UK theme parks from another point of view!

TPC
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sun May 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Crazy! Or did the printer just run out of paper... :)

Definitely looks like they're bouncing back on visitor numbers this year and then some. Hopefully the extra income will let them hire a few more people for this season.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun May 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Limiting Fastrack tickets I can understand, but I can’t get my head round the, once again, shoddy signage that Towers have produced :lol

Image credit to TowersStreet

TPC
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 06, 2018 4:45 pm

All the theming improvements this year ad we end up with poorly spelt office printer notices. Unless it's a clue to SW9 :lol.

That's also a nice newly painted wall they stuck that on. Hope that the tape doesn't pull it off!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Oh my god.. and I didn't even notice the spelling error! :lol

Speaking of errors, this one has been fixed:

Image from TowersStreet.
Last edited by Dan on Sun May 06, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 06, 2018 9:12 pm

TPC wrote:
All the theming improvements this year ad we end up with poorly spelt office printer notices. Unless it's a clue to SW9 :lol.

SW9: World's first ride dedicated to no theming  :lol 

Does anyone know what that stage is in the mutiny bay/welcominn courtyard is? I saw it again today and I’m really interested in finding out what it is. Looks incredible!
Last edited by Justin on Mon May 07, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon May 07, 2018 9:33 pm

saw-x-smile wrote:
Does anyone know what that stage is in the mutiny bay/welcominn courtyard is? I saw it again today and I’m really interested in finding out what it is. Looks incredible!

That stage used to host the shows for The Pirates of Mutiny Bay. Sadly there hasn't been a pirates show for a few years now which is a shame as it was consistenly popular and a very good show. Most recently the stage formed part of The Welcoming scare maze last Scarefest.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue May 08, 2018 7:50 pm

A cool little video from British Superbikes!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Oh cool, there's some nice aerial footage in there! Pretty sure some of it was already used in Francis Jackson's videos though. 

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 09, 2018 12:55 pm

Why did they use such old footage for Nemesis on-ride? Bit weird :lol
Don't take me serious..
But come, sit, have a drink.. don't mind me..
Hush little baby, don't say a word..
It'll only hurt forever.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed May 09, 2018 10:17 pm

It won't make much difference if the footage has been used before or is old, to be honest. The target audience will be different to that of enthusiasts, therefore it works and advertises the park and British Superbikes :)

wamdue
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Remind me to always go at this time of year, Thursday and Friday, the park was quiet, I got alot done, and on Friday got to take it slowly, go on smaller rides like Blade, go the Sea Life Centre (that poor shark, swims in the same loops so much, I think it might be a robot),and still hit all the big rides multiple times on both days.

The fast track would have been an utter waste of £60.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Looks like TPW and others have opened a can of worms over on twitter.

https://twitter.com/ThemeParkWW/status/ ... 5404559360

Alton have stated that filming is banned on all rides including the rapids. Nowhere on the signs for the rapids does it say filming is prohibited and I know from personal experience that as of the end of last year filming was fine. 

What are peoples views on this topic? Should we expect some new signage first thing tomorrow morning with a blanket 'no filming' signs?

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2018 7:07 pm

The official T&Cs says no filming on any attractions, but the sign at the rides entrance isn't clear enough in my opinion. It kinda implies that filming could be allowed, and then when the staff go as far as encouraging it, why would people even think twice about doing it?

Alton have made things way more complicated than they need to be, and now they are blaming their guests for accidentally breaking the rules after being given incorrect information by the signs in the park, and the very people who work at the park... not impressed. 

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun May 13, 2018 7:32 pm

I’m with the park on this.

They have always officially had a ban on filming on rides & attractions, but obviously people have done it on the rides where it’s easier to get away with, like the Rapids.

The sign at the entrance to the Rapids says:
Video equipment and cameras are taken on this ride at the owners risk.

That is in reference to people taking them on the ride in a bag, as they risk getting their belongings wet.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2018 7:39 pm

It's not clear enough. Too open to interpretation. This is something the Park need to address before being so critical of their guests. In this scenario though, Shaun knows the official rules, and therefore he is in the wrong. With any other guest, they likely won't be as familliar with the rules, so when there are unclear signs and staff giving out incorrect information, the blame lies solely on the park itself.

Also, the fact that the sign references recording and camera equipment specifically, as opposed to "electronic devices" implies that filming may be allowed. Regular guests wouldn't know any better, and when the staff on the ride tell guests it's fine to film, then there is no reason why anyone would think it is against the rules, for this particular ride.

Just to be clear though, I am not condoning rule breaking whatsoever. But I think what has happened today also highlights the failures of Alton Towers, as well as Shaun's failure in being responsible and setting a positive example to his many, often young and easily influenced followers.
Last edited by Robert.W on Sun May 13, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TPC
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2018 8:03 pm

A blanket ban on phones and cameras certainly makes things simpler. For the rapids I think they would want to minimise the number of things that could possibly have guests moving around the boat. Trying to get that best shot would certainly be something someone would do.

It probably wasn't handled as well as it could have been by Alton, but I understand them taking exception to someone with a higher profile showing them taking photos on the ride. Shame they didn't do that for another person with a high profile who has been posting on-ride video from two of the coasters that they were dared to film.

People with cameras on rides are a pain, but luckily not that prevalent in Merlin UK parks. On this same issue, I saw them end a Quantum run early today at Thorpe as someone had their phone out and refused to react to the three calls for them to put it away. People and their actions are often the biggest causes of safety issues.

streetmagix
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2018 8:19 pm

I agree, most people are pretty good at not using cameras/phones on rides. I've never been on a ride when it's been stopped because of it. A blanket ban is probably the best way but seeing as they (mostly) fail to enforce the smoking ban and queue jumping I don't have much hope.

It is disappointing the way Alton went about this though. You can say that all filming is banned on all rides in the T&Cs but I still think it's reasonable to put it on the board in front of the ride. I feel sorry for the ride staff the most though, they've been told it's fine to film on the rapids and then Alton have VERY publically stated that they were wrong. Almost certainly they'll be pulled up on it tomorrow.

TPC
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2018 8:37 pm

streetmagix wrote:
A blanket ban is probably the best way but seeing as they (mostly) fail to enforce the smoking ban and queue jumping I don't have much hope.

Well they had fast pass sellers stood right at the entrance to Saw today, asking everyone going in if they wanted to wait 30 minutes or buy a fast pass instead, so technically Merlin were actively encouraging queue jumping as well! :lol

They would need to have very assertive staff to put any ban in place. Most do try to stop things they see, but some are a bit too young to have the confidence to really tell someone to stop in no uncertain terms and not take any nonsense.

wamdue
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 13, 2018 8:49 pm

I would bet a very high % of people are taking pictures or filming whilst on the rapids, I know I did. The other rides make it plenty clear however.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun May 13, 2018 11:17 pm

Going off the subject for a bit, Alton Towers had very good queue times today. Wicker Man was 30 minutes for part of the afternoon!