General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

2010: Sonic Spinball

TT Member
User

Nathan

Re: 2010: Spinball Whizzer Re-Theme!

by Nathan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:10 pm

I actually think those cars look pretty cool!

I really hope Alton give the cars some new shells rather than just put a few stickers on. What would be awesome would be on-board speakers that played the sound of when Sonic collects a gold ring! How neat would that be?!

Very wishful thinking but an idea nevertheless.
TT Member
User

Gloomy Dude

by Gloomy Dude » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:13 pm

"Mackem Lad" wrote:
I really hope Alton give the cars some new shells rather than just put a few stickers on. What would be awesome would be on-board speakers that played the sound of when Sonic collects a gold ring! How neat would that be?!

Amen on the new shells! Also, maybe not on-board sound, but some 'gold ring collecting' sounds played on the 2 mid-course brake runs?
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride

User

AstroDan

by AstroDan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:20 pm

New shells would be expensive... We'll see. Also, they have to be careful with noise.
TT Member
User

Gloomy Dude

by Gloomy Dude » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:23 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:New shells would be expensive...

Mere pocket change to mighty Sega... Our new theming sugar daddies :lol:
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride

TT Member
User

Bote

by Bote » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:27 pm

"Gloomy Dude" wrote:Also, maybe not on-board sound, but some 'gold ring collecting' sounds played on the 2 mid-course brake runs?

And put a big gold ring around each break run, so the sound plays as you pass through it.
"Gloomy Dude" wrote:mighty Sega

Wooo! Up yours Nintendo :P
TT Member
User

WillXav

by WillXav » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:37 pm

I would also love the gold rings that would play that famous ring sound. New cars and on-board speakers would be amazing as well as a better themed ride. I can see this lasting for a 5-yr contract.

Having new cars, on-board speakers and sonic themeing would be amazing but it wouldn't be incredibly expensive and Alton Towers can afford to, especially when the deal to buy Busch Ent is / has been signed and it is their 30th Bday.

User

AstroDan

by AstroDan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:42 pm

Guys... I really don't think this will be any more than a re-paint, replace the theming that is already there and add a new soundtrack.

All this talk of onboard sound etc. seems a little OTT! This is strictly going to be the 2nd rate change for 2010. Don't forget the small matter of a World First Coaster the other side of the park to worry about.

:lol:
TT Member
User

Nightfall

by Nightfall » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Adding speakers to a small cart like Spinball might be easier as all the seats are around a central point but the weight would muck the ride physics up.
ImageImage
TT Member
User

haydn!

by haydn! » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:16 pm

"elementist" wrote:Having new cars, on-board speakers and sonic themeing would be amazing but it wouldn't be incredibly expensive and Alton Towers can afford to, especially when the deal to buy Busch Ent is / has been signed and it is their 30th Bday.

It would be an unnecessary expense for a medium sized attraction. The ride is already as good as its gonna get, a change of theme will not make it a better ride. It will just make it easier to re-market.

Plus, the Busch Entertainments deal is totally irrelevant. Alton Towers investments are based on Alton Towers own personal income. They spend in relation to their own performance and money they make, not the group as a whole.
TT Member
User

Bubbaride

by Bubbaride » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 pm

There is siad to be a new sonic game out into 2010. Do you think (if the ride gets a sonic retheme) that it will tie into the game?

TT Member
User

Altonator

by Altonator » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:11 am

"Bubbaride" wrote:There is siad to be a new sonic game out into 2010. Do you think (if the ride gets a sonic retheme) that it will tie into the game?

Yes please we will have an SW6 level, FV level, XS level etc :P :P :P :P

Cheers for the pics Ben :D :D :D
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
TT Member
User

jmdarsenal

by jmdarsenal » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:46 am

It would be nice to have the car's painted, so you'd have a blue sonic one, black shadow one, red knuckles one, yellow tails one etc. I'm sure this could be done pretty cheaply couldn't it :D
TT Member
User

James6

by James6 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:04 am

I'm really glad that good ol' Spinball Whizzer is getting some attention, but I would of thought that if it wasn't being re-located, and was being re-themed then they would have gone for a less garish new colour scheme. Some greens and browns were what I was expecting.

