General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Community Advocate
User

Owen

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

by Owen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Sawboss wrote:I agree the projectors are unique and I think they should stay, I was just curious what else the park could conceivably do. The ride is now in it's 4th(?) year so much expense isn't likely anyway.

Oh yeah I know that haha, like I say I would just hope to see them come up with a long term solution for them. :)
TT Member
User

Smiler313

by Smiler313 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:17 pm

When I first rode in 2013, the projection room was such a disturbing room to wait in, because of the projections and strobes. What makes them so great is due to the 3D patterns on the wall. The only compromise that they could do is have several screens at different angles in the same places (sorry that may be a bit confusing but it is the best way I can think of putting it)to produce a similar effect.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'
Community Advocate
User

Owen

by Owen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:24 pm

See I thought this but then the whole idea of keeping the room dark may be put at risk as light will be sent outward as opposed to reflected off of the wall. Not to mention would they really spend that much to get custom made screen panels? :lol
TT Member
User

Smiler313

by Smiler313 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Yeah I see what you mean. Reflecting it off a surface dos help make a room darker. :)
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'
Fabulous
User

Dom

by Dom » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:52 pm

I don't think i ever saw the projection mapping ever working in the room. I quite like the dingy dungeon feel it currently has.

TT Member
User

Samual41

The Smiler Corrected Theme

by Samual41 » Sun May 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Does anyone know if the corrected theme will come back to The Smiler because after it was removed it has really had a bad effect on the ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Community Advocate
User

Dan

Re: The Smiler Corrected Theme

by Dan » Sun May 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Samual41 wrote:Does anyone know if the corrected theme will come back to The Smiler because after it was removed it has really had a bad effect on the ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I highly doubt it.

I personally don't feel that the removal of the "Correction" element of the theme has had that big of an impact. The soundtrack and Marmaliser are still the same as they were before the incident so the only real differences are at the base of the vertical lift hill and in the indoor queue line.

I do think they could have jet washed the wall around the vertical lift as you can still see the outline of the lettering but that is my only criticism of the alterations that were made.
Previous