UK theme parks from another point of view!

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:03 pm

I also gave this a go the other day, and as Justin has said it is very enjoyable. I gave it two goes and enjoyed it a lot more the second time as I took time to look around more. I asked the attendant when it was going to be here until and he said until the end of the 6 week holidays, but we both agreed it would be brilliant at Scarefest with a darker, scarier video!
Ride count 2017: 346!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 857!
Cred count: 65!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:43 pm

It would be an ideal attraction for HB to implement around the park! If they could tie it in with the resort itself then even better! I was very impressed and would welcome its return in some form!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:29 pm

The Alton Towers Holidays website has now been updated to state that Splash Landings Hotel will be open during the majority of Scarefest dates, as well during the Fireworks weekend. The following information is available if you scroll to the bottom of the linked pages (although obviously amended for Fireworks):

The Splash Landings Hotel will be open for guests only on the following dates; 6th, 7th, 13th, 14th and 20th - 29th October 2017. Breakfast for Splash Landings Hotel guests will be served in Flambos between 7.30am - 10.00am and includes a five hot item breakfast, plus toast and cereals, tea and coffee and juices. Dinner options at Flambos is an all you can eat pizza and pasta buffet including soft drinks and ice cream factory. Priced £15.95 for adults and £7.95 for children aged 12 and under, open from 12.30pm to 7.30pm. Ma Garita's bar is open from 10.00am to 2.00am, with a takeaway pizza menu available from 9.00pm. Hotel entertainment on the select dates at the Splash Landings Hotel consists of the following; 8.30pm: Magician, 9pm: Dia De Meurtos - Live Vocal Show, 9.30pm: Patch's Pumpkin Party, 10pm: Dia De Meurtos - Live Vocal Show and 10:45pm-11:15pm: Disco.

However, currently it is not possible to book into SLH on these dates via the Merlin Holiday Club - I did tweet Towers to ask why no MAP discount is available, but they predictably were unaware that the hotel would now be opening past September :P

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:36 am

I have a bit of a theory that they may have been waiting for the other hotels to hit capacity on some of the dates during Scarefest and Fireworks, in the hope of saving some money.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:16 pm

I don't think this really fits into anywhere but I would like to see a Coca-Cola Freestyle and Coca-Cola Super Freeze at Towers. I mean the Coca-Cola Freestyle at Thorpe Park looks successful, why not have one at Towers  :D 

Another small thing I would like Alton Towers to add is Coaster Climbs, I would be up to climbing Oblivion and The Smiler, Riding them not so much though...
[Insert Signature Here]

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:22 pm

They used to do Coaster Climbs for selected rides at Towers (including The Smiler), however it seemed after the incident they stopped this. I am not certain but that is how it appears to me. I haven't done one yet so I would love them to bring them back. This is probably for reasons that would benefit Alton at this moment in time with the continuing high levels of negative publicity they receive.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Speaking of Coca Cola, is the stall on Towers Street ever open?

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:13 am

The Quencher stall has been open, yes.
With regards to Super Freeze then I think it comes down to the aesthetics of Alton. A Super Freeze stand wouldn't fit in as easily at Alton. The only two possible locations that it might work is in X Sector or near Galactica. At Thorpe they appear to be a little more relaxed in terms of their theming and the beach area is ideal anyway!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:51 am

Thorpe's theming "relaxed"? Well that's one way to describe it!  :lol

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:12 am

It emerged at the end of last week that all housekeeping jobs at Towers (over 200) are being outsourced by Merlin to WGC Limited, as is already the case at their other UK theme park resorts.

Here's The Sentinel's article.

Alton Towers to outsource more than 200 housekeeping jobs
Staff and councillors have raised concerns over the transfer

More than 200 jobs at Alton Towers are being outsourced by the resort's owner Merlin.

The company is transferring the housekeeping teams at Alton Towers' four hotels to outsourcing giant WGC.

It is believed around 219 workers will be affected by the change. They have been told if they transfer they will receive a £100 bonus, but claim if they refuse their employment could be terminated and they will not be entitled to redundancy pay.

Staff members are demanding answers from Merlin, as they fear that once their jobs are outsourced they could be forced to work at other sites.

One worker, who wanted to remain anonymous, said morale was low among staff.

