UK theme parks from another point of view!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Oblivion - General Discussion

Tue May 15, 2018 8:25 pm

I can understand this! Usually, the first ride of the season gets me, however, after this I am fine and love the ride! 

A simple classic!

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 pm

I still find Oblivion terrifying still, it's the only ride that never fails to have me screaming.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 17, 2018 11:28 pm

I originally dismissed Oblivion because of how short it looked. I eventually did decide to go on it, but only because I wanted to look down the hole. And what can I say, it's extremely exhilarating, and although it's a short ride, that doesn't detract from its sheer intensity! Really love Oblivion now!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Press are doing their Oblivion got stuck 180ft in the air with its passengers left dangling, etc etc, nonsense.

Looks like it had a regular shut down and guest disembark, which got picked up by the local press and one tabloid so far with their usual high quality reporting and accuracy.

I do love when they report that guests were stuck 180ft in the air they do it with a picture showing the ride next to a tree. We have a lot of 180ft trees in this country! :lol

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:51 am

The Sun wrote: 
Thrill-seekers in Staffordshire were reportedly stuck on the vertical drop segment of Oblivion for at least 30 minutes at around 2pm.

:lol  G R A V I T Y 

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:41 am

There is no hope.

Shows picture of ride stopped going upwards at very clear non-vertical angle at tree height.

Writes crazy.

Looks like it's time for the operations manager to get back out and make another video explaining basic physics.

ChessingtonSam
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:23 am

Robert.W wrote:
The Sun wrote: 
Thrill-seekers in Staffordshire were reportedly stuck on the vertical drop segment of Oblivion for at least 30 minutes at around 2pm.

:lol  G R A V I T Y 

What? How have they been allowed to write that? I don't see how you can even make that mistake, it has to be just a straight up lie.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:31 pm

Unfortunately, it seems to happen a lot. What some papers write is laughable :lol You can tell they have absolutely no knowledge, which is extremely disappointing, especially when you know it is so far from the truth :(

MIR
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:36 pm

These news outlets are clearly just using these normal and safe operational events to drive traffic to their websites / online media and purchases of their papers, and nothing more. They should be ashamed of themselves - it isn't good journalism - and all they are doing is exploiting (for presumably, financial gain) the change in UK public perception of Alton Towers’ ride safety following the lone and extremely rare incident on The Smiler.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:42 am

Something really needs to be done when they're making mistakes this bad! Anyone with logic should be able to tell that this is impossible... It sucks that things such as this can get printed with no repercussions. I guess they're seeing the high hits on websites such as this talking about these rides and wanna get in on the action.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:20 am

Alton Towers have released a brand new mug and keyring to mark Oblivion's 20th Birthday.
Source: http://www.themeparkguide.biz/

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:34 am

That new logo works quite nicely in my opinion!
Formally Smiler313

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Saw that yesterday, works quite nicely, I think! Glad they're at least celebrating it in some way.

Toborg123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:43 am

What's with Oblivion only running side A of the station? Third time at the Towers this year and I've yet to see A and B in operation yet!

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:53 am

Toborg123 wrote:
What's with Oblivion only running side A of the station? Third time at the Towers this year and I've yet to see A and B in operation yet!

It’s because they only have the budget to staff one station operation on all but the busiest of days.

It does run both stations when the park is exceptionally busy.

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:26 pm

They were loading both stations on Monday when I was there

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:55 pm

After several days of closure, it looks as though Oblivion has now reopened (going by ridetimes.co.uk).

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:18 pm

lewis97 wrote:
After several days of closure, it looks as though Oblivion has now reopened (going by ridetimes.co.uk).

Oblivion reopened yesterday, albeit slightly later than advertised. Hopefully they've got the issues sorted now though! 

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:36 pm

Robert.W wrote:
lewis97 wrote:

Oblivion reopened yesterday, albeit slightly later than advertised. Hopefully they've got the issues sorted now though! 

Ah fair enough, I must have missed that! Seems like it was also delayed in opening today as well then.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:21 pm

As reported by TowersTimes Facebook; Oblivion celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. To help mark the occasion, check out our exclusive front seat POV, filmed in conjunction with Alton Towers.

For the full video, as well as full POVs of Wicker Man and Nemesis, head over to our YouTube Channel: http://bit.ly/OblivionPOV

Have you experienced the world’s first B&M dive coaster?