UK theme parks from another point of view!

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Towers Street are also saying that the Traffic Patrol will be returning this year, which is more good news. No idea where this information has come from but I've never known them be wrong in the past.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Teammaddiz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:58 pm

lewis97 wrote:
However, we are arguably still faced with a worse situation than last year in terms of Early Ride Time and the staggered openings. ERT is still only half an hour and sees a slight reduction in the number of attractions available, although the inclusion of Wicker Man is some consolation, and I suppose removing it as a perk for those who purchase tickets online could be seen as a positive by those still entitled to it. We are also still potentially seeing staggered openings across more of the park than we did last season, with the closing times (and the flexibility of these) remaining to be seen.

Exactly why they've done this. They knew from the start people would complain about 12PM opening just as much as an 11AM opening. They were going to open everything by 11AM anyway, they just needed a reason to justify it. Instead of announcing 11 and probably having to reduce it due to backlash, they've announced 12PM openings and made it seem as though they've listened to the community and "done the right thing" by back tracking to 11AM openings after a few days since the announcement. It's been done before in many different industries for businesses to get what they want, later opening times, whilst at the same time making it look like they care about their consumers and listen to what they say.

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:31 pm

This time last year everyone kicked off just over the 30mins later opening time, before they reverse the idea leaving DF to open at 10.30.   

This year, despite the reversal of the staggard opening times, we are still worse off than last years proposed 30mins later open times.  Yet everyone on FB is singing Alton's praises for doing so  :roll:

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:53 pm

I'll admit, even with the new changes, what we're getting isn't ideal. But considering the measures that they originally announced, this is definitely a bit better.

However, I am relatively pleased at what we have seen changed. More than what I thought would be changed to be honest, and there isn't really any point in complaining anymore as that'll change nothing.

I'm certainly not praising Alton though. Even if at the moment they are under immense financial strain. My response to that is if they don't have the budget necessary to operate what they already have, they should definitely not have been building more new accomodation and big investments in rides, like Wicker Man.

Having said that, my main issue is with Merlin over how they seem to be placing financial restrictions on their resort theme parks recently, especially Alton. Infact, I'd say the budgets given to their theme park resorts are a little disproportionate. They don't seem to understand that Alton needs the extra money, whereas Thorpe seem to be getting enough to the point where they can have late openings in the summer.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Robert.W wrote:
I'm certainly not praising Alton though. Even if at the moment they are under immense financial strain. My response to that is if they don't have the budget necessary to operate what they already have, they should definitely not have been building more new accomodation and big investments in rides, like Wicker Man

Capital Expenditure comes from a different pot than the Operations Budget.

Merlin decide what budget each park is going to get and it’s up them to decide how best to use it. I agree that the budget they have been allocated is nowhere near enough but given that Merlin’s focus is primarily on the Legoland and Midway attractions, I’m not all that surprised.

I would love nothing more than for Alton to return to the glory days and have every single attraction open, every single day but while the RTP’s are being strangled by Merlin we have to be realistic and realise that it isn’t going to happen.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:13 pm

Dan wrote:
Capital Expenditure comes from a different pot than the Operations Budget.

I still think that Alton themselves should be a bit more sensible in expansion of their current offerings, as they should be clever enough to know that even after the initial investment in a new ride, that that new addition needs the money so that it can be maintained and operated, without needing to further reduce the operating times of attractions that they already have.

What I'm saying is that it's all good and well to build a new ride, but I think Alton need to ask themselves wether or not they will get the necessary budget from Merlin to operate it. Most likely they won't, and that's what is frustrating!

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:37 pm

S.J_O'Grady wrote:
Towers Street are also saying that the Traffic Patrol will be returning this year, which is more good news. No idea where this information has come from but I've never known them be wrong in the past.

if this is true, my year has been made.
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

Wagstaff04
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 pm

I agree. They were there on my 1st visit to AT and to see them again will be amazing!

RobJackson85
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:30 pm

streetmagix wrote:
Or you could go the austerity route, cutting services and opening times. Tesco tried this when their 'something for everyone' policy backfired. It made things worse for a while before they started rebounding. It also happened to American Adventure and Pleasureland Southport.

Southport was closed by the Thompson's. It was always busy there, same with Morcombe. The problem with them two was their proximity to their parent park. Blackpool wanted and now have the monopoly over the North West - yes Southport it still going, but, it was closed for a year or two until a local person reopened with every attraction there on a 'temporary' basis. 

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:59 pm

hursty wrote:
Justin wrote:
how about reintroducing sponsorship, as long as it it done correctly without a detrimental affect on the attractions/area!

Unfortunately what we've seen so far with a Carex bottle and some blue bunnies is not really going to bring the really serious revenue, I don't think that Alton Towers is the powerful brand it was the last time they did sponsorship, which is what they need to bring in the big bucks. And I think the chances of screwing it up would be so high and with the reaction to these cuts at the moment, could be perceived as desperate. I think they need to build the brand value back up, before even thinking of overt sponsorship. The other challenge is with things like the IP protection of CBeebies Land, it can significantly limit sponsorship. In terms of reaching the normally desirable 18-30 demographic, there are more modern ways to get through to them with most conventionally strategies seeming dated.

I was thinking more of a few advertising boards around ride areas, and no I am not talking about advertising on scale of the Oblivion and Fanta monstrosity  :lol

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:39 am

I too would rather see a few of the rides with sponsorship as opposed to hours and ride cuts. But obviously in keeping with the theme park as oppose the Oblivion Fanta gate

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Some more confusion, looks like the wording is ambiguous although I hope it means all rides will open at 10am.

https://www.facebook.com/TowersStreet/p ... =3&theater

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:06 pm

We are also aware of this and we are trying to clarify what rides are opening when.
Watch this space :)

TheDuke
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Don't get me wrong this is an improvement but still its really not much better for a park of its calibre to be operating these hours especially on year as big as this. Advertising in my opinion is grand if not done over the top after all you are paying in.

looptheloop
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Also off topic TPW have posted images of the entrance plaza being renovated, including the ticket booths being removed.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:11 pm

looptheloop wrote:
Also off topic TPW have posted images of the entrance plaza being renovated, including the ticket booths being removed.

A few years overdue but still good to see! I hope they extend this to their other parks (assuming it actually works of course)

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:22 pm

Slightly mixed feelings about this. It'll feel much more open, and probably give us a better view of the entrance, so that's definitely a bonus, I just think that it might feel a bit too big... will just have to wait till I experience it in person to really see what it feels like. One think that's a bit weird though... they replaced the roofs of the kiosks entirely a couple of years ago, so it just seems as if their removal was a bit sudden and unplanned...

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:57 pm

To clarify on the opening time. It's simply a technical issue with caching on the official website. Everything is as announced and reported by TowersTimes yesterday. 

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:28 am

Attraction Images have shared this beautiful aerial shot of the park.

I love it!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Gorgeous indeed!