She said: “We have been told we need to transfer by September 11. When we joined we were told that we could advance with Merlin and now we just feel we are being dropped.
“There are staff who have been here for 20 years. With the new company it could mean we are sent to work at other places which we don’t want to do.

“We take pride in our work here and we want answers.”

Labour councillor Chris Wood, chairman of the service delivery overview & scrutiny panel at Staffordshire Moorlands District Council, said: “I am disappointed to be honest. I can only assume that this is a cost saving measure.

“I would urge the nearly 220 employees to look at their new contracts and the terms and conditions in these contracts.

“I go to Alton Towers with family and all of the workers do a fantastic job but there is no loyalty to staff anymore. If you do a good job you can still be replaced with someone to save a few quid.

"The council will be looking into this.”

The change will bring Alton Towers in line with Merlin's other UK hotels, such as those at Chessington World of Adventures and Thorpe Park, where WGC is already providing the housekeeping services.

London-based WGC describes itself as 'the UK's leading outsourced hotel cleaning services provider'.

A spokesman for Alton Towers said: “Over the past two years, Alton Towers Resort has undertaken a detailed review of its workforce productivity. In order to maximise efficiencies, we do propose to outsource our housekeeping services to an external company, transferring the employment of staff within this department to the new organisation under the TUPE legislation. With four on-site hotels, we do believe this will help us operate a more efficient business and protect jobs for our current employees.”

WGC has yet to comment on the contracts being offered to the existing members of staff.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:29 pm

lewis97 wrote:
You should be fine as what it says is:

Please be aware, those who have purchased an Alton Towers Annual Pass after 24/07/17 will not be permitted to use their pass during our Fireworks event in November.

In other words, those who purchase an annual pass in the current sale won't be able to attend Fireworks.

Hi Lewis! I know that this is a blast from the past but would you be able to point me in the direction of where this is stated on the website as the park are currently telling me that I will be unable to use my pass? Many thanks :)
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:31 pm

MakoMania wrote:
lewis97 wrote:

Please be aware, those who have purchased an Alton Towers Annual Pass after 24/07/17 will not be permitted to use their pass during our Fireworks event in November.

In other words, those who purchase an annual pass in the current sale won't be able to attend Fireworks.

Hi Lewis! I know that this is a blast from the past but would you be able to point me in the direction of where this is stated on the website as the park are currently telling me that I will be unable to use my pass? Many thanks :)

It's the small print on this page, under the table of prices.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:42 pm

lewis97 wrote:
MakoMania wrote:
lewis97 wrote:

It's the small print on this page, under the table of prices.

Thank you!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

SmileAlways
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Anyone got any ideas what's going on with the Mine Train? It seems to have been closed for over a week now with no sign of it reopening and no explanation.
If you hear people singing random songs on a rollercoaster, it's probably me and my best friend #SmileAlways

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:51 pm

SmileAlways wrote:
Anyone got any ideas what's going on with the Mine Train? It seems to have been closed for over a week now with no sign of it reopening and no explanation.

This iz beein discussed in da ride downtime topic innit fam.
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort, and enjoyment.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Jack... standard English please :) but yes, all discussions can be found here... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40974

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Justin wrote:
standard English

That takes me back to English GCSE lessons  :lol

SmileAlways
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:58 pm

I did notice the other topic earlier, after I posted in here.
If you hear people singing random songs on a rollercoaster, it's probably me and my best friend #SmileAlways

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:56 pm

From 9am on Monday 4th September, Alton Towers will be holding an eBay auction of 30 boats from The Flume, along with ride signage and its height board, in order to raise money for Merlin's Magic Wand.

More details are available on the Resort's website where there is also a catalogue of items.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:11 pm

lewis97 wrote:
From 9am on Monday 4th September, Alton Towers will be holding an eBay auction of 30 boats from The Flume, along with ride signage and its height board, in order to raise money for Merlin's Magic Wand.

More details are available on the Resort's website where there is also a catalogue of items.

Hmm, 4 boats are missing. But wasn't their an auction which has already sold some of the boats? I noticed last time I was at Towers a few boats has dissapeared. 

Anyway I want boat 18, it'll bring back memories!
[Insert Signature Here]