UK theme parks from another point of view!

TTSP Community Awards 2017
Results have now been announced. Click here!

Colinweir
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Justin wrote:
When I saw them on FB, I instantly thought Thorpe but good spot with sticker mark. I wonder why it is up at Alton, unless this is an old boat used to practice making adjustments on?

Late to the party on this one but was thinking about it this morning. Was it not at Thorpe Park that an accident happened on their river rapids earlier this year?  They might be looking to amend/adjust the Alton boats as a response.  There was also another fatal accident in Australia earlier this year too on a similar ride.  

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 pm

I believe the one that occurred in the United Kingdom was Splash Canyon at Drayton Manor. :)
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:04 am

According to the Alton Towers website, Extraordinary Golf is now included with Short Break bookings.

Under the heading of “Six Fabulous Reasons to Book a Short Break” the following is stated:

A round of Extraordinary Golf is included

Having looked at the T&C’s, it is not clear whether it is 9 or 18 hole round that is included.

In my opinion, this is a welcome move. I’ve always thought that more of the resort-side attractions should be included with hotel stays as standard so maybe this is the start of things to come. I am curious though as to how they will manage it as if the tickets aren’t timebound it may cause massive congestion due to a high amount of guests wanting to play at the same time.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:53 pm

Noticed that this morning, didn't realise that the offering was new though! Definitely a welcome addition, although, I probably won't take advantage of this may self, I hope other do!  

#goodbyedragonbar

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:43 pm

It's a good idea to include it in the hotel fee as to be perfectly honest I hardly ever see anyone there. Still waiting on the free tree tops though :P

Nutty Man
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Does anyone know when AT will release this seasons lineup?
The nemesis creature, lord of darkness, guy off the promo for galactica, th13teen woman Dr. Kelman and the wickerman have joined to take over the world.

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:59 pm

In previous years it's usually been announced after the MAP sale has ended, so I'd imagine it'd be soon after that :)

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:59 pm

As reported on TowersTimes Facebook page; Alton Towers have added details of their new 2018 Season Pass to their website.

Costing £55 for guests of all ages, the pass grants access to the theme park throughout the season, excluding Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in August and the first weekend of September, as well as Scarefest and Fireworks dates, although entry on these dates can be purchased for £10. However, unlike the former Alton Towers Annual Pass, car parking is not included.

What are you thoughts on the Resort’s new pass?

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:32 pm

I've had it with Merlin now. Glad I got a 2018 BPB pass when they were cheap, this is awful!

The contempt they show for their passholders is unreal, most parks wouldn't dream of doing anything like this.

This is a product that should be available as a cheaper alternative to the AT annual pass, not as a replacement!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld: From Park to Planet. Experience worlds of wonder, thrills and discovery.

SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:57 pm

On the face of it, £55 for a whole season’s entry is exceptional value, however I’m not sure how I feel about the high number of exclusion dates.

I have a feeling that this pass is being aimed at people who live fairly local to the park and would probably visit once or twice a year. The fact that the pass is priced at exactly the same price as on-the-day entry may encourage more people to buy it instead of buying a BounceBack ticket. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the price of the BounceBack ticket increased in order to encourage more people to go for the Season Pass.

With regards to the exclusion dates, even if someone visits regularly between March & October, then does a day each at Scarefest & Fireworks, they’ve had a whole seasons entry for £75 which I still consider to be good value. Ideally though, I do think that the pass should have been sold at a higher price (somewhere between £80-90) but with no exclusion dates.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Dan wrote:
Ideally though, I do think that the pass should have been sold at a higher price (somewhere between £80-90) but with no exclusion dates.

You are spot on, I don't think anyone would have a problem with this pass if they were also offering the normal pass with no exclusion dates and the regular benefits (car parking etc).
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld: From Park to Planet. Experience worlds of wonder, thrills and discovery.

SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:08 pm

To be honest, I'm pretty sure this is Merlin trying too make current holders of the Alton Towers Annual Pass upgrade to a Merlin Annual Pass which would give them a better profit margin. It's irritating but they are, in the end, a business and they want to make as much money as they can with the smallest expenses. This said, I may be purchasing one of these as I believe it offers rather good value for money.

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:05 pm

I think it's good value if you only want to go to AT as has been mentioned as you could certainly get your money's worth but a shame that it has restrictions as that might lead people more towards a Merlin pass instead.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:49 pm

The idea of pay full price and enter throughout the season has been tried by Thorpe Park before, however, they were offering Annual Passes to guests, with full perks for the park. Alton's offering is limited but still offers excellent value for those who may want to visit more than once, even if discounts have been removed and parking is not included.

Personally, I can see Bounce Back being removed as Alton will want to encourage as many upgrades to season passes as possible. I just can't see them offering this ('Return anytime' at least) alongside the new pass.

It will be interesting to see if other parks follow.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:58 pm

I'm not quite sure what to make of this new pass as I can see both the positives and the negatives of it. It's almost using the same idea as some of the American parks who offer season passes as opposed to Annual Passes, however Towers' one has a lot more exclusions.

Positives
  • The pass costs the same as a day ticket making it relatively affordable.
  • Ideal if you plan to mainly visit on off peak days with perhaps one day at Scarefest and one day at Fireworks with the special rate of £10
  • Would be an affordable alternative for families who are able to visit on Monday-Thursdays during August who perhaps can't afford the Merlin Annual Pass, but live close to Towers so can take advantage of regular visits.
Negatives
  • High number of exclusion dates which may mean those who previously had an Alton Towers Annual Pass wil feel forced to upgrade to a Premium Merlin Annual Pass in order to be able to visit without restrictions.
  • Parking no longer included - adds additional cost to each visit.
  • Standard rate for all means no reduction for child passes, even though they may not be able to experience some of the attractions due to height/age restrictions.
It will be interesting to see the uptake on this new pass, and if the pass is reviewed again at the end of the year based on how it is received this year.

Colinweir
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:00 pm

Obviously most of our attention has been focussed on SW8 but wondering if anyone is aware of any developments to the old Willie Wonka ride? Bit of a waste of a building to be laying idle!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Nothing that I'm aware of, unless anyone knows an different? It needs work for sure. Let's hope TLC gives us an update!

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm half expecting some TLC updates on Monday. They're first update of 2017 came on the 8th, and with the SW8 announcement it will certainly give us plenty to talk about!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:28 pm

I think their main priority will SW8. If they release TLC updates, simultaneously, then they will get lost and forgotten about. If anything, I'd expect them to be released a week later when the initial excitement has died down slightly.

It will be interesting to see what they tackle, apart from Duel and Nemesis which we already know about. If you see an update, be sure to post it in the Towers Loving Care topic :)

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:36 pm

Last year the @AltonTLC Twitter account started tweeting updates on 8th January 2017. As Justin has said though, with the SW8 announcement due on that date this year, it is likely the Resort will wait at least a few days before starting this year's updates (if indeed they are intending to tweet updates this year).