UK theme parks from another point of view!

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Scarefest

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNzmK9jXFQ&t=191s (skip to about 2:55) Do they do this every evening? I hadn't seen it before, and can't find any other videos of this happening, but surely it would ruin your day if just got randomly chosen, or, is it fixed?    Haven't seen anyone else mention this, so I thought I'd ask!
credit to sam!

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Stan.H wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNzmK9jXFQ&t=191s (skip to about 2:55) Do they do this every evening? I hadn't seen it before, and can't find any other videos of this happening, but surely it would ruin your day if just got randomly chosen, or, is it fixed?    Haven't seen anyone else mention this, so I thought I'd ask!

There is an opening "ceremony" for Freak Show every day before it opens.

As for the guest in the box, I'm not sure if this is a staff member or a guest. I would have thought it is a regular guest.

Bexa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:39 pm

On this coming Saturday, what sort of time would you say is best to get to Galactica to have a short queue time? Also the Runaway Mine train
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Honestly, RMT's gonna be busy all the time, but around lunch time or after 7pm is when I've personally seen it at it's quietest. As for Galactica, get it done as soon as possible after you enter the park, most people go straight to X Sector.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:05 pm

Bexa wrote:
On this coming Saturday, what sort of time would you say is best to get to Galactica to have a short queue time? Also the Runaway Mine train

I'd say your best bet for Galactica would either be (as stated above) as soon as the park opens or at about 8.30pm, which is when I've seen it the quietest. Then for RMT, that pretty much has an overflowing queue all the time at scarefest, don't see why, yet it's still busy! But the best time to ride it would be the last hour of park opening, or early-afternoon, at about 1pm.  
credit to sam!

Bexa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks for the advice
How early would you recommend getting to a maze before your time slot? Also anything else I may want to prepare for?
(Sorry for so many questions)

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Bexa wrote:
Thanks for the advice
How early would you recommend getting to a maze before your time slot? Also anything else I may want to prepare for?

Have you booked your mazes yet? If so, what time? Because that would affect the time I'd recommend you to arrive. 
credit to sam!

Bexa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Stan.H wrote:
Bexa wrote:
Thanks for the advice

Have you booked your mazes yet? If so, what time? Because that would affect the time I'd recommend you to arrive. 

I believe I booked The Welcoming for 18:15

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Bexa wrote:
Stan.H wrote:
Bexa wrote:
Thanks for the advice

For The Welcoming I'd recommend you just turned up at your time slot, as queues don't really form to get your ticket scanned, so it won't affect your experience, you will probably queue through to get in, but turning up on time would mean you'd get a darker run-through, which is definitely better, because the maze is soooo much better in the dark!
Regarding other mazes (if you decide to book them), I'd personally recommend you book them for as soon as they open, as during daylight hours the mazes are generally quieter and you will have the same experience, as all the 'towers mazes' are indoors and most definitely pitch black! And if the early slots are booked, turn up maybe half-an-hour before, as queues will form to get your ticket scanned. Also, as your visiting on the Saturday, to complete all 3 mazes it'll take you around 3 hours (despite the ticket saying 90 minutes and based on my own experiences this year) as the mazes all get very very busy, especially in the evening, so take this into account!
Have a good time, and hope this helps!
credit to sam!

Bexa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Stan.H wrote:
Bexa wrote:
Stan.H wrote:

For The Welcoming I'd recommend you just turned up at your time slot, as queues don't really form to get your ticket scanned, so it won't affect your experience, you will probably queue through to get in, but turning up on time would mean you'd get a darker run-through, which is definitely better, because the maze is soooo much better in the dark!
Regarding other mazes (if you decide to book them), I'd personally recommend you book them for as soon as they open, as during daylight hours the mazes are generally quieter and you will have the same experience, as all the 'towers mazes' are indoors and most definitely pitch black! And if the early slots are booked, turn up maybe half-an-hour before, as queues will form to get your ticket scanned. Also, as your visiting on the Saturday, to complete all 3 mazes it'll take you around 3 hours (despite the ticket saying 90 minutes and based on my own experiences this year) as the mazes all get very very busy, especially in the evening, so take this into account!
Have a good time, and hope this helps!

Thank you!
I currently only have plans to do The Welcoming as the person I am going with can only really afford one maze, so the other stuff doesn't apply, but thanks anyways!

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 am

Dan wrote:
Stan.H wrote:

There is an opening "ceremony" for Freak Show every day before it opens.

As for the guest in the box, I'm not sure if this is a staff member or a guest. I would have thought it is a regular guest.

It's good to actually see this be used, I had a feeling it was but never actually saw it myself!
interesting that you'd say a regular guest Dan, I'd have put money on it being a staff member.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:26 am

Michelle wrote:
It's good to actually see this be used, I had a feeling it was but never actually saw it myself!
interesting that you'd say a regular guest Dan, I'd have put money on it being a staff member.

Having watched it again and paid more attention, it does appear to be a member of staff.

Silly me :lol

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:11 am

I had heard it's a member of the pubic, and for doing this they get some kind of prize...

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Dan wrote:
Michelle wrote:

Having watched it again and paid more attention, it does appear to be a member of staff.

My initial thoughts were that he was a plant. I very much doubt they would gunge a member of the public as they would be unlikely to have nothing to change into. 

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:49 pm

Justin wrote:
Dan wrote:
Michelle wrote:

My initial thoughts were that he was a plant. I very much doubt they would gunge a member of the public as they would be unlikely to have nothing to change into. 

Maybe if it was a member of the public, the 'prize' would be free items of clothing? However, can't really see Alton Towers doing that. However, could be true!
credit to sam!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:20 pm

After seeing another video of Freak Show, I am convinced the opening ceremony is staged - the persons reactions in another of the videos are not convincing for it to be a member of the public

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:03 pm

*in to.

If items of clothing were provided then nothing more than a t-shirt or hoodie, at a push, could be offered. Would they really want to pay out for the cost price of a t-shirt and/or hoodie each night?

That chaps reaction isn't normal either. I strongly believe he is part of it, but back on the subject of the show itself, it is a welcomed addition. It is something that I would have liked to seen if I knew it was happening!

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:14 pm

Thought I'd share my thoughts on Scarefest this year- in short, it's still a great event but it felt a lot weaker than last year.

First maze I did was The Welcoming. Once it'd been officially announced i was a bit skeptical, then when the weird location was discovered hoods came along i was really nervous it was gonna flop. Despite having everything against it, I really enjoyed this maze. It's a lot different to any other maze I've done and was far from scary- but the detailing and atmosphere more than made up for that. So much so that I actually forgot I was at Alton Towers! The hoods made sense, and after that section it just got weirder and weirder. Actors in the hooded section and the end could get very touchy as well. My issue with this maze is the lack of a real finale- the effect in that scene only worked on my first run and I haven't seen it working since which is a shame.

Next up was Mine Tours, which felt toned down this year. My first run was great, with the actors being touchy (i got cornered by two at one point), but on all my other runs the contact was minimal and it felt like there was a huge lack of actors. I can understand why it was toned down (not many people like the feeling of their ears almost being torn off) but it took away quite a lot from the experience. Also to note is that the first two pre-shows felt a lot quicker for some reason. On a positive note, it was far darker in there than i had remembered. 

Terror was next, which had a few minor changes but nothing overly noticeable. Despite being the oldest maze, it was consistent and still effective. As much as I love this maze, I feel like it's time it needs a major refresh. 

Subspecies has the same issue with AMT this year- it felt like there was a lack of actors and they weren't as physical as before. The ending was nicer than before (especially the smell pods), but the chainsaw made a brief noise and then stopped, meaning i gently walked out of the containers (except my first run). Such a shame as with a load more actors it could be INSANE.

House of Monsters was something I didn't get round to doing last year, and oh my, this is possibly one of the best attractions I've had the pleasure of experiencing. It's silly, funny, and doesn't take itself seriously. It's oozing with theatricality and charm, something that most big-budget rides struggle to capture nowadays. Genuinely amazed by this walkthrough.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:34 pm

I was discussing the mazes with Dan yesterday and I must agree, they are certainly less touchy than before which is a great shame. Something didn't feel 100%, although they were still enjoyable. The lack of actors was also noted on some of our runs.

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:27 pm

About whether the person being gunged is an actor or not, I've seen one of the strong man actors used in a few videos, so I'd say it's probably an actor each time.