UK theme parks from another point of view!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:13 pm

This is all really good to hear! Alton Towers, please this keep up! 

TPC
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:56 pm

They did a pretty good job today.

Wickerman had it's somewhat normal early morning disagreement with tech services.

Nemesis opened late, then stopped again within the first hour of operations. They have now blocked row three on both trains, which I don't remember being the case yesterday.

Galactica seems to be finding an irony of: all seats VR and no one wants VR; only 3 rows VR and suddenly a lot more people want VR.

Staff were awesome across the park. Felt that management are being a little unfair on some of the ride operators, as people appear to have several jobs on some rides, where previously you might have had another member doing that part.

Also found one operating difference that's strange between Thorpe and Alton. At Thorpe every unoccupied seat with a seatbelt has that belt done up and checked. At Alton, the seatbelts are just left dangling. Did the one up next to me on Nemesis as didn't particularly want it waving around during the ride.

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:05 pm

TPC wrote:
Also found one operating difference that's strange between Thorpe and Alton. At Thorpe every unoccupied seat with a seatbelt has that belt done up and checked. At Alton, the seatbelts are just left dangling. Did the one up next to me on Nemesis as didn't particularly want it waving around during the ride.

Not one unoccupied seatbelt was fastened when I was at Thorpe on Thursday/Friday. I would have thought that it would have been the other way round, especially with Alton being so safety conscious. 

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:07 pm

I have to say, Nemesis is worrying me a little. It's usually super reliable, with very few issues and downtime, ever. Interesting issue with one of the rows blocked off.. that can't be to do with the trains then, especially as one of them was given a full refurbishment. Something wrong with another part of the ride? 

I can only laugh at the Galactica situation though... :lol

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:21 pm

When I was there a few weeks ago the train without wheel covers (I'm assuming the refurbished one) had Row 5 or 6 blocked off. The one with wheel covers had all rows available. The staff were frantically rearranging people for alternate trains. They were also batching which is the first time I've seen them doing it, normally it's a free for all.

Hope it's just a blip, maybe there were other things that needed doing to Nemesis apart from the train rebuild which we don't know about.

TPC
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Tom170499 wrote:
Not one unoccupied seatbelt was fastened when I was at Thorpe on Thursday/Friday. I would have thought that it would have been the other way round, especially with Alton being so safety conscious. 

Crazy! Have been there maybe a few too many times this year already and every seat of every ride had them buckled up. Even when they sent out empty trains, they went through the whole process of unbuckling, raising, lowering, and rebuckling.

Wonder if the weekend crews are significantly different, or whether there's been an across the board operations change recently.

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 pm

With Galactica the reason I found for the slow moving queue was indeed the demand for it. The queue was going up past the VR no VR merge (which was very close to the station) so once we got to the merge point and noticed that non VR was walk on we were left a little disappointed due to this.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:09 pm

They need to find some TENSA barriers and extend the VR/ no VR queue as far back as they can. One of my pet peeves is seeing trains going out with empty seats or even rows when there are still people in the queue.

glittabones
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:39 pm

The Galactica queue was a bit silly this week - I agree that something needs to be done. The non-VR side was walk-on but you couldn't get to it because people didn't know to queue to the left or right and it was impossible to get down the steps! I did get a ride op to shout down the queue to get people moving but they need to have some signage and split the queue earlier.

Funny thing whilst waiting in the unnecessary queue, though - there was a kid in front of me who thought the VR part of the ride was a video of the ride itself, and he didn't see the point. :lol
Last edited by glittabones on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TPC
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:54 pm

glittabones wrote:
Funny thing whilst waiting in the unneccessary queue, though - there was a kid in front of me who thought the VR part of the ride was a video of the ride itself, and he didn't see the point. :lol

Brilliant! And such a missed opportunity by Alton for an April fools day prank. One day a year replace the regular VR with a 360 degree video of the same ride.

Had a good experience with the VR today, not because the VR worked, it didn't as off centre by 10 degrees, but because it was so cold. Felt like flying through space a little more.

glittabones
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:56 pm

TPC wrote:
glittabones wrote:
Funny thing whilst waiting in the unneccessary queue, though - there was a kid in front of me who thought the VR part of the ride was a video of the ride itself, and he didn't see the point. :lol

Brilliant! And such a missed opportunity by Alton for an April fools day prank. One day a year replace the regular VR with a 360 degree video of the same ride.

Oh my goodness, that would be amazing! :lol I hope the powers that be are reading this!

TPC
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Operations really good today. Was surprised to see pretty much the same staffing levels today as at the weekend. Only major difference I saw was Galactica unsurprisingly on one station, or maybe the guests were all just following each other into the same station, either way this caused it to have the longest queue of about 30-40 minutes on average throughout the day.

I believe both ERT rides didn't operate initially, with tech services walking the track on Wicker Man. But they opened X-Sector early to compensate, just without telling anyone other than the queue staff. All the boards and ride entrances said closed, the greeter on smiler was telling people, but I was one of the first to venture up to Oblivion at 9:50 ignoring the closed sign. Staff were there just waiting.

Wicker Man then ran until it took a break at lunchtime, which was good timing. It powered on through the rest of the day. Saw one pre-show batching issue where they just fed people into pre-show before the last group had left, causing groups to just walk through and the station being a little overwhelmed. The second automatic door also tried to eat me, by closing when I was stood in the doorway with nowhere to go. Still had restraint re-checks going on, but it seemed a lot less than yesterday.

Everything else ran multiple trains, which coming from Thorpe Park, I'm insanely jealous of!

Edit: Oh and picked up some Wicker Man coasters, which actually have the logo on. And one of the wooden photo prints.

Edit 2: Should immortalise the valleying of someone's dinner in one of the rollercoaster restaurant loops too! Stepladders and tools were brought out, but alas the route to the Wicker Man table was decommissioned due to a broken clip preventing the casing from being removed, all accompanied to Never Gonna Give You Up being broadcast on the speakers. Brilliant end to the trip!  :)

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:42 pm

The wooden coasters and photo frames are really nice. Good choice! I'm so glad I picked them up!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:48 pm

Ah, I got a coat with the Wicker Man logo on it, as I was stupid enough to leave mine in the car, and it was absolutely FREEZING!! :lol To be honest though, there was loads of stuff I'd have liked to have got from the Wicker Man Shop, its some of the nicest merchandise I've seen at the park in my opinion! :)

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:54 pm

The coat is very nice and surprisingly warm! I must agree though Robert, some of the best merchandise in any Merlin park!

TPC
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Yep their merchandise is great. That entire store is amazing, especially it's own Wicker Man scenery piece that I overlooked so many times at the end of the aisle.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:07 pm

One of the things I do love about the Wicker Man Shop is that it doesn't feel like it's simply there to try and make money out of you. Obviously, that is its purpose, but I feel they way it has been themed, and the attention to detail that's gone into it, it becomes more of an extension of the whole experience, as an opportunity to get a souvenir from your ride, unlike some of the other shops in the park, which are not as well themed and are clearly there only for the purpose of making money. 

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:16 pm

I do agree with you there, Robert. It does feel like an extension of the ride and not a shop! As TPC points out, the focal point of the Wicker Man statue and the £3000 wire sculpture add to the quality and rustic feel of the shop. I also feel that plastic goods are kept to a minimum, therefore the merchandise feels more premium!

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 8:22 am

Well, the wicker man doesn't like your modern food, maybe he doesn't like your modern merchandise! ;-)

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 8:32 pm

This was posted by TowersStreet Twitter. 

A new stand in Towers Trading to get people to buy bricks. Be nice if Alton Towers knew how to write properly though.