UK theme parks from another point of view!

Welcome to the all new TTSP Forum!
We are still working some magic behind the scenes, your patience is requested.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:51 pm

Dan wrote:
I believe it'll be something similar to the Big Six Challenge

Gosh, that'd be a big tease about nothing :(
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued almost 30,000 animals in need!

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:16 am

Wish people would stop freaking out, it's clearly the new 'destination' (or one of) for Galactica. If it was the Big 6 why include aesthetics of only two rides at the park. Galactica background, with Smiler 'S'. The new VR film will have something to do with the Smilers theme most likely.

Count-Vonduel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 am

In my mind, this smiler VR thing can go only 2 ways...both of them ending with an egg being launched at Merlin's face to a soundtrack of self indulgent laughter as they fail to learn anything and continue to add more and more... Sorry I got a bit carried away there!
In my mind it will be ether a really traumatising sanctuary theme or a really garish and sickening drug trip, so I hope its not that!
It could be new VR for Galactica and something new for smiler with both of them being unrelated.

mezza
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:12 am

Hard to see what this could be which isn't a terrible idea.

VR on Smiler is on so many levels unthinkable.

A teaser for a VR on Smiler April fool? No. Still too soon for a silly PR stunt related to the Smiler. Will just cause the press and social media to remind everyone about the accident again.

A new destination for Galactica? Possible, but for all the themes you could choose, why theme it around another coaster you've already got? Does t make a lot of sense.

A big 6 type promotion? Possible, but would be pretty anti-climactic to tease it in this way.

So I hope it's none of these things. But I don't know what else it could be.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22 am

So, it's either something that relates to both Galactica and The Smiler or it's a couple of minor but different changes to both. Being the "newest" coasters of the Big Six, it could easily be something related to that (especially as this is the last year of it being "the big six").

I honestly can't see the park doing anything to The Smiler on a level that would make the press ... they'd be slaughtered.

New event, possibly relating to those two coasters in particular somehow? Maybe "late" night openings on them both? It's ambitious and I don't see why they'd want to open a coaster as far from the hotels as The Smiler, but you never know.

I think the Big Six Challenge is easily the most likely here. Regarding this:

T0mPr1ce wrote:
Wish people would stop freaking out, it's clearly the new 'destination' (or one of) for Galactica. If it was the Big 6 why include aesthetics of only two rides at the park. Galactica background, with Smiler 'S'. The new VR film will have something to do with the Smilers theme most likely.

Why would a Smiler-themed film be put on Galactica? Actually, why would a new film be put on Galactica? Most people are in agreement that it'll be a couple of years or so before we see that. Even if one were to be put on this year, why tease it now? The film would presumably be ready for opening day (no closures announced), so why wait until a week before opening to mention it? This could be marketed as an entirely "new" experience, with its own advertising and everything. As for only showing two of the rides, these are the two newest of the six and are both very popular. No reason why all six have to be on there, it's only the first tease.

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:28 am

Could Behind the Scenes be coming back? However it could be seen as controversial doing it on The Smiler...
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:12 pm

My only other suggestion as to what it could be is another ride battle type thingy, like that Whirled Cup of Rides and that other thing from a few years ago where they plastered tacky signs all over ride entrances.
And what would happen when the creature appeared?

OhShambhala
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:58 pm

I heard someone say on Facebook that maybe The Smiler would get brand new trains perhaps by Mack (similar to big Dand maybe new special effects in the heartline roll tunnel under the station? I don't know how possible this would be, because The Smiler was running with its original trains on the Preview days and I presume it takes a while to install brand new trains and test them!
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Have they not hinted at 'new destinations coming soon'? Also when someone on twitter questioned them about the new destinations their reply was: "We do have a lot planned for Galactica and we would advise to keep an eye to our webpage for more info soon!". This isn't a coincidence, the background of the teaser is obviously Galactica related, they clearly have new videos planned sooner than a couple of years, as why else would they be mentioning new destinations already?

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:03 pm

OhShambhala wrote:
I heard someone say on Facebook that maybe The Smiler would get brand new trains perhaps by Mack (similar to big Dand maybe new special effects in the heartline roll tunnel under the station? I don't know how possible this would be, because The Smiler was running with its original trains on the Preview days and I presume it takes a while to install brand new trains and test them!

As good as this would be, I doubt it's true. Alton Towers just bought a new 4th train last year and I don't reckon they'll want to spend any more on that ride than they already have.

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:39 pm

OhShambhala wrote:

Even if they got the lap bar Infinity trains they would be great. However, it doesn't explain the Galactica thing. Because surely if it was purely The Smiler the marketing would be just for The Smiler.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:02 pm

The Smiler, a coaster famous worldwide for having a major crash which the media has led people to believe was because the ride was unsafe, receiving lap bars, which are widely considered by the GP to be less safe than OTSRs?

Definitely not :P

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:34 pm

As much as I would like The Smiler to have lap restraints, similar to Karnan, I also highly doubt it will happen, considering that the 2017 map still sees OTSR on The Smiler. I kinda have a feeling that a Ministry of Joy related VR sequence to Galactica could be a possibility.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

OhShambhala
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:30 pm

My only bug with having a MOJ film sequence would be that it would make absoloute zero sense. Evil manipulating mind controlling government making people 'smile' by flying through space wouldn't mix well at all.
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Personally I'm thinking it will be one of two things. Either a competiton of sorts, perhaps something like a selfie challenge or best ORP or something like that, or the behind the scenes tours as Smiler313 suggested.

It should be considered that these are the two most popular rides in the theme park, so it could provide an incentive for the average member of the GP to have a tour (thus increasing the people going on the BTS tour and increasing profits). These tours could perhaps be done during ERT, since both rides aren't included in the lineup (and tours cannot be done during normal operation).

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Adam.W wrote:
These tours could perhaps be done during ERT, since both rides aren't included in the lineup (and tours cannot be done during normal operation).

It's woth remembering that the rides not in ERT will be testing during some of that time.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued almost 30,000 animals in need!

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:27 pm

My idea behind this tease (as i have said previously in the SB) Is a new galatica VR sequence where it takes place over the resort and flys over the different rides like The Smiler, Nemesis & etc. Each day thee letters of the coming soon could change to different fonts of the rides and still have a primary sense of the galatica ride. As well as the new destinations coming soon screenshot on the website and Alton Towers tweeting say more to follow.

That's my idea. I would personally love this.

TheDuke
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Deadjack5 wrote:
My idea behind this tease (as i have said previously in the SB) Is a new galatica VR sequence where it takes place over the resort and flys over the different rides like The Smiler, Nemesis & etc. Each day thee letters of the coming soon could change to different fonts of the rides and still have a primary sense of the galatica ride. As well as the new destinations coming soon screenshot on the website and Alton Towers tweeting say more to follow.

That's my idea. I would personally love this.

I didnt know how much I wanted that until I just read that, it would also be very unique as I don't know if anyone has done that before

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 pm

I would love to see a behind the scenes tour but I can't really get excited about it because I know how much Merlin would charge.

The resort wide Galactica thing sounds great but I'm not sure how it would work with the theming. Also, would the film be replaced or would you chose? How would that work? Would it affect operations even more as people would have to decide?
God Bless Tea Towels

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 pm

We have another:

This time it's a Th13teen theme. Certainly does look like the Big 6 Challenge.