Still any attention is good attention I guess, but I do hope this is just a re-paint and at most a few more bits of Pinball theming. I love that idea, it just wasn't implemented as well as it could have been. I'm just not that fond of a Sonic themed ride. Also, wasn't Merlin trying to get rid of any sponsorship deals/ out of park companies? ( E.g Beanoland)
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
TT Member
User

SEALIFE

by SEALIFE » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:14 pm

"James6" wrote:I'm really glad that good ol' Spinball Whizzer is getting some attention, but I would of thought that if it wasn't being re-located, and was being re-themed then they would have gone for a less garish new colour scheme. Some greens and browns were what I was expecting.

Still any attention is good attention I guess, but I do hope this is just a re-paint and at most a few more bits of Pinball theming. I love that idea, it just wasn't implemented as well as it could have been. I'm just not that fond of a Sonic themed ride. Also, wasn't Merlin trying to get rid of any sponsorship deals/ out of park companies? ( E.g Beanoland)

Thats exactly what I thought.. Im sure I read/saw somewhere that Merlin wanted to get rid of all sponsers and not wanted to buy more, unless of course they changed there mind that is.
TT Member
User

seanyboyuk

by seanyboyuk » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:59 pm

this is good news indeed that the park have aquired such a big franchise name!

maybe that whole area will get a theme to match the ride?

i disco coaster would be an ideal replacement for the mini beastie!

could make the area look fantastic
TT Member
User

James6

by James6 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:08 pm

A disko coaster?

I would really appreciate if the parks were more creative than that. I know it was Tussauds' "lazy days" but I really dislike the fact that between the 3 parks there are;

- 2 Intamin Accelerators
- 2 Maurer Sohne Spinners
- 2 B&M inverters
- 2 Huss top spins
- 2 Zierer Wave Swingers
- 2 Huss pirate ships
- 2 Huss Enterprise's
- 2 Mack shoot em' up's

(Ones underlined are of course, minor points)

With the amount of types of rides in the world, available from lots of different manafacturers I don't think there should ever really be the same ride twice.

(Apologies for going off-topic)
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

User

Big Dave

by Big Dave » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:56 pm

Yes but they pick the best rides for their parks. In the Uk they have to stick to certain height and size restrictions. Some rides are therefore just not practical. Other rides simply do not offer such a great ride experience compared to others. You should be glad that Merlin are prepared to invest in worlds first rides that dont need to be tall or faster and to say that Rita and Stealth are the same is like saying any ride with a drop is the same. The have different ride layouts and offer a different ride experience.

Im all for new ride types, but you cannot really moan about the rides they have got. If that is the case you could argue that Europa is rubbish because nearly all the rides are made by Mack.
TT Member
User

haydn!

by haydn! » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:16 am

"James6" wrote:A disko coaster?

I would really appreciate if the parks were more creative than that. I know it was Tussauds' "lazy days" but I really dislike the fact that between the 3 parks there are;

- 2 Intamin Accelerators
- 2 B&M inverters

The fact that the three parks share similar rides is completely irrelevant. Both accelerators are completely different, both inverters are again completely different and both spinning coasters are different. Same technologies but completely different experiences.

Saying Merlin/Tussauds have been lazy because of the above is nearly as pointless as saying any park with two coasters is being lazy for not getting something different!
TT Member
User

Spike

by Spike » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:10 am

"James6" wrote:A disko coaster?

- 2 Intamin Accelerators
- 2 B&M inverters
- 2 Huss top spins
- 2 Zierer Wave Swingers
- 2 Huss pirate ships
- 2 Huss Enterprise's
- 2 Mack shoot em' up's

They are creative to an extent, they're not clones like Batman for Six Flags.

Both Accelerators are a completely different ride experience as are the Inverters, Shoot em' ups & spinners.

One enterprise you can argue is from DMP, pirate ships are common place as a cheap filler and the Wave swingers were installed at completely different decades I think.

The top spins offer different ride experiences too, I prefer Rammy Rammy to Rippy Rippy.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
TT Member
User

WillXav

by WillXav » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Does it really matter? when everyone loves / likes the rides and go on them. I can't believe you used the "but they have 2 Intamin Accelerators" excuse when they are two different layouts and experiences.

Stealth - granted special permission for ride height, short but intensely fun ride
Rita - general planning permission forbidden tall ride height, long but intensely-fun
PreviousNext