UK theme parks from another point of view!

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:09 pm

I was there Thursday and Friday and yes, it’s been ridiculous. My Instagram post (https://instagram.com/p/BhRs7cGnhBw/) lists my many complaints

Wickerman was exceptional. The preshow is dramatic and uses technology well. The coaster itself has good forces and the theming throughout is brilliant. I enjoyed the real fire and mist effects. The ending was very confusing though as everyone expected something to actually happen.

But there were issues. I have a few notes.

1. In the morning, more signage and barriers are needed to inform people which queues are for ERT and which are not.
2. When you open so little at 10am you need to actually open them. You cannot still be testing rides at 10:20. It’s unacceptable to tell people to try another ride when you have only 2 things open.
3. Your queue times need to be accurate. We walked all the way from forbidden valley to dark forest, a 20 minute walk at best, in order to get to Rita which was advertised as a 15 minute queue, only to wait 75 minutes to get in the ride. This happened with Th13teen and Galactica too. The only queuetime that was accurate was Wickerman
4. Rita needs sorting. Over the 2 days we were there, we experienced 4 breakdowns on Rita. Ridiculous.
5. The Galactica VR is ok but slows down the trains for everyone. I think one station should be VR and have one train and the other should be without, and have two trains.
6. Please try and get Nemesis’ second train back!
7. The amount of fasttrack tickets that are being sold means the regular queue suffers and the fasttrack queue is so long they feel ripped off
8. Bring back single rider lines. With the amount you’re making on parking alone, you can afford the staff to man a single rider line.
9. The TLC work so far has been brilliant but next I think a Galactica track repaint and a smiler queue refurbishment are in order.
10. A virtual ride reservation system would be nice to avoid 3 hour queues on Wickerman but i know you’d never even consider it because it would stop you selling the highest tier of Fasttracks

Just some suggestions.
Thanks bubbles What a lad

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:52 pm

You make some really good points there AltonOperator.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Numbers 2 and 3 were the worst. Its no fun running across the park for the queue to be 5 times what it said. Its also ridiculous to still be testing Oblivion, Smiler and Spinball at 10:20 and to be told to try something else when only Wickerman is actually available and has a THREE HOUR QUEUE.
Rita was ridiculous. We got in a 50 minute queue and waited 2 hours only to be told that it was busted and we'd have to leave. A priority pass was given but because there were so many people in that Rita queue getting them, we still had to wait a good half hour for oblivion. It was not enough compensation.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:12 pm

On my last trip we went on 7 rides, Duel and Hex both had short queues and were operating fine but every one of the 5 coasters stopped at least once while we were queuing. You shouldn't hear a 'technical issues' announcement in every single queue.

Hopefully if they get enough complaints the accountants will have to bite the bullet and give Towers an actual effective maintenance budget. I love AT and don't want to see it go downhill.

ChessingtonSam
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:22 pm

AltonOperator wrote:
Numbers 2 and 3 were the worst. Its no fun running across the park for the queue to be 5 times what it said. Its also ridiculous to still be testing Oblivion, Smiler and Spinball at 10:20 and to be told to try something else when only Wickerman is actually available and has a THREE HOUR QUEUE.
Rita was ridiculous. We got in a 50 minute queue and waited 2 hours only to be told that it was busted and we'd have to leave. A priority pass was given but because there were so many people in that Rita queue getting them, we still had to wait a good half hour for oblivion. It was not enough compensation.

Amen to that. Rita said 0 minutes today, queue was out the door!

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Ok so just putting this out there (don't bite my head off)
Would anyone actually have any serious objections to some sponsorship in the park? I'm not talking Oblivion and Fanta level but just some small bits of advertising or sponsorship so they can stop the staggered openings and SBNO rides. As long as it didn't dramatically affect the ride experience I think it'd be ok. Just wanted to see your opinions 

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:14 pm

I wouldn't object. If it makes guest experience better overall by meaning they will actually open their rides on time, and then have them open all day rather than continuously breaking down, then I don't think people will really mind with a few logos and bits and pieces around some of the rides. They just have to find relevant brands to sponsor things with. 

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Disneyland Paris have done it with 'Disney Illuminations: Presented by Pandora'. Which I think is a good example about what you said about finding relevant brands to sponsor things with. 
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:28 pm

I never had any problems with Sponsorship, when I first visited Alton back in 1987, they relied on sponsorship as so did many other parks and pleasure beach's

Mikw
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Would the sponsorship actually go towards operations though and not just profits?

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 pm

I did think about that as it is Merlin we're talking about.

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:58 pm

AltonOperator wrote:
I was there Thursday and Friday and yes, it’s been ridiculous. My Instagram post (https://instagram.com/p/BhRs7cGnhBw/) lists my many complaints

Wickerman was exceptional. The preshow is dramatic and uses technology well. The coaster itself has good forces and the theming throughout is brilliant. I enjoyed the real fire and mist effects. The ending was very confusing though as everyone expected something to actually happen.

But there were issues. I have a few notes.

