UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
Sozzy40
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 32
Joined: August 2018
Location: On a woodie

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:51 am

Yeah. I was there yesterday as well and there was a crane by Nemesis around 11:45. Galactica definitely had no VR, meaning that it was running really efficiently and at one point a train slowed on the lift because of block brakes. Also, our group was split up on Wicker Man. We left the station and I looked forward and I didn’t see the rest of my group.

As for Scarefest- Roaming actors were great. The Towers projections were great, they projected a skeleton rock band onto one of the windows. Looked great. Freak Show wanderers were fantastic and the Ghost Pirates were there, they just look very, very similar to the Alton Ancestors. Galactica Airways- well, there were a few in Mutiny Bay, probably because the area around Galactica was dead.

As for night rides- we only did one, due to a jam- packed show schedule. That one was the Runaway Ghost Train. Great ride, we got 9 laps and we’re in the back, so I got some good forces.

The shows- saw nearly all of them. Patch’s Halloween Party saw an introduction to Gretel and was aimed at young kids, as well as the Freaky Five Showtime- which is a combination of three shows back to back: Gretyl’s Spell School, Phil and Franklin’s Ghoulish Games, and Skelvin's Spooky Story Time. Freaky Funk Squad, however was my favourite show.

The most terrifying part of the day was the Sky Ride, and I don’t have a fear of heights!
I can see why the beornen worship Wicker Man
 
User avatar
nicky.borrill
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 61
Joined: August 2018
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:53 pm

AltonOperator wrote:
I left a very negative review here in May so I thought I'd update it after my trip on the 21st-22nd October
Overall the park was fantastic.

Lighting
 I haven't been to Scarefest since 2013 so I'm glad to see that the horrible floods have been replaced with the LEDs with coloured gel filters. Lighting is vital for a night time event so its nice to see them putting a bit of effort in. The park was covered in a yellow rope light with white leds every metre or so. They're absolutely everywhere and I personally didn't mind them but it would have been nice of they were a little more ambient.
Wickerman, however, was lit beautifully with the red leds along with the large fire dome things in the centre. Another small detail was some of the large led fixtures were actually flickering between red and orange giving a lovely fire effect.
The station of wickerman had some quite amusing fixtures too. They're using moving heads in the rafters of the stations with gobos but I've never actually seen them move. They're often several hundreds of pounds each and the exact same effect could be achieved with a light a fraction of the price!
Spoiler: show
Image


Queues
We did very well with the rides. We managed a decent amount of rides without using any kind of passes. On the Monday between 10 and 11am we did Rita x2 and Thirteen x3 all as walk on. it seems that the first hour is perfect for DF and then running round to FV is the next step. Under 20mins for Nemmie and GalacticAir.
I went into detail on how disappointed I was with the ride times system last time and I'm happy to report that they are now being used very effectively. Only once or twice was the queue over the estimate. On CRR the queue said 25mins and we reached the platform in 25:16. Most rides actually overestimated times which was a lovely surprise. Its important to get a nice balance between overestimating to please the guest when they finish and not going too high so people perceive the park to have ridiculous queues. I'm so pleased they've sorted it because I don't mind waiting 80mins as long as I know before hand.
Also we arrived at the entrance at around 9.50 and we managed to pick up tickets and be in the park by 10. Impressive compared to the sham in May.

