UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
Mikw
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 59
Joined: March 2018

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:51 pm

I've been to Towers loads of times this year, for me The Smiler has been the most reliable coaster on the park, in stark contrast to the first few years.

I don't find it rough either, apart from a couple of jolts. I hope it stays in it's sweet spot. only negative for me is the indoor queue section. That strobe is awful - and if a lot of fastrackers arrive at once, you can be in there for quite a while.  The stairs need a pressure watch and repaint too.
 
User avatar
Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1141
Joined: January 2015
Location: feeding the flames

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Had an awful experience on The Smiler yesterday, and the problem seems to be apparent with a lot of the major coasters at Towers - but mainly The Smiler. Fastrack. Yesterday the advertised 50-minute queue, turned into a 130-minute wait, due to the fact that staff were sending round trains FULL of fastrackers causing the general standby line to be moving even slower than usual, I obviously understand that fastrackers have paid the £10 upcharge, however, fastrack guarantees the wait to be 50% less than the advertised wait - when in fact they weren't having to wait much at all, as all the staff were more focussed on getting them through the queue, instead of the waiting guests. I understand that Scarefest is a busy event, often selling out of fastrack early on during the day(s), but I feel the staff should stick to the fastrack ratios that are apparent (most of the time) during the regular season. Although it's not a too major issue, it is very annoying and a simple problem I'd like them to resolve for either Fireworks or next season. Rant over.  :lol
Image
 
User avatar
Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 585
Joined: June 2015
Location: Devon

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:19 pm

I had this same experience, on my 3rd and final day at scarefest, sunday 21st, me and my brother had bought tickets for the Welcoming at 8pm so we could come out and queue for Wickerman. At 6pm I really wanted to get one more night ride of the Smiler in so we split up, it had 90 min queue but became unavailable, I wandered down anyway and saw quite a few people leaving the queue so I nipped in when the gate opened about 6.15. My friends had joined a queue much bigger than this one the night before and were out in a little over 80 mins.
So I queued by myself for about 100 minutes and didn't even get inside the building before having to wander back aaaaaaaall the way through a packed Smiler queue line that was barely moving for fear of missing my timeslot (Only to realise when I got there they're just a suggested arrival time anyway...). It was painfully slow despite constant trains full of people leaving the station. The square just outside the building where the queue doubles back twice took literally 40 minutes to get from one corner to the other. It put a bit of a damper on what was otherwise a brilliant weekend, The Welcoming and Wickerman in the dark made up for it a bit though!
But yes, fast tracks can be a major pain and single rider is sorely missed.
 
User avatar
Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 459
Joined: July 2016
Location: In The Smiler's Baggage Hold

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:07 pm

Parks on the operations side need to up their game, they now have the guests coming back, now they need single rider queues open and everything as it was. SIngle rider queues help so much especially with The Smiler due to there being so many empty seats. Operations are just not how they used to be. Hopefully now they have had a good year they invest in better operations to satisfy more guests.
Image
Image
Formally Smiler313
 
User avatar
nicky.borrill
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 61
Joined: August 2018
Location: Derbyshire

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:57 am

Stan.H wrote:
Had an awful experience on The Smiler yesterday, and the problem seems to be apparent with a lot of the major coasters at Towers - but mainly The Smiler. Fastrack. Yesterday the advertised 50-minute queue, turned into a 130-minute wait, due to the fact that staff were sending round trains FULL of fastrackers causing the general standby line to be moving even slower than usual, I obviously understand that fastrackers have paid the £10 upcharge, however, fastrack guarantees the wait to be 50% less than the advertised wait - when in fact they weren't having to wait much at all, as all the staff were more focussed on getting them through the queue, instead of the waiting guests. I understand that Scarefest is a busy event, often selling out of fastrack early on during the day(s), but I feel the staff should stick to the fastrack ratios that are apparent (most of the time) during the regular season. Although it's not a too major issue, it is very annoying and a simple problem I'd like them to resolve for either Fireworks or next season. Rant over.  :lol

Where does it state the wait to be 50% less? I’ve never seen this and I use fast track a lot, have done throughout every season and have never waited more than 10 minutes. I wouldn't pay £100 extra for platinum if the wait was only 50% less. I always thought the stand by queue was so called because it was just that, standing by to go through when there are few / no fast tracks.
Image
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 696
Joined: April 2018

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 am

nicky.borrill wrote:
Where does it state the wait to be 50% less? I’ve never seen this and I use fast track a lot, have done throughout every season and have never waited more than 10 minutes. I wouldn't pay £100 extra for platinum if the wait was only 50% less. I always thought the stand by queue was so called because it was just that, standing by to go through when there are few / no fast tracks.