1. In the morning, more signage and barriers are needed to inform people which queues are for ERT and which are not.
2. When you open so little at 10am you need to actually open them. You cannot still be testing rides at 10:20. It’s unacceptable to tell people to try another ride when you have only 2 things open.
3. Your queue times need to be accurate. We walked all the way from forbidden valley to dark forest, a 20 minute walk at best, in order to get to Rita which was advertised as a 15 minute queue, only to wait 75 minutes to get in the ride. This happened with Th13teen and Galactica too. The only queuetime that was accurate was Wickerman
4. Rita needs sorting. Over the 2 days we were there, we experienced 4 breakdowns on Rita. Ridiculous.
5. The Galactica VR is ok but slows down the trains for everyone. I think one station should be VR and have one train and the other should be without, and have two trains.
6. Please try and get Nemesis’ second train back!
7. The amount of fasttrack tickets that are being sold means the regular queue suffers and the fasttrack queue is so long they feel ripped off
8. Bring back single rider lines. With the amount you’re making on parking alone, you can afford the staff to man a single rider line.
9. The TLC work so far has been brilliant but next I think a Galactica track repaint and a smiler queue refurbishment are in order.
10. A virtual ride reservation system would be nice to avoid 3 hour queues on Wickerman but i know you’d never even consider it because it would stop you selling the highest tier of Fasttracks

Just some suggestions.

2. Rides are tested before there advertised opening time, however like when rides are in operation, complications occur, specifically Wicker Man as it’s a new ride. I’m sure you’d rather Towers take the time to open the ride making sure it is fault free when it does open than opening it and it have shut again after 2 or 3 trains. 
3. At the time registered on the app or ridetimes.co.uk the time will be correct however if like you, everyone see’s 15 mins or is in the area and see’s a short queue people will join it. Towers cannot predict a vast amount of people joining a queue. Also no matter which way you go FV to DF is at least a 10 min journey do a lot can change in that time. 
6. Nemesis train is under going extensive maintenance and will only be ready once it is complete and thoroughly tested, time scale is unknown. I do feel the team on Nemesis are doing exceptional to have it running as smoothly as possible. 
Fair few of your other points I do agree with specifically morning signage, I’d also add that Towers could police only the appropriate guests having access to park or rides during ERT. 

Jcoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:34 pm

What is it with people and smoking in the queue lines? Everyone seems to be doing it there’s plenty of signs around the queue but it seems people can’t read these days. I know this may seem like a minor complaint but I’m asthmatic and it causes me so many issues, then when you tell them to stop they get all threatening.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Jcoaster wrote:
What is it with people and smoking in the queue lines? Everyone seems to be doing it there’s plenty of signs around the queue but it seems people can’t read these days. I know this may seem like a minor complaint but I’m asthmatic and it causes me so many issues, then when you tell them to stop they get all threatening.

Yes I noticed this a lot last week. The smoking areas are empty and they're just smoking wherever they like. I think one of the problems is these vape things. They think its fine because its not real smoking. Its still just as vile and affects people who have asthma just as much. It needs to be enforced more. If you are caught smoking in an undesignated area you should be removed from the park.

Zach wrote:
2. Rides are tested before there advertised opening time, however like when rides are in operation, complications occur, specifically Wicker Man as it’s a new ride. I’m sure you’d rather Towers take the time to open the ride making sure it is fault free when it does open than opening it and it have shut again after 2 or 3 trains. 
3. At the time registered on the app or ridetimes.co.uk the time will be correct however if like you, everyone see’s 15 mins or is in the area and see’s a short queue people will join it. Towers cannot predict a vast amount of people joining a queue. Also no matter which way you go FV to DF is at least a 10 min journey do a lot can change in that time. 

2. There is absolutely no way I believe that they are having this many complications, every single day. On both mornings they were still testing rides well past 10 o'clock. If its happening every morning they know full well that it takes this long and need to start earlier. Wicker Man was actually the only ride which was open at the correct time both days.
3. Then answer me this, why did the queue time still say 15 minutes after a whole hour had passed and the queue was out of the entrance? Because they're not updating it properly.

vikkimoo
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 am

Jcoaster wrote:

Fellow asthmatic and totally agree. Especially the bloody vape things - they smell even worse than proper fags!

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:20 pm

As I used to be a smoker, I can safely say I actually had the decency to smoke in the designated areas.
You do have to also remember, the “threatening” bodies of people who do this, usually ends up being teenagers/young adults, most commonly seen as a ‘chav’ or ‘scruff’. You know... the ones who graffiti!

I do think that being kicked out the park for smoking in the queue is a bit extreme. I would agree with a removal from the queue, however in some circumstances, take being stuck in a queue for a ride that’s broken down and you’ve queued 2 hours for, that’s 2 hours without a cigarette which for people who smoke is quite hard to do, so unfortunately I can see why people do it in a break down... not in a 10 minute breakdown and they’ve been in the queue for 5 though; that’s just ridiculous.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:32 pm

If you smoke/vape outside designated smoking areas then you should be kicked out of Towers without a refund, in my opinion. Same goes for graffiti. 

[Insert Signature Here]

Jcoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:42 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this, it just makes me angry that's all, and it seems to be on the rise unfortuneatly

Jcoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:43 pm

vikkimoo wrote:
Jcoaster wrote:

Fellow asthmatic and totally agree. Especially the bloody vape things - they smell even worse than proper fags!

yeah, some woman was smoking a vape behind me in wickerman and it smelt awful

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:56 pm

I remember back in 2016, some woman found it perfectly acceptable to smoke right outside the door of the Galactica Shop, so anyone exiting would have to walk through all the smoke. That behaviour really isn't acceptable.

So smokers, by all means smoke in the designated areas. At least that has minimal impact on regular guests. But don't you dare think it is acceptable to smoke anywhere outside of these areas, or especially right in the doorways of shops, cafes or in queues etc. because that is just even more inconsiderate. If you are caught smoking outside the designated areas, I genuinely hope Towers do throw you out without refund. Because that's just what you deserve.