Rides
  • Nemesis - Nice to see both trains on. It's keeping queues down and I love it. Found it rather smooth and a little forceless this trip though. Maybe I'm getting used to it?
  • GalacticAir - Good as usual. They're batching from the old photo kiosk and sending a large group at a time down to one station or the other. I think it works well. No VR on the second day. I prefer it that way because it keeps queues down and it's rubbish anyway.
  • Duel - Might have been my first ride since the refurb, not sure. It's good as always but is very loud. I obviously wasn't scared by it but I could see why people might be. A lot jumps out at you.
  • RMT - Alright as usual. Did not appreciate the children who had climbed the fence and were playing on the mining theming :(
  • CRR - Got a nasty splash. Noticed inconsistencies with batching. Some couples were left alone in a boat and it annoyed me because it slows things down but we were put with a group of 3 boys. not complaining really they were perfectly well behaved. There were no new boats on - I presume that's coming next year.
  • Th13teen - Got a front and back row ride. Back row over the first drop is underrated. I think its the first time I've ever seen the tesla coil on so that was pretty cool. Also its the first time I figured out why there's a ladder before you walk into the building - its bad luck.
  • Rita - This is the first time I've realised just how rough it is. The launch is still a little thrilling but after that its a bit meh. On the Sunday we did Rita first before Thirteen. We then headed back to Rita to find it had broken down already. At 10.30 in the morning!
  • Oblivion - Fantastic operations. between 0 and 15mins all day as both stations were being used effectively. It was my first time actually queuing for it after using RAP or a breakdown pass in the past - its quite a trek!
  • Hex - My first ride since the refurb. Excellent! I forgot how effective each element of the experience is. The madhouse works so well and all the effects were great. My mum is convinced that the walls in the vault were changed in some way during the refurb but I'm pretty sure they weren't? I haven't done DBGT but I'm proud to say Hex is my favourite dark ride in the country.
  • Wickerman - Wow. Almost everything about it is perfect. I've already talked about it enough so I won't here. They're batching it wrong now. They're stopping the queue at the preshow doors rather than before the baggage hold leading to many hold ups and issues in the station and the automatic door trying to close on a lady in a wheelchair! I got my first back row ride yesterday as well as a backrow night ride later on. I feel a little bad because we were asked to move to the front once we were in the 'pen' and we said we really wanted the back and were told it was fine we could stay but it turns out it was so a disabled guest could have our spot. Whoops. They got on straight after us though so its ok. It was incredible on the back at night with all the effects working and we came off saying how it's definitely not a family ride. Loved it.
Other Things
  • Kellogg's were giving away free Squares samples on the Sunday. I personally approve of this sponsorship because there's no way I'm paying Towers' prices for snacks.
  • We ate at Eastern Express because they offered a vegan meal. My mother enjoyed it and was pleased she didn't have to have jacket potato and beans like usual when eating out. We planned to eat at Explorers' but there was no vegan option as all they do is pizza and pasta and the price had risen drastically since we last checked. I also recommend the cheesy chips from Forest Feast :)
  • Smoking. Its even worse than my last visit. Its actually infuriating. In GalacticAir's queue I saw a lady stood next to a no smoking sign having a fag. It's not just against park rules, its against the law. It was difficult to walk anywhere without having a cloud of whatever the trendiest vape juice is in your face. Its disgusting and needs to stop, The park aren't doing enough to keep it to designated areas. It completely ruins the exciting family atmosphere and makes me want to throw up at times. Anyone caught smoking/vaping outside of a designated area (especially in queues) should be removed from the park. Its just plain horrible without the fact that its bad for the health for everyone around them.
  • Couples - So many couples. They remind me that I'm ugly and will be alone forever! :)

Sorry it was a bit long. I had a brilliant time but it was a shame I couldn't see you all for the event.

Those festoon led lights don’t look great in the day do they? But they do look georgeous at night IMO 
I’m a vaper, I don’t do it in queue lines, I sometimes have a quick suck, not enough to blow anything out, but that’s it... However, I do not use the designated smoking areas either. I use e cigarettes as a form of harm reduction, and have been doing for many years. I.e I do not want to breath in the umpteen carcinogens in smoke either, so I’m not going to go into a smoking area to do something that I can legally, and safely, do indoors at pubs, restaurants and shopping centres :-k 
As for actually smoking outside the designated areas, it happens a lot, and I don’t think it will ever stop. What exactly makes you think it is illegal though? Unless you’re talking about indoors. 
Image
 
User avatar
AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 280
Joined: March 2017
Location: Exactly 65.38 miles from Nemesis' entrance

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:54 pm

nicky.borrill wrote:
Those festoon led lights don’t look great in the day do they? But they do look georgeous at night IMO 
I’m a vaper, I don’t do it in queue lines, I sometimes have a quick suck, not enough to blow anything out, but that’s it... However, I do not use the designated smoking areas either. I use e cigarettes as a form of harm reduction, and have been doing for many years. I.e I do not want to breath in the umpteen carcinogens in smoke either, so I’m not going to go into a smoking area to do something that I can legally, and safely, do indoors at pubs, restaurants and shopping centres :-k 
As for actually smoking outside the designated areas, it happens a lot, and I don’t think it will ever stop. What exactly makes you think it is illegal though? Unless you’re talking about indoors. 

