UK theme parks from another point of view!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: Scarefest

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:35 pm

lewis97 wrote:
From the photos I've seen, I believe The Welcoming enters on the side kind of opposite Heave Ho, and then will exit on the SW8 side.

You could be right. I've only seen photos of the exit then. It does make sense though as I thought it would make sense for it to exit SW8 side.

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 pm

TowersStreet have reported that TotT is now entered over the bridge at the front of the building. They have also said that the conga line is still used, which is a big disappointment for me. It just ruins the experience and if they're making TotT strictly 15+, surely they might as well make the intensity the same as all the other mazes.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Screech
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:18 pm

Can anyone recommend the best times to do the scare mazes please?

We're going in on Saturday and they say to allow 90mins for the 3. We're thinking it needs to be done after dark really but we don't want to run out of time!

Any advice?

Cheers

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Screech wrote:

We're going in on Saturday and they say to allow 90mins for the 3. We're thinking it needs to be done after dark really but we don't want to run out of time!

Any advice?

Cheers

Did you not select a time slot when booking for this Saturday?
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Bexa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:25 pm

How soon in advance would one think to buy the maze tickets? I don't exactly know the day I'm going but I do want to do a scare maze (possibly The Welcoming).
Also do they all cost 8 quid each?

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi Screech, 

I've completed mazes at various times of the day over the year, however, if you are looking for a more creepy experience then booking towards dusk is a good time as you get the atmosphere and lighting around the Towers. This year, Towers are giving guests 2 hours to complete the mazes, but ensure you book as some time slots are already selling out!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:26 pm

A recent video released by the park onto Facebook gives us a first look at this years Scarefest map.
Excuse the poor quality of  the screen shot. Here is the actual video
https://www.facebook.com/altontowersresort/videos/10155474395941201/
Even the good can fall from grace

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Bexa wrote:
How soon in advance would one think to buy the maze tickets? I don't exactly know the day I'm going but I do want to do a scare maze (possibly The Welcoming).

The mazes are £20 for the three in the towers and £8 for the welcoming. The mazes have sold out for this Saturday (there may be very limited availability on the day) so I would reccomend purchasing in advance!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:27 pm

iloveshauni wrote:
Anyone know if there will be anyone reporting from the towers on Saturday, how I miss towers nerd live on scarefest opening day :(

Try here 

http://live.themeparkguide.biz

Screech wrote:

Any advice?

Cheers

Personally I go for the earlier times, the queue times for the mazes tend to get longer after dark as not only they are more popular after dark, but they can over run if they have any down time.  But if you prefer to do them after dark for a better atmosphere, then you will need to go for a later time.  But you will then miss out on the rides in the dark.  

Bexa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 pm

MakoMania wrote:
Bexa wrote:

The mazes are £20 for the three in the towers and £8 for the welcoming. The mazes have sold out for this Saturday (there may be very limited availability on the day) so I would reccomend purchasing in advance!

Can your purchase the other mazes separately too?
Hopefully I know in the next week when I'll be going. Was thinking Thursday 26th might be my best bet as I imagine 27th-29th might be the busiest time and I can only go at the latter end of that week probably

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 pm

You can purchase individual maze tickets on the day
Even the good can fall from grace

Screech
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:33 pm

We've not purchased them yet. We were advised at time of booking that scarefest was included in the park tickets, like Thorpe park.
We've arrived today to find we have to buy tickets!
Hotel staff have said to go to ticket office when we go in park in the morning and they'll be able to sort us out.

Bexa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Ah alright, thanks!
Its my first time going round any of the mazes as its my first time going with someone who would do it with me
Also apologies if I ask too many questions here
Also is it true that you get into the Scare zone just by buying a ticket

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:36 pm

Screech wrote:
We've not purchased them yet. We were advised at time of booking that scarefest was included in the park tickets, like Thorpe park.
Hotel staff have said to go to ticket office when we go in park in the morning and they'll be able to sort us out.

You should be ok then :)

I always go for the earliest time slot for the towers mazes, little to no queueing usually!

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Screech wrote:

Sounds like a miscommunication mix up there.  Yes they are correct that the scarefest is included in your park tickets, the park will be themed with pumpkins along with the free scare zone and walkabout entertainment, Halloween music played around the park etc.. but the scare mazes are an additional add on purchase and are not included in your park tickets. 

iloveshauni
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:39 pm

ROYJESS wrote:
iloveshauni wrote:
Anyone know if there will be anyone reporting from the towers on Saturday, how I miss towers nerd live on scarefest opening day :(

Try here 

http://live.themeparkguide.biz

Screech wrote:

Any advice?

