UK theme parks from another point of view!

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Re: 2010: Spinball Whizzer Re-Theme!

Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:42 pm

I think you all misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't actually say the rides are the same, we all know they are different and offer different ride experiences, but to the public, they're not so different. I often hear people talking about Rita and Stealth, Nemesis and Nemesis Inferno together and comparing them closely.

You all seemed to completely miss my point, but nevermind.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:08 pm

The more I hear (and now see with those photos) the more I feel that this "New Sonic Ride" will simply be a hasty sign change and track re-paint. I really don't think the cars will get changed much (maybe with the SEGA logo decal added) and that's that - not forgetting a new soundtrack. The only themeing change I could think of would be those queueline games. But, other than that I can't see much else happening.

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

Skumfidus

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:12 pm

If this goes ahead I can see this going 2 ways ->

- A whole hearted attempt at a Sonic theme, complete with huge Sonic statue and rings
, with those swingy checkpoint things on the brake runs and an animatronic Dr. Robotnik on the final helix

OR

- a ridiculously quick paint job, cardboard cut-out of Sonic in the station as a height stick and a new sign pasted over the old one.

Personally, I don't want either... Spinball is in such an awful place, and to capture the Sonic feel it needs to look louder, more colourful and have sound effects...it would ruin an already unsightly area of the park... the ride already seems to have crept into the heritage of the lawns and the view of the towers.

Another reason why this Sonic idea has appeared is maybe for a retheme if the ride is moved into the black hole tent...Sonic in X-Sector? *vomits*

Personally I feel that Spinball needs to be left as it is, then moved elsewhere (preferably another park!) with a totally different theme fitting with it's final destination!

Sam-urai
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Were are all of these photos everyone is taking about?
Please visit Merlin Mania - [url=http://www.merlinmania.com/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.merlinmania.com/[/url]

Bote
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:42 pm

If you mean the ones of the progress painting so far, see page 14, posted by oldgitBEN.

Sam-urai
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks you, It is looking very good now, love the new color!
Please visit Merlin Mania - [url=http://www.merlinmania.com/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.merlinmania.com/[/url]

riderita
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:57 pm

Found a blast from the past...

You have permission to slap if it's already been posted...

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJDz67nV3DU&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJDz67nV ... re=related[/url]

mattbailey
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:59 pm

"riderita" wrote:
Found a blast from the past...

You have permission to slap if it's already been posted...

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJDz67nV3DU&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJDz67nV ... re=related[/url]

I was gonna post the link to the MP3 the other day, but I lost the website. Good find on Youtube!

AstroDan

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:07 am

I can never hear enough of the fabulous Toyland Tours music, especially Sonic.

They could easily use that for part of it.

:D

oldgitBEN

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:32 am

EXCELLENT FIND!
Oh that must return its perfect! I sooo miss toyland tours

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:26 am

This retheme is a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere (such as sprucing up X-Sector). Not only does the new blue make the ride stand out further, it is also not as attractive as the teal blue. It is also likely to be louder and more garish, and people may become lets say "attached" to the beloved Sonic from theme from good 'ole Toyland Tours (in the case of enthusiasts) and when they do remove the ride they will be upset (well, some people anyway and 11 year old kids demanding the return of Sonic LOL).

If you are in favour for this new Sonic themed ride (?), but have previously complained about the intrusion of the ride onto the Towers tranquility - you are a hipocrite (a tad harsh maybe). People are keen to knock the ride with its current theme, but now it is getting a theme you are interested in you are happy to let slip that the major underlying problem could potentially get worse? (I think we can assume the theme isn't going to be toned down).

I'm sorry but it seems very unproffesional on Towers behalf to retheme a ride (potentially making the original problem worse) when plans are to relocate it very soon:?:

Soz about the moan there, but it makes no sense to make the main problem of a ride worse...

aru
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:57 am

This is most likely a financial decision. Sega will pay for the retheme and the privilege of having their new game promoted. It is nothing to do with diverting cash. I'm guessing that it is a short-term deal which will not make Spinball look any worse than it does now.

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:11 am

Don't worry there Chris, I'm pretty sure Alton know what they're doing with the budget, and besides, this is hardly a costly retheme going on, probably just a repaint and a small amount of scenery. I actually Like the blue as well, the teal was more garish in my eyes as it is a lighter more vibrant shade. At least the new blue is a bit more subtle! Also the reason people knock Spinball is not because the Pinball theme is bad, it's just because how it was implemented was lazy and uninspired (the late Tussauds curse!)

Oh yeah, and there is absolutely nothing which is confirming this relocation myth, and to be honest this in my eyes is more likely disproving it! I would imagine they have looked at all this and measured it's longevity as a plan. Just think, the Flumes spnsorship was originally 5 years, so why would one from Sega be any shorter?

Bote
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:19 am

Just remember though, whilst we are definatly seeing a repaint, the Sega/Sonic theme is still not set in stone. Although, I really hope this goes ahead. Sega and Alton. Two of my favourite things coming together :love:

All I can say, roll on 2010 :lol:

Big Dave

Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:45 pm

If Sonic is coming to the park, then I can see Sega wanting to set a minimum standard and will make Alton Towers do more than just a quick paint job. This is not only going to effect peoples opinions on Alton Towers but also Sega so they will want it to look good.

riderita
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:55 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:
This retheme is a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere (such as sprucing up X-Sector).

Totally agree! :clap:

But if it isn't Alton's budget (sponsorship money) and we have the opportunity to see the back of the Tussauds monstrosity then isn't this a win win?

Oh, would you look at that! There's a new sonic game coming out on 26th March...

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing With Banjo-Kazooie

[url=http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/10165045/Sonic-Sega-All-Stars-Racing/Product.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/10 ... oduct.html[/url]

Watch the video and tell me this wacky racers/ mario karts style game wouldn't make an awesome theme.

We are also be losing a racing themed ride next year (Rita)... one to fill it's space?

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:05 pm

We are also be losing a racing themed ride next year (Rita)... one to fill it's space?

It would be an awesomely efficient idea of the park to recycle from Rita themeing. Retheme the tyre and use as it the entrance perhaps. *Thinks* OK, so that's the only piece of themeing Rita has but, still...

Thinking of the area, Sonic does make a lot of sense. I wish they're close off the current entrance section to Adventure Land and have people go through Storybook Land instead. Would give some footfall to the best themed part of the park, and would probably extend Spinballs longevity as less people would just walk straight onto the ride when walking through the park. Not to mention it'd be less intrusive of the Towers.

ATR09
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 pm

"riderita""][quote=""CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:
This retheme is a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere (such as sprucing up X-Sector).

Totally agree! :clap: [/quote]

Just remember, this is all being payed for by Sega, so it's not exactly money that could be used somewhere else. Unless you want to see Sonic Oblivion!

AWTSW90
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:55 pm

"NF2" wrote:
Oh yeah, and there is absolutely nothing which is confirming this relocation myth, and to be honest this in my eyes is more likely disproving it!

Apart from the confirmation from Alton Towers themselves in their 10 year development plan...

Thanks to ATA for the picture

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:34 pm

Can someone go back a bit and find where it was confirmed that the repaint is Sonic (Sega). I wasn’t aware that it was confirmed and everyone seems to be talking about the slight colour change like we know a bit more.
ImageImage