UK theme parks from another point of view!

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Scarefest

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:29 pm

Justin wrote:
I have noticed that they are enforcing age restrictions this year, even if parents are happy to let their child in.

I do think age restrictions are a good thing, as it allows the actors more freedom. I know some members of the public react in different ways which may be unsuitable for younger guests to witness/hear!

The thing is, you go in the mazes to be scared. Therefore enforcing an age restriction is both good and bad. Good because it allows actors more freedom, but bad because it's an annoyance to me in two ways, trying to deal with them saying 'your not old enough' and secondly the actors possibly not 'going at it' as much as they usually would. Or I just had a bad run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:00 pm

I really enjoyed Altonville and ToTT, however I felt Sub Species was lacking something this year!

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:32 pm

Bit shocked to hear that Sub Species is slightly flat this year, especially as it was such a hit last time. Still, I shall find out for myself tomorrow.
And what would happen when the creature appeared?

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:34 pm

Yes, go in open minded to all the mazes!
It will be great to see your opinions on this year's offerings!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:54 am

The thing is some mazes do features some slightly gory scenes that may be unsuitable for those under 15, so it's completely understandable why they would like to enforce these age restrictions. The last thing they need is that one parent who decides to make it a big issue. :)

As Justin says go in with an open mind as we all prefer different things, I didn't like Sub-Species due to its theme and it was quite boring even with actors trying their hardest because I prefer creepier, less 'run!!!' Styles of mazes. :)

Stellafella
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:43 am

Yesterday was first time I've actually done the mazes. Well did 2 out of 3. Did the mine tours first and I was disappointed. Maybe it was a bad run as I didn't seem to get picked on at all. I was at back and heard people in front scream etc but never really saw anything apart from a semi naked fat bloke lol. Then I did tower of terrors as my kids aren't 15 and wanted to go in. That was great. It was more scary than the tours and was aimed at younger age. One question I have is how on earth do the actors work in the strobe section. They must have to take breaks or you would go mad.
Got to say the freak show was great too.

stevebrown
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:08 am

Stellafella wrote:
One question I have is how on earth do the actors work in the strobe section. They must have to take breaks or you would go mad.

I've often wondered that. Do they wear special contact lenses that dampen the effect of the strobe lights?

Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:36 pm

stevebrown wrote:
Stellafella wrote:
One question I have is how on earth do the actors work in the strobe section. They must have to take breaks or you would go mad.

I've often wondered that. Do they wear special contact lenses that dampen the effect of the strobe lights?

I believe that they do wear contact lenses which minimise the effect of the strobes and also protect their eyes from any damage.

I'm also pretty certain that there is a maximum amount of time they are allowed in the finale before they have to take a break (I believe 20 minutes but could be wrong).

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:54 pm

I'm sure you are correct Dan. I recall them talking about that during Scaremazing North 2015!

I bet they still get a headache though :p)

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:22 pm

Scarefest 2016 gets the thumbs up from me! :D

Terror of the Towers:
Was just the same as any other year, could certainly do with an update. The one thing I really didn't like about TotT this year was the conga line. I spent the whole time tripping over and shuffling along trying not to kick people, then there's the issue of the person in front going fast and the person behind you going slow.
I still like the concept so I'll give it 6/10

Altonville Mine Tours:
The acting in here impressed me from the start - there's no way I could do the accent in such a convincing, non-cringey way! Also brilliant theming and the characters are very interactive. Could maybe do with a few more actors in places. As a few other reviews have pointed out the ending is unnerving but it's very slow, which gives people the chance to just walk out casually, rather than screaming their heads off.
A very nice addition to the line up. I'll give it 8/10

Sub Species:
Again, I thought Sub Species was exactly the same as last year and it still remains the most intense and full-on of the mazes. This is the third time I've done it and the only time I've been completely alone from start to finish! My only complaint is that i did go at least a minute without encountering a single actor.
Still a good Maze in my opinion, another 8/10 but I'd like them to alter it for next year.

Scare Zones:
The new style has grown on me a bit. Although it gives them the opportunity to be lazier with theming and get away with it, it adds a lot of atmosphere to the park and gives an individual actor more chance to interact with one person. Freak Show exceeded my expectations actually, with my only genuine scare zone scare coming from a clown that creeped up behind me!
Clearly an improvement on last year's zones, but still short and not that scary. 7/10

The resort have definitely stepped it up from Scarefest 2015 and that's all I could have asked for, so :clap:
And what would happen when the creature appeared?

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:37 pm

Does anybody know why the River Rapids are closing before dark during Scarefest now but was open until 9pm earlier in the month?
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:31 pm

Probably due to the fact it's getting little to no queue. When I went on at midday there were approximately 12 people queuing if that. :)

Stellafella
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:51 pm

Managed to talk to an actor from tower of terrors today and asked how they deal with strobe room. Answer was the strobe is in a sequence and they do blinking exercises to counter the effect. I went in again and the strobe does go in a sequence. They also get plenty of breaks. Then did sub species which was slightly ruined by an actor telling a couple off for ages as they wouldn't let go of each other and then they got removed. Not really sure why it's that big a deal if there holding hands.

ThePunchline
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:41 pm

For those brave enough to enter altonville mine this year-

https://youtu.be/GhqbESuc2v8

DeanC
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:09 am

Justin wrote:
I really enjoyed Altonville and ToTT, however I felt Sub Species was lacking something this year!

I felt the same way. Although Sub Species lacked actors it was the most intense out of the three due to the beginning and finale! Loved Mine Tours, thought theming and actors were brilliant, and for ToTT, much better than previous years. :D
DeanC

Favourite Rides: Maverick (Cedar Point), Nemesis, and Submission (RIP :()

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:22 am

We did Scarefest on Monday, the park was nicely full and we had an awesome time.

ToTT was the weakest of the mazes again, it was still great fun but it felt so truncated. My sister went as a ghostbuster and I did love how the actors riffed on that they had a great deal of fun with it and made the experience far better than it could have been.

Sub Species was amazing again, loved it last year and it was just as intense this year, I was behind a poor woman who was terrified out of her life and nothing could stir her from her frayed state. I even found the rope in the dark section this year, which made progression easier. All in all loved it.

As for Altonville this was my favourite, despite being held up at the beginning with two from the group getting too scared and dilly dallying whilst leaving before we'd even entered. I loved the flow of the maze and the use of the lamps throughout. It felt more linear than Sub Species however the finale was terrifying and disorienting. I wandered into it and genuinely thought I'd be stuck in there for an age...

The Freak Show was good fun, the actors were good and the atmosphere fantastic, as was Dark Apocalypse, but I think again they were a bit too brief. To my mind they should have the full run of Forbidden Valley, that would be fantastic, but hey ho. Loved the whole day, it was a great Scarefest. Easily on a par with 2015

jonny9403
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi, does anyone happen to know the layout of sub species or any other scarefest maze

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Terror of the Towers runs in the West Wing above AMT and Subspecies.
If you head over to http://www.altontowers.360hdtours.co.uk you can see some of the rooms used in ToTT and Sub :)

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:30 pm

2017 Scarefest dates, woooo :yikes:

7th, 8th, 14th, 15th, 20th - 31st October 2017.
Creds to NemesisRider!

Scarefest 2018 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:14 pm

The Towers Ruins were open this weekend, and interestingly most of the ToTT route was closed- about half was open last year. I assume that they've kept it up, alongside Sub-Species and Altonville. Interesting to note that the bridge that takes you inside the maze is no longer there.

As always, the routes of Sub-Species and Altonville are still closed. The majority of the exterior theming is still standing.

With thanks to Rolicoli8 for some of most of these images