UK theme parks from another point of view!

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:14 am

I must Alton Towers have made a great decision with the introduction of CBeebies Land. They have definitely taken full advantage of the brand and capitalised on it with the introduction of the 2 new rides and the hotel. Whilst it's probably not something thrill seekers are particularly bothered with, it has captured that family market and given them the section for the named rides and the hotel now directed for those younger families, it's definitely I would say increased the attendance for the park. This isn't bad of course, crowd numbers going up and making the park look busier I would say is definitely what the park needs.
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:56 pm

With IMAscore releasing a CD for Thorpe Park Audio, it will be interesting to see if they do anything similar with Alton Towers Resort music from the composer. Personally, I think they will wait a year, because I think we could see a few changes to some rides soundtracks for 2018. I could see them doing something with the Nemesis soundtrack, Duel Soundtrack and maybe even Oblivion's. This will give more to put on the CD. It is all promising!
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 pm

I do agree that an Alton Towers CD should be released if enough material is made. I do feel wonder how well it would be received if they did redo the classic Nemesis or Oblivion soundtracks.

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of IMAscore, but I really don't think that Nemesis should have it's audio redone. It's a brilliant soundtrack, it fits the area nicely and is pretty eerie as it is. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 pm

As posted by Alton Towers, Blade is receiving its winter maintenance.

Zach
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Smiler313 wrote:
With IMAscore releasing a CD for Thorpe Park Audio, it will be interesting to see if they do anything similar with Alton Towers Resort music from the composer. Personally, I think they will wait a year, because I think we could see a few changes to some rides soundtracks for 2018. I could see them doing something with the Nemesis soundtrack, Duel Soundtrack and maybe even Oblivion's. This will give more to put on the CD. It is all promising!

I can’t see Towers changing iconic sound tracks, however I can see them producing more sound tracks for rides and areas with IMAscore. As also said I do think it’ll be an Year if not two before an album is released which reflects that of the one Thorpe have had released, particularly because Scarefest theme music is not currently produced by IMAscore and Fright nights features heavily on the Thorpe album.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:36 pm

I don't believe this has been posted yet, But this is from Alton Towers' most recent blog post. 
People often ask me how we run the best, most thrilling and exhilarating rollercoasters in the world while keeping our guests completely safe? 
That’s the daily balancing act we face here at Alton Towers Resort.
As our group safety boss Dominic Wigley put it recently, ‘we’re here to provide ‘safe, memorable experiences’. And as Health & Safety Director here at Alton Towers safety is my primary concern.
Of course there’s plenty that’s memorable for all the family here at ATR. But we’ve built our name on launching some of the most exciting, ground-breaking rollercoasters in the world. Visitors come seeking the heart-racing, spine-tingling 14-loops of The Smiler and stomach-churning vertical drop of Oblivion.
And with our latest attraction ‘SW8’ due to open in 2018, safety is very much at the forefront of our minds.
We know that confidence in safety at theme parks has been damaged over the last couple of years. So when I joined ATR back in 2016 I made it my mission to restore our guests' confidence so they only ever experience the thrills they choose to take on. 
That’s meant taking action to:
Now, if we have the slightest hint that something’s amiss, we’ll stop a ride to check it before letting it continue operating. The vast majority of the time it’s just a precaution, but better safe than sorry. Of course, no-one wants to visit the park and find their favourite ride isn’t working. And we hope our guests will be patient with us. Sadly, posting to social media won’t get the ride up and running any quicker!! So with all this hard work going on we’re confident 2018 will be our most thrilling, memorable and safest year yet! Want to know more about why rides stop, and what happens if they do? Watch these short videos from our Operations Director, Francis Jackson.

It's mostly stuff to keep the GP calm about safety but I think there's a few things enthusiasts will find interesting such as procedures and new sensors being put in place this closed season. 
[Insert Signature Here]

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:31 am

Bert2theSpark wrote:

It's mostly stuff to keep the GP calm about safety but I think there's a few things enthusiasts will find interesting such as procedures and new sensors being put in place this closed season. 

I believe the additional sensors and procedures are already in place. To me the blog post reads as a re-cap of everything that’s been done since The Smiler crash to try and restore public confidence in the resort.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:52 pm

More work is being done on the evacuation system for the Monorail.
Here are some photos of the ongoing construction. Credit to TowersStreet

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Looking pretty good. I was a bit worried about what it could look like, but they're not too bad.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:49 pm

The theme park gate price has now increased to £55 for adults and £48 for children.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld: From Park to Planet. Experience worlds of wonder, thrills and discovery.

SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:19 pm

MakoMania wrote:
The theme park gate price has now increased to £55 for adults and £48 for children.

Think it's just the adult price which has increased (by £1).

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Robert.W wrote:
Looking pretty good. I was a bit worried about what it could look like, but they're not too bad.

Obviously, needs must and health and safety must come first, but looking at those photos, I do wonder what it will look like from the ground as the view of the monorail trains will become more restricted?

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:04 pm

I can’t help but feel that maybe Alton are being forced to add the evacuation platform to the Monorail.

Like with anything Health & Safety related, there’s always going to be an element that ruins the aesthetic of what was originally installed but in this instance I don’t think it looks too bad.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:07 pm

It is good that the platforms are being installed one side. It is a shame, but understandable!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Justin wrote:
Robert.W wrote:

Obviously, needs must and health and safety must come first, but looking at those photos, I do wonder what it will look like from the ground as the view of the monorail trains will become more restricted?

That is a good point... I guess it could depend on which side of the track they put the evacuation walkways.

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:27 pm

It looks to be on the right which would mean views of Nemesis, Duel, the Mine Train and the Rapids (one side) will be restricted if this is the case. 

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Do you think they could be installing them the entire route? I'd really hope they won't... :no:

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Robert.W wrote:
Do you think they could be installing them the entire route? I'd really hope they won't... :no:

They will most likely be installing them at the block locations. 

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:04 pm

I think it is likely for the majority of the route, otherwise if the monorail breaks down on a section and they can't move it because of a power failure then it it is pointless, causing issues for the park.