UK theme parks from another point of view!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Scarefest

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Few pics of The Welcoming taken today.

Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:59 pm

I find it incredible what they've done with the courtyard. It looks unrecognisable!
Ride count 2017: 346!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 857!
Cred count: 65!

ChessingtonSam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:17 pm

Looking at that last pic, I reckon the stage will be the exit for the maze.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Wow! Thanks for the update Aidan. It genuinely looks amazing.I would like to think the finale would be hidden in the inside bit, so part of me thinks that the old stage might be used for the safety announcement/intro to the maze. I guess we will find out this weekend when Scarefest opens :)
Even the good can fall from grace

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:48 pm

[Edit] I've only just noticed the ropes in the above picture to guide people thus confirming a hooded section which tbh people guessed from the promotional video anyway.

Markings seem to be abundance on the wood fencing. It may simply be repeating itself about The Welcoming: Be Chosen kind of message but for those going this weekend maybe keep in mind and get a snap of these markings so we could decipher them.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Alton Towers' website confirms that The Welcoming will be wheelchair accessible, apart from "one small area of the maze" - presumably the hooded section.

Due to the challenging nature of the attraction, ‘The Welcoming: Be chosen’ is only accessible to wheelchair users who are accompanied by someone able to assist manoeuvre through the maze. The floor is a soft and uneven surface which will be effected by weather conditions e.g. may get wet/muddy. Therefore, we recommend that guests who use a wheelchair speak to a staff member prior to purchasing tickets who will be able to provide accurate, on the day information. Please also note that one small area of maze will not be suitable so an alternative route will be provided. Mobility scooters will not be able to enter the attraction.

discodale
TT Member
TT Member

Scare mazes 15+ Age restriction enforcement

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm visiting Alton towers this weekend with my daughter and her friend especially for scarefest.

The girls are both 14 and we all have tickets for all 4 scare mazes as the mazes are the main reason we are traveling down from Scotland.

I'm a bit concerned that that the age restriction is 15 and over.

How strictly will this be enforced?
(How will they enforce it?)

Really don't want the girls to miss out as it's them that want to come especially for this.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:06 pm

It isn't really possible to know how strictly the age rating will be enforced in reality until the event begins, however the resort have said on Twitter that the hosts will request ID from anyone they believe to be under 15. 

harrodmjm
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:36 pm

So, fellow esteemed Scarefest fanatics; on the nature of the Extreme mazes, I'm at an impasse this year. Having done Sanctuary, Terror & Sub Species the last 3 years I'm struggling which one to choose for my visit this year. Had anyone done the Altonville Mines Extreme maze last year that could vouch how good / diff than norm that one was? 

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Unfortunately there has been no word on if the extreme mazes are heading back this year, so its looking likely they won't be returning 
Even the good can fall from grace

discodale
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Hopefully should be ok.

That reply on twitter sounds a bit vague saying they will ask for ID as apposed to saying no ID means no entry.

don't know many 15 / 16 year olds who carry their passports around at a theme park.

Hopefully a sensible view point will be taken with this and well behaved teenagers with accompanying responsible adult wont be turned away for having no ID

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:07 pm

harrodmjm wrote:
So, fellow esteemed Scarefest fanatics; on the nature of the Extreme mazes, I'm at an impasse this year. Having done Sanctuary, Terror & Sub Species the last 3 years I'm struggling which one to choose for my visit this year. Had anyone done the Altonville Mines Extreme maze last year that could vouch how good / diff than norm that one was? 

As Dom states, the Extreme mazes are unlikely to return. It seems that the trend towards 'Extreme' mazes or 'Brave It Alone' has come to an end and resorts such as Merlin's are focussing on good quality mazes instead. It is a shame, however, I've not really felt that I have missed out to be honest. Last year seemed to mark a change in attitudes, but never say never!

Bexa
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:22 pm

Are you alone in the Scare Mazes or with the people you go with?

harrodmjm
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:41 pm

Okay, so theyve never had it officially confirmed online etc since 2016. But its a quasi secret term for those in know on the day

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:14 am

You'll only ever be alone in Brave it Alone, however some Scare Mazes do incorporate separation into the mix during the run through.

Out of the four currently on offer at Scarefest I only know that Terror of the Towers you go around as a group conga line style & that Sub Species initially you are in a group but can be split from your group. Actors will actively try to split you up so you go around the maze on your own but eventually meet up again with other guests or your friends.

I've not done Altonville Mine Tours but from what I've read its fast-paced and also actors are encouraged to try and separate people.

Looking at the maze of The Welcoming: Be Chosen which is new for this year again this looks like it'll be another free-roaming maze to a point where you'll be alone or at least feel alone.

Try not to be dissuaded from doing them if you're worried about being split up, it adds to the excitement and adrenaline rush.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:45 am

harrodmjm wrote:
Okay, so theyve never had it officially confirmed online etc since 2016. But its a quasi secret term for those in know on the day

Thorpe Park advertised last year in the park. Alton Towers ran 'Extreme' for a few nights before cancelling it the day before half term.

Adam W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:12 pm

Did someone mention that staff previews are happening today? If so, think we'll hear anything tonight?

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Yes, they are taking place this evening. A few things to note; structure scaffolding on SW8 is coming down, logo for SW8 been revealed, Terror of the Towers has a new queue entrance and The Welcoming enters from SW8 side.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:02 pm

From the photos I've seen, I believe The Welcoming enters on the side kind of opposite Heave Ho, and then will exit on the SW8 side.

iloveshauni
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Anyone know if there will be anyone reporting from the towers on Saturday, how I miss towers nerd live on scarefest opening day :(