Cheers

Personally I go for the earlier times, the queue times for the mazes tend to get longer after dark as not only they are more popular after dark, but they can over run if they have any down time.  But if you prefer to do them after dark for a better atmosphere, then you will need to go for a later time.  But you will then miss out on the rides in the dark.  

Thanks mate

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:41 pm

Bexa wrote:
Ah alright, thanks!
Its my first time going round any of the mazes as its my first time going with someone who would do it with me
Also apologies if I ask too many questions here
Also is it true that you get into the Scare zone just by buying a ticket

You will need to purchase tickets for the scare mazes, 
but the Freak Show Scare zone is free and is included in your park entry ticket

Capt. Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:22 pm

So tonight was the staff preview evening for Scarefest, and I was lucky enough to go, and after experiencing The Welcoming I only have one word; WOW.

I'm spoiling absolutely NOTHING, but I can't recommend it enough, if you can, definitely go and experience it!
Keep up with Virtual Towers Online on our social media!

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:51 am

Capt. Barnacles wrote:
So tonight was the staff preview evening for Scarefest, and I was lucky enough to go, and after experiencing The Welcoming I only have one word; WOW.

I'm spoiling absolutely NOTHING, but I can't recommend it enough, if you can, definitely go and experience it!

Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to make it to Scarefest this year so would you or another member give a full description of The Welcoming when Scarefest has finished? Thanks in advance :)

TheSmilerMan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 pm

Below is my review of the four mazes on offer at Alton Towers - (I have put the reviews in spoiler tags as I'm not sure what some people may consider spoilers so read with caution)

Spoiler!
Terror of the Towers -
As already seen the entrance enters from the front of the Towers and you go up a tight narrow set of stairs and across the top of the original TotT entrance with everything pretty much the same as line year including the conga line however the maze itself is a lot more claustrophobic and the strobe maze at end is more impactful with a new LED type of strobe which has allowed Towers tech team to adjust how the strobes...strobe haha

Sub Species -
As TotT it is mostly the same for the first half of the maze which free flow returning, in the first scene you as a group can now see yourselves in the room on a night vision "CCTV" camera which adds to the realism that you are in the end games. The end of the maze where you exit the Towers is where the new stuff comes in with the return of the multiple exit routes, which I'm not afraid to admit got me rather disorientated until I realised I could go either left or right, left is a new experience however right although the most well known exit has a few subtle changes. Left for me is a new favourite as the theming in the monsters egg room is truly amazing and looks nothing like a shipping container.

Skin Snatchers -
The story remains the same although I was a little confused regarding Towers wording of further/deeper into the mine as most of the scenes look the same to last year the route felt like it took a few different turns which will even confuse the maze experts amongst you. The Mine shaft/lift scene has had a few additions which help solidify the feel of you actually entering a mine as it now genuinely looks like a lift to go down into the mine. Half naked man in the tidy whiteys returns much to most of your delight I'm sure. The ending to skin is where most will notice the change, I believe it is one which is sure to divide you all, as it comes in the form of gift shop however that is all I will say.

The Welcoming:Be Chosen -
The one I'm sure you will all be interested in, now this maze is 100% marmite you will either love it or hate it, depending on your expectations or desire of what you expect it to be. I will disappoint some of you now it's not a traditional horror maze, although it comes with jump scares and impact scares, it is a theatrical experience with amazing scenery which is just awe inspiring. What the crew have achieved in what was just the courtyard is phenomenal so when you are going through the maze take the time to look up, look down & look all around you'll notice something new even after doing it 2/3 times. The use of fire effects throughout makes this maze an experience not to be missed this year, the hoods although most of us had low expectations are explained very well as you are not to know the way to get to the festival and there is 2 routes through the forest you can take depending on whether you have the rope on your left or on your right. All the village signage throughout the maze is written in the runes that we have come to learn from SW8 and the SW8 logo is hidden within the maze hence why it was released this passed week so look out for that. Lastly listen to the actors they speak in riddles throughout and I have come to understand some of what they say has meaning and some is rubbish. Overall it is what you make of it however after two goes through I loved it and it's a brilliant addition to the resorts Halloween offering.

General Scarefest updates this year see's the mazes within the Towers have baggage holds for you to store your bags with a band system in place for all 3 mazes. Scarefest this year has something that is sure to either scare or unnerve all of us but not all of the time. The line-up is strong with something for everyone, I haven't experienced the kiddies offerings however I am to understand House of Monsters has a few changes to it's scenes and the normal Skelvin and gang performances returning at the bottom of Towers Street. For me this year Towers wins the battle of the Halloween events within Merlin. :clap: