are between 22nd Oct - 2nd Nov (Staffordshire, Derbyshire...) - however other factors may cause other periods to be busy too, especially weather, so be sure to check the forecast before visiting. 

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:19 pm

Seen a bit of a Scarefest video showing the board outside Project 42 and noticed it mentions the use of latex. Is this just for the actor prosthetics? I ask since I've bought my mum tickets and she is allergic to latex.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Latex is a very common material in horror make up. It’s a contact maze so your mum would probably best to avoid it. It should just be the actors and not set decoration or anything.
Thanks bubbles What a lad

Doublethink
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:56 am

35+mph winds predicted all day Saturday- guessing that means no coasters and potential park closure? We have our scarefest tickets and hotels booked :(

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:10 pm

I highly doubt there will be a park closure, especially considering its Scarefest. However, if that was to happen against the odds contact the resort and they will most likely re-validate your tickets, and give you a discounted hotel room for your next visit!  :)

Piplup2003
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Ohh, I REALLY hope that it's not windy! I'm going on Saturday for the first time without parents and teachers (just me and a friend, woo!!) and it'll be my first Scarefest! 
This is a local signature for local people, there's nothing for you here.

DrKelman
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:00 pm

A friend of mine is dressing up for Scarefest and he's dressing as a Phalanx Operator, I know Alton do not allow masks at all but he was wondering if they allow toy guns (I'm thinking they most likely don't but it doesn't hurt to ask)