The terms and conditions of the park state: "Smoking (including of e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited other than in the designated smoking areas identified on the park map".
Smoking an e-cigarette outside of the smoking area breaches the terms and conditions one agrees to when entering the park. While on their land, breaking their rules is classed as trespassing so is illegal.
Image
Thanks bubbles What a lad
 
User avatar
nicky.borrill
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 61
Joined: August 2018
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 pm

AltonOperator wrote:
nicky.borrill wrote:
Those festoon led lights don’t look great in the day do they? But they do look georgeous at night IMO 
I’m a vaper, I don’t do it in queue lines, I sometimes have a quick suck, not enough to blow anything out, but that’s it... However, I do not use the designated smoking areas either. I use e cigarettes as a form of harm reduction, and have been doing for many years. I.e I do not want to breath in the umpteen carcinogens in smoke either, so I’m not going to go into a smoking area to do something that I can legally, and safely, do indoors at pubs, restaurants and shopping centres :-k 
As for actually smoking outside the designated areas, it happens a lot, and I don’t think it will ever stop. What exactly makes you think it is illegal though? Unless you’re talking about indoors. 

The terms and conditions of the park state: "Smoking (including of e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited other than in the designated smoking areas identified on the park map".
Smoking an e-cigarette outside of the smoking area breaches the terms and conditions one agrees to when entering the park. While on their land, breaking their rules is classed as trespassing so is illegal.

I know that it breaches the t&cs, but when they don’t even enforce it for harmful tobacco smoke, I’m not damaging my health by joining the smokers and inhaling their smoke. I’m considerate, do not do it in queues, do not blow out huge plumes, do not use sweet or offensive flavours (menthol only) my ecig wouldn’t be visible to children... In fact most people wouldn’t even know I was vaping, I call it stealth vaping. :) 
Image
 
User avatar
PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 366
Joined: November 2012
Location: Derby

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:48 pm

nicky.borrill wrote:
AltonOperator wrote:
nicky.borrill wrote:
Those festoon led lights don’t look great in the day do they? But they do look georgeous at night IMO 
I’m a vaper, I don’t do it in queue lines, I sometimes have a quick suck, not enough to blow anything out, but that’s it... However, I do not use the designated smoking areas either. I use e cigarettes as a form of harm reduction, and have been doing for many years. I.e I do not want to breath in the umpteen carcinogens in smoke either, so I’m not going to go into a smoking area to do something that I can legally, and safely, do indoors at pubs, restaurants and shopping centres :-k 
As for actually smoking outside the designated areas, it happens a lot, and I don’t think it will ever stop. What exactly makes you think it is illegal though? Unless you’re talking about indoors. 

The terms and conditions of the park state: "Smoking (including of e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited other than in the designated smoking areas identified on the park map".
Smoking an e-cigarette outside of the smoking area breaches the terms and conditions one agrees to when entering the park. While on their land, breaking their rules is classed as trespassing so is illegal.

I know that it breaches the t&cs, but when they don’t even enforce it for harmful tobacco smoke, I’m not damaging my health by joining the smokers and inhaling their smoke. I’m considerate, do not do it in queues, do not blow out huge plumes, do not use sweet or offensive flavours (menthol only) my ecig wouldn’t be visible to children... In fact most people wouldn’t even know I was vaping, I call it stealth vaping. :) 


I am also a vaper, but I am not as discrete as you aha.. The way I see it, if staff do not enforce this “law” then I don’t see a reason why I should use the designated areas, as I do not want to inhale the smoke from cigarettes. And like yourself I only vape outside of queues, whilst walking around, occasionally I will have a few puffs in a long waiting queue but this is a very rare situation for me.

I believe I am considerate, and doing the right thing, even if I’m breaking the T&C’s, at least I’m not doing what some of people do in queues, just not respectful and inconsiderate.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
 
User avatar
Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2706
Joined: June 2009
Location: Lincoln

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:32 pm

A gentle reminder that, although it hasn’t been active in a few years, we do have a topic dedicated to People Smoking Outside Of Designated Areas, so can all discussion on this subject be continued in the correct place please?

Thanks :)
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Ismail
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 33
Joined: August 2018

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 pm

The Towers app has had changes. They are quite nice too. I prefer it to the older version, it has a better look and feel to it.

I suppose this shows how much I am missing Towers and it has only been four days! :lol :cry:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests