UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 249
Joined: March 2017
Location: Exactly 65.38 miles from Nemesis' entrance

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:17 pm

I think this is a good idea. Merlin know they can’t have another accident and this certainly helps. School kids can be really annoying and stupid.
Image
Thanks bubbles What a lad
 
User avatar
ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 448
Joined: April 2016

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Just remember that people like me are totally immature and will obviously injure ourselves. However, as soon as we're 18, we will be completely safe.
 
User avatar
AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 249
Joined: March 2017
Location: Exactly 65.38 miles from Nemesis' entrance

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:24 am

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:
Just remember that people like me are totally immature and will obviously injure ourselves. However, as soon as we're 18, we will be completely safe.


I get your point that the restrictions (and my post) are generalising. I agree that it’s not always the case. Some of my friends would be a problem and be stupid whereas others would be too busy analysing the shape of the boats to do anything ridiculous. There’s no perfect way to manage it. You can’t get people to take a test or something to prove they can behave. The point of this restriction is not to assume that no under 18s can be trusted, its to stop school groups going on because a significant percentage of school children can’t really be trusted. It achieves this.

Really they’re saying ‘no unaccompanied school groups’ but they can’t say that
Image
Thanks bubbles What a lad
 
User avatar
RobHand
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 62
Joined: June 2015
Location: Essex - UK
Contact:

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm quite curious to see what they deem as under 18, surely they're not going to start I.D'ing people.

I know people who are in they're early 20's that look under 18, and vice versa

Do we know how they will decide? (I'm 19 so I'm not worried for my own benefit, but I remember being 16 and going on with a group of mates)
Image
 
Doublethink
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 28
Joined: March 2018

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:09 pm

An unfortunate but necessary move on the parks behalf. It also has a lot to do with legal responsibility as if an adult is killed or seriously injured due to their own stupidity (standing up, rocking the boat etc) then it will end up being legally their own responsibility- with a child I could see the blame being pushed onto the park for not providing propper supervision. I have seen quite a few unaccompanied young groups on Congo and rumba behaving dangerously on ride.

Now please bring back the waterfalls
 
User avatar
Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: May 2017

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:15 pm

I agree with that. I'm not completely sure how they will enforce this rule though. There are so many people who could easily get away with just saying that they were over the age of 18 if if they are not, while there are other people who are actually over 18 but who might not look that old... they can't really duscriminate based on looks, they'll just have to take people word for it to be honest.

As for the waterfalls, oh my god, we've been waiting forever for these to return. Please bring them back Alton! 
Image

Image
Image
 
User avatar
Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 450
Joined: July 2016
Location: In The Smiler's Baggage Hold

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm

I believe they did ID checks last year however I am not certain.
Image
Image
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'
 
User avatar
Loakin
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 47
Joined: October 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:00 pm

This talk with the Rapids must be something quite recent, when I went on a weekday the other week the staff were filling the boats at full capacity. It is interesting that they’re not filling boats up recently.
Image
 
User avatar
Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: May 2017

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Loakin wrote:
This talk with the Rapids must be something quite recent, when I went on a weekday the other week the staff were filling the boats at full capacity. It is interesting that they’re not filling boats up recently.

They've not been filling the boats up properly all season.
Image

Image
Image
 
User avatar
Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 485
Joined: January 2013
Location: Leeds

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Smiler313 wrote:
I believe they did ID checks last year however I am not certain.


They ID’d me last year and I had to produce my driving license, so I assume the same will be done this year.
Image
 
User avatar
ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 312
Joined: March 2012
Location: Norfolk

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:26 pm

I've visited 4 times this season and not once were they filling up the boats, even on busy days, the queue line was running to the entrance of the rapids.  Normally the wooden rapid foot bridge that crosses the over to where the storage outbuilding is, just before you get to the waterproof vending machines, usually is around 10 to 15 mins wait, last time it took me around 30 to 40 mins wait just because they weren't filling the boats.  I dread to imagine how long the wait is from the ride entrance.  In all the years that I've been visiting the park since 1987, I've never seen the queue lines for the rapids so long. 
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 577
Joined: April 2018

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:48 pm

It still seems really weird that they're going out of their way to not do something that any other operator would do for the same ride. The boats have a lot of seats for a reason and it make no difference cost wise for them to be filled up.

One thing I did notice on my visit in April were boats getting stuck just before the conveyer back up to the station. One time a single boat had stopped next to the left side well away from the conveyor holding point, but that only had 2 people on it. Another time there were probably 10 boats jammed in there and staff were going out with a stick to try and sort it out. It's possible they'd had to shut down the conveyor for a bit in that instance, but in the previous it was simply the water not pushing the boat enough. Whether this is a factor in the not filling boats decision, I don't know.
 
User avatar
ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 448
Joined: April 2016

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:33 pm

When you buy tickets, over 12 year olds are counted as adults, yet for the rapids, the age to become an adult turns to 18 years old. Now that's logical bearing in mind the ticket office where you spend money is under a 15 minute walk to the rapids where the main aim is to have fun, not make money. This rapids rule really annoys me and if the park wants consistency, the age needs to be shifted to 12.
 
User avatar
Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1101
Joined: January 2015
Location: wicker man queue

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:00 pm

Robert.W wrote:
Loakin wrote:
This talk with the Rapids must be something quite recent, when I went on a weekday the other week the staff were filling the boats at full capacity. It is interesting that they’re not filling boats up recently.

They've not been filling the boats up properly all season.

He didn’t say all season, I was there last week and they were batching groups to fill the boats fully. There was a staff member standing at the end of the bridge (near the ORP kiosk) merging fastracks and standby guests - filling ALL the boats. They have been doing this for my past to visits to the park, all in the last fortnight.
Image
 
User avatar
Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: May 2017

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Stan.H wrote:
Robert.W wrote:
Loakin wrote:
This talk with the Rapids must be something quite recent, when I went on a weekday the other week the staff were filling the boats at full capacity. It is interesting that they’re not filling boats up recently.

They've not been filling the boats up properly all season.

He didn’t say all season, I was there last week and they were batching groups to fill the boats fully. There was a staff member standing at the end of the bridge (near the ORP kiosk) merging fastracks and standby guests - filling ALL the boats. They have been doing this for my past to visits to the park, all in the last fortnight.

More often than not they haven't been filling the boats up properly. It's been a problem for the entire season so far, regardless of the few random days where they may decide to fill the boats up fully.
Image

Image
Image
 
User avatar
AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 249
Joined: March 2017
Location: Exactly 65.38 miles from Nemesis' entrance

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:27 pm

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:
When you buy tickets, over 12 year olds are counted as adults, yet for the rapids, the age to become an adult turns to 18 years old. Now that's logical bearing in mind the ticket office where you spend money is under a 15 minute walk to the rapids where the main aim is to have fun, not make money. This rapids rule really annoys me and if the park wants consistency, the age needs to be shifted to 12.

That would completely defeat the point. The point is to not let school groups on without a teacher.
The age rule is nothing to be worked up about. This happened last year and it got removed after the school trip season. I'm sure the same will happen this year
Image
Thanks bubbles What a lad
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 577
Joined: April 2018

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:46 pm

TowersStreet are reporting that Congo River Rapids will no longer allow 8 people per boat. Additionally they are running a number of empty boats.

Image

This gives a fair bit of support to the idea that there is a technical issue causing the partial loading. With reports that the water has been running at a lower level this year, it's entirely possible the current isn't strong enough to reliably allow full boats.

Running empty boats seems to be suggesting that this ride is getting old and is probably in need of some TLC.

Source: TowersStreet Twitter
 
User avatar
Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: May 2017

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:26 pm

The more we find out, the more I worry about this ride. I seriously worry that Merlin might want to remove it... I'd rather they give it the TLC it needs so that they can fill all the boats up properly, so that they can turn the water levels up, turn the waterfalls back on. They should even add some new scenery. Unless they want to spend mega money on transforming the entire Katanga Canyon, keeping what's already there in good condition is the best way forward.
Image

Image
Image
 
User avatar
Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 2674
Joined: June 2009
Location: Lincoln

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Robert.W wrote:
I'd rather they give it the TLC it needs so that they can fill all the boats up properly, so that they can turn the water levels up, turn the waterfalls back on.


I imagine that all these issues are as a result of the accident at Drayton Manor last year.

The waterfalls are definitely off because of it, as that was a high-risk place on the route for guests to stand up to try and avoid getting wet.

The low water level and practice of not filling the boats are linked. With the current water level, a full boat would be much more likely to bottom out and scrape the bottom of the trough. My theory around the water level is that with less pumps running, the ride isn’t as “violent”, which reduces the risk of guests standing up and potentially falling out.
Image
Credit to the BubbleBoi
Image
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 577
Joined: April 2018

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:09 pm

Agree that the Drayton Manor incident is the most likely cause for low water levels, calmer ride and in-turn not being able to fill the boats up. I guess Thorpe don't have these issues because they can staff the majority of the course with spotters.

Edit: By technical in the previous post, I meant from the perspective of not being able to run the boats full given the lower water levels.

It's the empty boats and overall reduced number of boats, which is giving me the hint that this isn't the whole story. It doesn't make a great deal of sense to run empty boats unnecessarily.

I can't see the rapids going anytime soon, but simply this is because they won't be building a new rollercoaster anytime soon. But if they can't get it back up and running fully for whatever reason, it feels like it starts to lose its purpose and may well go.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 130 guests