UK theme parks from another point of view!

JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Scarefest

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:25 pm

toxicgirl wrote:
Thanks archie - any of the other big rides that you can remember? We were gonna got a bit later this year but might turn up as soon as it opens if there it's fast tracks til 12 :)

All of the main attractions and rollercoasters are available with the hotel fast track, I believe. However, you can only use the fast track once on each attraction. I was given a Hotel fastrack for the SMN event during 2014's Scarefest, and I managed to get on Sonic Spinball, Air, and Nemesis. However it was only usable untill 11, not 12. I think this has changed though.

Credit to NemesisRider

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:34 am

So far with the queue times as they have been for Scarefest. What would you say is the best route for going round on the rides? At the beginning of the season it wa a best to go with Galatica due to the throughput and working clockwise around the park but now that the throughput is much better. What would you say is the best route? Visiting on Sunday 23rd, will this be a busy day, what queue times would you expect?

archie.mm
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:33 pm

JonDoesTT wrote:
toxicgirl wrote:
Thanks archie - any of the other big rides that you can remember? We were gonna got a bit later this year but might turn up as soon as it opens if there it's fast tracks til 12 :)

All of the main attractions and rollercoasters are available with the hotel fast track, I believe. However, you can only use the fast track once on each attraction. I was given a Hotel fastrack for the SMN event during 2014's Scarefest, and I managed to get on Sonic Spinball, Air, and Nemesis. However it was only usable untill 11, not 12. I think this has changed though.

Most big rides. Smiler wasn't but they didn't tick ours off so we just went over and over again!

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:07 pm

Deadjack5 wrote:
So far with the queue times as they have been for Scarefest. What would you say is the best route for going round on the rides? At the beginning of the season it wa a best to go with Galatica due to the throughput and working clockwise around the park but now that the throughput is much better. What would you say is the best route? Visiting on Sunday 23rd, will this be a busy day, what queue times would you expect?

Start at Galactica, then Nemesis, Skyride to Dark Forest, then X-Sector, then katanga Kanyon. Then do whatever! Queues are fairly minimal for scarefest this year, expect No Longer
Than 120 Mins, most likely under 90 mins as its a sunday. Have a great day!
Creds to NemesisRider!

Scarefest 2018 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan

Lhayze
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:45 am

Hi all,
I noticed when booking mazes we have 1 timeslot for all 3, and you go through them all straight after one another?
I was sure last year while given a timeslot we was told we can go whenever we wanted.

How's it like this year? Can someone be so kind to tell me please? :D
If you do indeed do them all consecutively which order are they setup would be great to know as well.

Thanks in advance :clap:

stevebrown
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:05 pm

Lhayze wrote:
Hi all,
I noticed when booking mazes we have 1 timeslot for all 3, and you go through them all straight after one another?
I was sure last year while given a timeslot we was told we can go whenever we wanted.

If you do indeed do them all consecutively which order are they setup would be great to know as well.

Yes they want you to go in them one after the other to keep the queues an average length throughout the day. But I guess it's not written in stone and if they're not busy then you probably could go anytime. Personally I wouldn't risk it though unless staff have said you can.

I went on Sunday and had the first slot of the day - Skin Snatchers no queue, Subspecies 5 mins, Terror of the Towers no queue. Based on my experience Sunday, I would do ToT first, then Skin Snatchers then Sub Species - building up the scare levels!

All three were very good, little disappointed with Skin Snatchers from a scare point of view but that may have been because it was just 3 of us in our group - two of them chickened out after we'd been batched into our group! Nice effect with the mining lamps on the helmets some of the group have to wear. Theming for this was fantastic though. Be warned the actors will touch you and one of them even jumped on my back for a piggy-back! Sub Species was amazing this year - last year i was a little underwhelmed with it but this year because I didn't get separated from my group early on, I experienced and saw (if possible in the dark!) a lot more. ToT was ToT - still good but from what I could see, identical from last year - so much so that I think they didn't remove the maze from last year and left it in place. Nobody will touch you in ToT.

The whole day was fantastic, the park was very quiet and by lunchtime I noticed loads of security and the odd policeman wondering about. Turns out it was traveller day and they were expecting them but luckily they didn't show. Generally. I'd say queues were no more than about 30 minutes. By 5pm the park had really emptied out. The Rollercoaster Restuarant was fantastic and well worth a visit even if it is a little on the expensive side for a burger and fries and at 6.30 it was probably only half full. As I have read on here, no booking required for it during Scarefest.

