UK theme parks from another point of view!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Tue May 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Yes. They need to revise homophones and contractions!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2018 8:46 pm

£50 to have a brick with "It's your, not you're".

Hmm...

Milgod
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2018 5:31 pm

Right. We had a disastrous visit to AT about 3 weeks ago, but I have loved it for so many years I'm willing to go back again on Sunday.

Will they still be doing the absurd 11am opening thing for most rides? Just trying to plan how to get on everything with the shortest queuing times.

If they are, can you even queue for Wickerman at 10am or do you need to wait til 11 to enter the queue?

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed May 02, 2018 5:38 pm

Milgod wrote:
Right. We had a disastrous visit to AT about 3 weeks ago, but I have loved it for so many years I'm willing to go back again on Sunday.

Will they still be doing the absurd 11am opening thing for most rides? Just trying to plan how to get on everything with the shortest queuing times.

If they are, can you even queue for Wickerman at 10am or do you need to wait til 11 to enter the queue?

Wicker Man is scheduled to open at 9:30 for ERT, so you will be able to queue for it as soon as you enter the park.

The staggered ride openings are still in operation, but with a bit of planning you should be able to do a healthy amount of rides.

The Smiler and Oblivion open at 10am and will have shorter queues than Wicker Man does. Once they’re done, it’ll be nearing 11am so head over to Dark Forest and do the coasters there. Then, get the Skyride to FV and do that area. After that, head to Wicker Man. I think that is the most sensible route to take around the park to make the most of your day, but it does depend on queue times and ride availability.
Credit to the BubbleBoi

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2018 5:57 pm

Dan wrote:
Milgod wrote:

Wicker Man is scheduled to open at 9:30 for ERT, so you will be able to queue for it as soon as you enter the park.

The staggered ride openings are still in operation, but with a bit of planning you should be able to do a healthy amount of rides.

The Smiler and Oblivion open at 10am and will have shorter queues than Wicker Man does. Once they’re done, it’ll be nearing 11am so head over to Dark Forest and do the coasters there. Then, get the Skyride to FV and do that area. After that, head to Wicker Man. I think that is the most sensible route to take around the park to make the most of your day, but it does depend on queue times and ride availability.

This is really good advice provided the rides do actually open on time. both days I went this year oblivion and smiler did not open at 10 as they were supposed to. Just be wary of that and have a plan for if this happens
Thanks bubbles What a lad

DSG
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2018 6:07 pm

We're staying in the Enchanted Village on Saturday night with 2 days in the park - can we do ERT on both Sat and Sun? Do I just print off and show the "Hotel + 2 day Theme Park" tickets at the entrance turnstyles when we get there? On previous stays at splash landings they've given us the park tickets when we checked in to the hotel but I'm assuming its all electronic now since they emailed me the tickets as a PDF and we can just go straight to the park as soon as we get there?

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2018 6:10 pm

Yes I believe a print out of these tickets works perfectly for both days. Head to the right hand side of the turnstiles for ERT access :)

DSG
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the advice on where to go for ERT access too :)

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2018 6:22 pm

DSG wrote:
Thanks for the advice on where to go for ERT access too :)

It's not very well marked so I didn't want you to miss out!

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu May 03, 2018 2:27 pm

Tom came across this link  which is pretty interesting , an article in the Stoke Sentinal about the potential uses for the conservatory now it has been restored, I'd love to have afternoon tea here on a sunny day!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2018 3:42 pm

That is interesting! Now that it is restored, it certainly does have quite a lot of potential for different uses. I too would love to see it get used for special events like afternoon tea, weddings, heritage talks etc.. 

Milgod
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Dan wrote:
Milgod wrote:

Is it definite that rides open at 11? The website says all other rides besides ERT open at 10.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2018 4:53 pm

The wording on https://www.altontowers.com/useful-info/opening-times/ seems a bit naughty, as they've used all attractions will open from 10am, rather than at 10am.

Unless there's been a sudden unannounced change in heart by Alton, then the opening times will still be 9:30 ERT, 10am X-Sector, 11am rest of the park.

Keep an eye on http://ridetimes.co.uk for any on the day changes.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu May 03, 2018 4:54 pm

Milgod wrote:
Is it definite that rides open at 11? The website says all other rides besides ERT open at 10.

It is.

Dark Forest, Cloud Cuckoo Land, Forbidden Valley, Gloomy Wood and Katanga Canyon (I think) all open at 11am.

The website says all attractions not on ERT open from 10am, not at 10am.

EDIT: ninja’d by TPC :P
Credit to the BubbleBoi

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2018 4:56 pm

But then there is always the likely possibility that rides will open even later than their advertised opening times....

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Robert.W wrote:
But then there is always the likely possibility that rides will open even later than their advertised opening times....

They did open X-Sector earlier on Monday, due to Spinball and Wicker Man not being ready for ERT. But they didn't update the timing screens - Wickerman staff just mentioned it to me as I left the queue. Oblivion staff were stood around waiting for guests, but their sign said closed so no one (other than me :)) was going up there.
Dan wrote:
EDIT: ninja’d by TPC :P

Ironically you ninja'd me on the original reply to this question, so I just discarded it!  :lol

mark156
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Been to the park today and it’s fair to say I was pretty impressed, despite the negative comments I’ve seen in particular on Trip Advisor.

Due to traffic and queues for both the monorail and tickets (park seemed busy for an off peak Thursday) we didn’t actually get in until nearly 12pm. Wicker Man was closed when we arrived so we went straight on Duel and then onto the Runaway Mine Train (both had zero wait times). After that we ventured round to Nemesis which had approx. 15/20 minute queue - worth every second of the wait as per normal. If anything, the ride is over just that bit too quickly.

By this time Wicker Man had opened but literally everybody in the park headed there which created an instant wait time of 45 minutes. As a consequence both Oblivion and The Smiler had 5 minute waits so we went on both of those. Having travelled with my young son we went to CBeebies for the Postman Pat and In The Night Garden rides. By this time it was about 3:30pm so we queued for Wicker Man (still 50 minute wait time). The whole experience with this coaster is very good, even from the music being played in the queue line, the pre-ride show and the ride itself. It actually doesn’t look all that fast when you watch from the side but it doesn’t disappoint. I’d probably give it 8/10 for the full ride experience.

All in all, despite a 3 hour journey home, we had a good day. Managed to get on 8/9 rides in less than 4 hours. I’ll probably return in late season (September time) and hopefully ride all the big 7.

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 04, 2018 4:36 pm

mark156 wrote:
Been to the park today and it’s fair to say I was pretty impressed, despite the negative comments I’ve seen in particular on Trip Advisor.

Due to traffic and queues for both the monorail and tickets (park seemed busy for an off peak Thursday) we didn’t actually get in until nearly 12pm. Wicker Man was closed when we arrived so we went straight on Duel and then onto the Runaway Mine Train (both had zero wait times). After that we ventured round to Nemesis which had approx. 15/20 minute queue - worth every second of the wait as per normal. If anything, the ride is over just that bit too quickly.

By this time Wicker Man had opened but literally everybody in the park headed there which created an instant wait time of 45 minutes. As a consequence both Oblivion and The Smiler had 5 minute waits so we went on both of those. Having travelled with my young son we went to CBeebies for the Postman Pat and In The Night Garden rides. By this time it was about 3:30pm so we queued for Wicker Man (still 50 minute wait time). The whole experience with this coaster is very good, even from the music being played in the queue line, the pre-ride show and the ride itself. It actually doesn’t look all that fast when you watch from the side but it doesn’t disappoint. I’d probably give it 8/10 for the full ride experience.

All in all, despite a 3 hour journey home, we had a good day. Managed to get on 8/9 rides in less than 4 hours. I’ll probably return in late season (September time) and hopefully ride all the big 7.

The cuts at Alton this season is OK if you are visiting on a quiet day or have fast track passes.  I dread to think what the park will be like to visit during busy days and special events.

As you arrived after 12, you wouldn't be affected with the lack of offerings in the morning.  Not everyone visiting the park is healthy enough to get around the whole park in a couple of hours.  I've have a disabled wife who is wheelchair bound and she can't go on the rides due to her medical condition, I still have to stop every so often to accommodate her care needs. I presume those with small kids in toe will also find it difficult to get a full day in a struggle this season.
8/9 rides in 4 hours is not great.  I usually do that amount of rides within my first hour in the mornings, but because of the staggered opening times it now it takes me the whole day to do 8/9 rides at a rush. 

It's not great for a day trip having to spend a 9 hour round trip to get their and home again.

mark156
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 05, 2018 11:34 pm

I suppose it depends what your expectations are. I got on every ride I wanted to, I wasn’t bothered about Rita, Thirteen or Galactica. CBeebies Land was actually the busiest place meaning we waited 30 minutes for both Postman Pat and In The Night Garden.

If I hadn’t travelled with my son then I would have comfortably ridden another 6/7 rides as the other queues were shorter. The one thing I do agree with (and as you say it didn’t affect me as I arrived later) is the staggered opening times of rides.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Alton Towers have SOLD OUT of Fastracks today... how many did they actually sell?!?! 

Either they've realised that they can't just sell as many as they want, or they actually have just run out of physical Fastrack tickets...