UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:57 pm

I like how they made a video response to this as well as a statement. This effort made by the resort really shows how much they care about safety, debunking the media and resorting the faith in the GP.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:09 pm

It also stops the gutter press printing tomorrow

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:23 pm

This is great. The incorrect news stories and the ones that have to talk about the smiler any time Alton towers is mentioned make me really angry. The gp's perspective of roller coasters being dangerous is all down to the press. It's fantastic to see that Alton towers are finally standing up and saying what really happened.
GodBlessTeaTowels

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:28 pm

A no-nonsense policy is the best way to deal with situations like this!
To be honest, it is not even worth reporting on and in fact highlights the poor quality of news journalism and the quality of those publications. At the end of the day, it is click bait which in turn generates revenue for these organisations.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:25 am

THE SMILER
The Smiler is the world’s first 14 loop rollercoaster. It’s twisting track combines the world beating 14 loops with a speed of 85 km/hr and a track length 3x longer than Oblivion!

With the closed season upon us, how would you review The Smiler at the Alton Towers Resort?

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:58 pm

No comment :lol But yay for being a world record holder. 
Even the good can fall from grace

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 pm

In a nutshell, I think it is a fantastic ride! However, unless it has major TLC work, it will never ever have the same 'vibe', atmosphere and freshness as 2013. 
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 pm

I think that the Smiler has paved the way for rollercoaster presentation. Never before have I heard of a scare maze detailing the backstory of the attraction, nor of the videos they released going into depths of the story, or well, this - http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/21/eweve-bee ... d-3359300/. For that, I believe it would be criminal to overlook those elements so fast. I believe that they created great atmosphere and anticipation for the ride, really putting a lot of effort into the experience, trying to make it more than just a piece of track, throwing detail into everything. Great examples of this are the indoor queue room, the area you have to walk through before you get out and the fact that the logo was built into the track. The indoor room uses optical illusions to help get across the mesmerizing message before you even boarded it. It would be so easy to not include something as such in the queue, but they did it anyway. On top of that, am I the only one who gets chills when I go to leave, walking through that weird zone at the end? Extra details like this would be so easy to not do, but they put the extra effort in, and do them, adding to the entire experience. That said, the experience around the ride is different from the ride itself, and although they succeeded immensely with the atmosphere, I can see why people do not like the ride itself. I myself haven't ridden it in quite some time, but the last time I rode it, I greatly enjoyed it! I find it exhilarating and always fun, a must do when I go to Alton Towers.
Because they put so much effort into everything, I can't help but be astounded by this attraction and rate it my favourite ride.
The only thing that disappoints me about the ride is why did they go for the "world's first 14 looping rollercoaster"?! Surely, with the amount of creativity that went into this project, someone could've thought of something better than the world's most looping coaster! On the other hand, the constant inversions do work with the story of the ride, so I guess it's more a nitpick than anything else.

jwewan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:30 pm

I love the smiler, both the ride and the themeing, but the one thing I can tell stand about it is that I find it to be a really jolty ride. I found it more jolty than all the rides at Blackpool, which is pretty surprising. Still one of my favourite rides, however!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:41 pm

For me, The Smiler is my favourite ride at any UK park. The coaster itself is visually pleasing and builds up the excitement and tension for first-time riders well, especially when entering X-Sector accompanied by The Smiler's theme composed by IMA Score. The yellow and black colour scheme give the ride a modern and industrial look along with the stunning Marmaliser. With the events of 2015 aside, I do believe this is one of Alton's signature rides which will last for many years to come. Even though it was the last major attraction to be added to the park, it still draws the crowds over 4 years since it first opens. 

Unfortunately, the queue line needs attention due to the drainage issues and never-ending queue line. Over Fireworks weekend alone I spent a good 5 minutes getting to the baggage hold alone and we were first in line, avoiding puddles along the way. I do believe the projection room needs a little work too as it seems to be untidy and often misaligned. The ride itself is brilliant though. I enjoy the vibe of the station with the yellow surgery lights over the train. Having been one of the lucky few to have had a behind the scenes tour of the ride, it makes me truly appreciate what goes on behind the scenes to make this ride operate. It is a brilliant experience and one which I never tire of at all.  Yes, there is an odd jolt here and there, but this is part of the ride we all now know and love. As the name says, it certainly makes me Smile throughout, especially when there is an opportunity to ride this menacing ride in the dark!

JC13
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Going on from what Justin said, the queue line needs cleaning up and Gateshead put in to shorten the length of the queue path. Where the sign is that says “No eating or drinking beyond this point” There are no bins. This makes some people just leave bottles and food on the floor, making the last cattlepen outside very dirty