By 7pm, Rita was almost walk-on (the queue was at the top of the platform steps. Thirteen was 5 mins. Oblivion was walk-on and The Smiler was about 15 mins (the queue ended halfway in the projection room). Should point out though that because of the hotel guests getting fast track until midday, the queues do grow quite considerably (at 11am, on The Smiler, Fast track was queuing out of the projection room and round the corner!). After lunch they dropped off. Of course next weekend and beyond will be half-term for most so I'm sure the crowds will pick up.

The scarezones were ok, the Freak show for me wasn't anything special - I'm wondering if they have toned it down because of the clown craze at the moment. Did prefer the zombie one at Forbidden Valley.

All rides looked amazing in the dark - Oblivion in orange, Nemesis was in red and the portal on Galactica was fantastic - my video of it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1flsidpqY

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:45 pm

stevebrown wrote:
Lhayze wrote:
Hi all,

Yes they want you to go in them one after the other to keep the queues an average length throughout the day. But I guess it's not written in stone and if they're not busy then you probably could go anytime. Personally I wouldn't risk it though unless staff have said you can.

I went on Sunday and had the first slot of the day - Skin Snatchers no queue, Subspecies 5 mins, Terror of the Towers no queue. Based on my experience Sunday, I would do ToT first, then Skin Snatchers then Sub Species - building up the scare levels!

All three were very good, little disappointed with Skin Snatchers from a scare point of view but that may have been because it was just 3 of us in our group - two of them chickened out after we'd been batched into our group! Nice effect with the mining lamps on the helmets some of the group have to wear. Theming for this was fantastic though. Be warned the actors will touch you and one of them even jumped on my back for a piggy-back! Sub Species was amazing this year - last year i was a little underwhelmed with it but this year because I didn't get separated from my group early on, I experienced and saw (if possible in the dark!) a lot more. ToT was ToT - still good but from what I could see, identical from last year - so much so that I think they didn't remove the maze from last year and left it in place. Nobody will touch you in ToT.

The whole day was fantastic, the park was very quiet and by lunchtime I noticed loads of security and the odd policeman wondering about. Turns out it was traveller day and they were expecting them but luckily they didn't show. Generally. I'd say queues were no more than about 30 minutes. By 5pm the park had really emptied out. The Rollercoaster Restuarant was fantastic and well worth a visit even if it is a little on the expensive side for a burger and fries and at 6.30 it was probably only half full. As I have read on here, no booking required for it during Scarefest.

By 7pm, Rita was almost walk-on (the queue was at the top of the platform steps. Thirteen was 5 mins. Oblivion was walk-on and The Smiler was about 15 mins (the queue ended halfway in the projection room). Should point out though that because of the hotel guests getting fast track until midday, the queues do grow quite considerably (at 11am, on The Smiler, Fast track was queuing out of the projection room and round the corner!). After lunch they dropped off. Of course next weekend and beyond will be half-term for most so I'm sure the crowds will pick up.

The scarezones were ok, the Freak show for me wasn't anything special - I'm wondering if they have toned it down because of the clown craze at the moment. Did prefer the zombie one at Forbidden Valley.

All rides looked amazing in the dark - Oblivion in orange, Nemesis was in red and the portal on Galactica was fantastic - my video of it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1flsidpqY

Thanks for the review of your visit! It was great to hear your experience.

Really do wish I could have gone Sunday now instead of the following week! Hoping due to it being a Sunday. It will be the quietest day possible. I'm hoping to expect no queues over an hour really due to the low queues so far and generally being a sunday, Not as many people go.

If anyone can give me any tips on Scarefest in general, it will be greatly appreciated!

stevebrown
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:40 pm

Deadjack5 wrote:

The route I always do any time of the season is The Smiler first - my thinking being at the opening of the park, even with lots of people heading there the queue for The Smiler won't be very big and every time I've only queued for about 20-30 minutes.

Next Oblivion, then round to Rita and Thirteen. Skyride to Nemesis and Galactica. Then walk to Duel and on to the Rapids and Mine Train. By this time its about 3-4pm

You may notice some of queue lines drop slightly late afternoon/early evening - as it gets dark, people will have booked Scare maze tickets so they go there plus others will also head home (some coach parties and younger families).

And don't forget that it's the ride queue lines that close at 9 not the park so as long as you're in the queue lines by 9pm you'll get a ride. :D

Muppet738
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:26 am

Has anyone seen what the nerf zombie strike for kids is like ?

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:44 am

Images taken from Alton Towers FB page

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:25 pm

I believe these pictures were taken outside the attraction. Judging by the description I imagine you go into a room and some sort of zombie (fake obviously as it's a kids attraction) appears and you have to shoot it down.
Ride count 2017: 346!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 857!
Cred count: 65!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:15 pm

The travelling community are out in force tonight! Park wrecked with polysterene balls over the paths. EVERYWHERE. Heavy police turnout as well.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:20 pm

MakoMania wrote:
The travelling community are out in force tonight! Park wrecked with polysterene balls over the paths. EVERYWHERE. Heavy police turnout as well.

People have been tweeting AT about a group getting beaten up in Galactica queue too.
And what would happen when the creature appeared?

DrKelman
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:23 pm

MakoMania wrote:

I've read posts on twitter about fighting in the Galactica queue line as well and a few people have left the park unhappy. I hope that tomorrow the park has less of them about.

JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:26 pm

MakoMania wrote:

Hopefully they aren't there tomorrow :/

Credit to NemesisRider

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:38 am

I wouldn't hold your breath as there won't be any alcohol served today either :-/

It was quite unpleasant last night, staff looked overwhelmed, clearly weren't expecting the trouble they got.

The Oblivion queue was held up 3 times whilst I was in it to eject queue jumpers, the paths looked like snow with little balls covering them, especially around the Towers and I saw quite a few police officers around the park, but not until the evening despite lots of trouble occuring during the day. They must have been called once the staff realised what day it was. Luckily I avoided a lot of the violence, especially in Forbidden Valley.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Count-Vonduel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Wow it sounds like it was much worse than it normally is on traveler days.
Was it?

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:54 pm

Traveller day yesterday was horrendous. Game stall staff turned their back for 2 minutes to get new prizes out and a whole swarm of them nicked loads of prizes, then ripped them apart and left the white things everywhere like MakoMania has pointed out. Queue jumping was very evident, and they have literally no respect, I can't count how many times I was nearly knocked over by them running around like they own the place! Staff weren't expecting the travellers that day so they only put all the measures (no alcohol, bag searches .etc) once it was too late. They have put those measures in today too just in case but I haven't seen any travellers today. :D

On a funnier note, one of my Picsolve codes earlier ended in EARWAX :lol

EDIT: Forgot to mention, did I mention they are disgusting? I was behind these 2 travellers (about 10/11 years old) in the Smiler exit corridor, and before I thought they could get anymore annoying one of them spat on the wall. :clap: You've done your community proud :lol
Ride count 2017: 346!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 857!
Cred count: 65!

JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Had an absolutely amazing day today, so I thought I'd post my reviews for the scare mazes and zones!
Altonville Mine Tours: Legend of the Skin Snatchers

This maze is absolutely amazing. The level of theming in this maze is unbelievable, and the story and actors were great too. Much much better than The Haunting of Molly Crowe, even though that was also a great maze. My only problem with it was that it was too short. Apparently you can be in there for a while, but even when we did the BTS, we were only in the actual maze itself for 10 mins, and we spent a lot longer in each room.

Overall rating: 8/10

Sub Species: The End Games

Much better than last year for me, although I heard people say it was not as strong as it was last year. I felt like I got to experience more of it this year, and I spent much longer in the actual maze. They also did a much better job of splitting people up, and it was still absolutely terrifying. There was a new thing in the control room, which I won't spoil here, which made that scene/room a lot better. The actors were incredible, and some of the makeup and special effects used in this maze are so good. However, I do think that they could still add more to it as it doesn't feel like it matches with the theme, and you don't feel as if you are in a sewer.

Overall rating: 9/10

Terror of the Towers: What Lies Within

](*,)

Nah, it was fine. I just hated how much shorter it was than last year, and how it was way too easy to get lost. Maybe that's a good thing for some, but when there are people in there in standard AT uniform telling you where to go, it ruins the atmosphere a bit. Other than that, though, it is still fantastic. The theme is great and the actors do a great job, considering they can't touch you. It's just a shame that it was one of the strongest mazes, but now it's probably the weakest.

Overall Rating 6/10

Freak Show

So much better than Dark Apocalypse and Nox Infernus. The actors were good, the theming and lighting was amazing. People were legitimately scared, even though the actors didn't have loud chainsaws and gory zombie makeup, which I thought was great.

Overall Rating: 8/10

Dark Apocalypse

Best scare zone last year, but in comparison to Freak Show, this scare zone is nowhere near as good. It's good to see they've expanded the area a little bit, but the actors didn't do much this year, and they weren't making people as scared as they were last year. The music and lighting are amazing, but the theming is not great at all.

Overall Rating: 5/10
Last edited by JonDoesTT on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to NemesisRider

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:57 pm

What did you rate tott?