UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Kaycee

Re: Oblivion

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:30 am

"kingda dude" wrote:
I know they sometimes don't hold you up there in summer but I have never known it to be much longer than three seconds, ever.

They never control the time you're held up there. As long as the drop conveyor is working as normal, you should be held up there about 3 seconds regardless of the time of year. :)

Hark

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:33 am

I still don't understand why 1 shuttle never holds for more than a second at most? Is it a problem with the ratchet on the train not linking with the drop conveyor?

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:31 pm

^ I noticed that last time I was there. It really took me by surprise!
Hopefully will get a few rides in tomorrow if its not too busy and SRQ is short.
Yay.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:38 am

Oblivion
Oblivion beckons you to face your fears, and as you’re held, overhanging the edge of the world’s first vertical drop rollercoaster, you get a moment to savour what is to come. Prepare yourself - the drop into Oblivion is imminent.

With the closed season upon us, how would you review Oblivion at the Alton Towers Resort?

TheDuke
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Oblivion - General Discussion

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Those videos are great marketing, really enjoy them wish I had some google cardboard or something.

It would be great if we see oblivion get an extension to it after the drop like majority of new drop coasters however its very unlikely due to cost and space available.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:24 pm

I have a soft spot for Oblivion. It may only be simplistic for a coaster by my god does it pack a punch. I always go out of my way to ride it more than once too. I think it’s perfect the way it is. It’s focus is the drop, nothing else and I think that works wonderfully. It’s so simple, yet so effective.
Even the good can fall from grace

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:47 pm

I'm like Dom. I have a soft spot for Oblivion. I absolutely love the drop and the simplicity of it! It's the only drop that still gets me every time.
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:32 pm

I also love the drop on Oblivion and I find the pop of airtime before hitting the brakes very satisfying!  Its joint second with Nemesis in terms of Big Six rankings in my opinion. Having said that, it is the roughest B&M coaster I have done. It isn't terribly rough but there is a fair share of judder at the bottom of the drop.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Azi889
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:17 pm

I like oblivion. Although sometimes I feel the que to ride time is a little long for how long you are on the ride. I’ll nevee forget when it opened and the terror of going on it for the first time.

It’s definitley a classic now and think it will be around for a long time to come. I do hope so anyway :-)

It fits in perfectly with the x sector theming I just wish it was a little longer but understand with the space and height requirements why it is how it is. All round great ride though!

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:17 pm

Smiler313 wrote:
I also love the drop on Oblivion and I find the pop of airtime before hitting the brakes very satisfying!  Its joint second with Nemesis in terms of Big Six rankings in my opinion. Having said that, it is the roughest B&M coaster I have done. It isn't terribly rough but there is a fair share of judder at the bottom of the drop.

You haven’t ridden Draggon Khan at PortAventura then...

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:27 pm

No I have not :lol
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Smiler313 wrote:
No I have not :lol

That is a very rough B&M, the roughest I have ridden. 
Oblivion is, in my opinion, a very smooth ride and like others have said, the simplicity of the ride is what makes it. Oblivion is the only ride that makes me feel like I did when I first rode it. I always get nervous on the turnaround to the drop and I absolutly love the theme and feel of the ride. 

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:41 am

I consider Oblivion to be a classic and iconic ride of Alton Towers. It is one of the few rides to put me on edge when I'm either riding for the first time in the season or after a couple of months. Clicking up the lift hill provides some of the best views of the Staffordshire countryside and the park itself, although the drop still offers a punch every single time. I honestly don't think I can go down it quietly as 'Wheeeehhhhheeeeyyyyyyy' usually leaves my mouth as I plunge into the ground! It is a very smooth ride, apart from a little bit of juddering on the brake run which is to be expected. It is a workhorse and I can see Alton Towers keeping it for many years to come, especially when similar dive coasters are still being installed. 

Although Oblivion has a very 90s theme, it works so well! I wouldn't want anyone to change it too much, although I believe some the theming could be renewed, fixed or built upon. My only niggle is that X-Sell is still closed, therefore giving off the wrong impression when you exit the ride!

vikkimoo
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Brilliant but terrifying! This is the one that for me needs the most psyching up before I go on it - really not a fan of heights but make myself do it every trip.

Convinced my mum to go on it once and at the top she goes "oooh it's a lovely view" - I looked at her and her eyes were jammed shut!!!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Isn't it amazing that the most basic of coasters can create so much tension!