Unless there's something printed at the ticket kiosk - and I'm almost certain there is nothing printed at The Smiler shop kiosk, it would appear it is not an official policy at Alton Towers. I've seen Thorpe social media use it a lot to not deal with customer complaints, I wonder if it hasn't come from the social media team at Alton too.

Here are the actual terms and conditions
which only state there might be a wait still:

Fastrack tickets have limited availability. These tickets are non transferable and must be used on day of purchase. Fastrack tickets do not give choice of seating and may still incur a wait time. Please check at the entrance to the attractions for the restrictions, which apply in all cases. Fastrack tickets can only be used once on each attraction listed on the ticket, with the exception of Fastrack Platinum, which is for unlimited use on the day. The unlimited Fastrack tickets require guests to leave the ride and re-join the Fastrack queue. Prices subject to change.
 
User avatar
Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1141
Joined: January 2015
Location: feeding the flames

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:13 pm

nicky.borrill wrote:
Stan.H wrote:
Had an awful experience on The Smiler yesterday, and the problem seems to be apparent with a lot of the major coasters at Towers - but mainly The Smiler. Fastrack. Yesterday the advertised 50-minute queue, turned into a 130-minute wait, due to the fact that staff were sending round trains FULL of fastrackers causing the general standby line to be moving even slower than usual, I obviously understand that fastrackers have paid the £10 upcharge, however, fastrack guarantees the wait to be 50% less than the advertised wait - when in fact they weren't having to wait much at all, as all the staff were more focussed on getting them through the queue, instead of the waiting guests. I understand that Scarefest is a busy event, often selling out of fastrack early on during the day(s), but I feel the staff should stick to the fastrack ratios that are apparent (most of the time) during the regular season. Although it's not a too major issue, it is very annoying and a simple problem I'd like them to resolve for either Fireworks or next season. Rant over.  :lol

Where does it state the wait to be 50% less? I’ve never seen this and I use fast track a lot, have done throughout every season and have never waited more than 10 minutes. I wouldn't pay £100 extra for platinum if the wait was only 50% less. I always thought the stand by queue was so called because it was just that, standing by to go through when there are few / no fast tracks.

As mentioned by Chris, I don't think it's written out anywhere but I have been told that before when purchasing fastrack as well as enquiring about it on their Social Media's. I did hear from multiple people that the other weekend fastrack queues were as long as an hour for Wicker Man and The Smiler, so it does seem to actually happen. 
Image
 
User avatar
nicky.borrill
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 61
Joined: August 2018
Location: Derbyshire

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Stan.H wrote:
nicky.borrill wrote:
Stan.H wrote:
Had an awful experience on The Smiler yesterday, and the problem seems to be apparent with a lot of the major coasters at Towers - but mainly The Smiler. Fastrack. Yesterday the advertised 50-minute queue, turned into a 130-minute wait, due to the fact that staff were sending round trains FULL of fastrackers causing the general standby line to be moving even slower than usual, I obviously understand that fastrackers have paid the £10 upcharge, however, fastrack guarantees the wait to be 50% less than the advertised wait - when in fact they weren't having to wait much at all, as all the staff were more focussed on getting them through the queue, instead of the waiting guests. I understand that Scarefest is a busy event, often selling out of fastrack early on during the day(s), but I feel the staff should stick to the fastrack ratios that are apparent (most of the time) during the regular season. Although it's not a too major issue, it is very annoying and a simple problem I'd like them to resolve for either Fireworks or next season. Rant over.  :lol

Where does it state the wait to be 50% less? I’ve never seen this and I use fast track a lot, have done throughout every season and have never waited more than 10 minutes. I wouldn't pay £100 extra for platinum if the wait was only 50% less. I always thought the stand by queue was so called because it was just that, standing by to go through when there are few / no fast tracks.

As mentioned by Chris, I don't think it's written out anywhere but I have been told that before when purchasing fastrack as well as enquiring about it on their Social Media's. I did hear from multiple people that the other weekend fastrack queues were as long as an hour for Wicker Man and The Smiler, so it does seem to actually happen. 

The longest I’ve waited in any fastrack ever is actually one time on Rita which was longer than my originally stated 10 minutes and was more like 20 - 25 minutes. That was because they added a train whilst I was waiting. We’ve done 3 Scarefests this year, and 1 Fright Nights and not waited longer than 10 minutes for anything.
Some rides are consistently around the top end of the 10 minute mark though, such as Smiler, Wicker Man and Nemesis (Nemesis due to the joining point in the queue)
Fright Nights was an absoloute disaster though, we paid for the Ultimate Pass, £150!!! as we wanted to get all the coasters in the dark, and the coasters were not open until around 12 - 1 and shut again at 5 because of the cold... All of them except Stealth which repeatedly broke down (3 times in 45 minutes at one point,) and The Walking Dead. To be fair, we were told we could revalidate the passes next year.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests