UK theme parks from another point of view!

Murfs55
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Scarefest - General Discussion

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:31 pm

Can anyone on here confirm please:
We are Premium Merlin, looking to use ' Share the Fun' vouchers. Can we use this for Alton Towers Scarefest???

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Murfs55 wrote:
Can anyone on here confirm please:
We are Premium Merlin, looking to use ' Share the Fun' vouchers. Can we use this for Alton Towers Scarefest???

The answer to this FAQ states that you can :)

TuesdayNightChat
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:25 pm

I would love return of Field of 1000 screams.
It might not fit in to current Scarefest outlay with all mazes now being on park, but I think one off park hotel maze would be fantastic, as there would be room in grass car parks to do it.
I would also love the Scare Rooms to come back, made it so unique, and the build up to that during day and when you "check in" was fantastic
Scarefest was brilliant this year, felt fresher.

Randomizer462
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Hello,

Im deciding whether to do the mazes on Saturday, could anyone say whether the welcoming still contains a hooded section? And whether you’d recommend paying for the other mazes?

Thank you

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Randomizer462 wrote:
Hello,

Im deciding whether to do the mazes on Saturday, could anyone say whether the welcoming still contains a hooded section? And whether you’d recommend paying for the other mazes?

Thank you

Hooded Section:
Spoiler: show
This year there is no hooded section

I would definitely recommend the 3 maze ticket combo. Mine Tours and Sub Species are both great mazes and Project 42 can be great imo
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Can I add to that as well, if you are doing mazes be sure to book them soon as they WILL sell out in advance, with Saturday (at the time of posting this) only having 3 timeslots left, with the combo. However, if they do sell out before you get round to buying them be sure to get to the resort early and purchase 'one-shots' for each of the mazes which is slightly more than the combo ticket. 

Doublethink
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:40 pm

We had a brilliant run through House of Monsters but from what I'm hearing a few others haven't had as many actors/ as enthusiastic as we had.

We ended up in the same group as Jack Slikstone so wonder if they were putting on a bit more effort for him- it was quite entertaining to see the actors picking him out and calling him up on being a Thorpe fanboy (not the greatest Silkstone fan myself)

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:03 pm

I do think they tend to ramp it up for some. I certainly know they did on The Welcoming when I was wearing my TTSP jacket as a couple of the actors singled me out and took the mick. 

"The geeks return" and "Times of the Towers" were just a few of the things said by one! :lol

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:02 pm

I had at least 2 actors single me out in The Welcoming for wearing glasses haha :lol

nicky.borrill
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 am

Doublethink wrote:
We had a brilliant run through House of Monsters but from what I'm hearing a few others haven't had as many actors/ as enthusiastic as we had.

We ended up in the same group as Jack Slikstone so wonder if they were putting on a bit more effort for him- it was quite entertaining to see the actors picking him out and calling him up on being a Thorpe fanboy (not the greatest Silkstone fan myself)

Jack’s a nice lad and his videos are great. They’re well polished and his enthusiasm really shines through. Not set on some of his mates, but to be fair, we all have them in our circles, don’t we?  :lol
Went through a maze at Burton Screamfest with him this year. 

Doublethink
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am

Oh I agree he is a lovley guy just not a huge fan of the artificial hype in his videos. He was brilliant fun when I met him :)

Prefer Lord Sanbrook for his fun but professional attitude and more critical/independent opinions.

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Stan.H wrote:
I had at least 2 actors single me out in The Welcoming for wearing glasses haha :lol

That happened to me too! Then I turned the corner to find an actor with braces and ear piercings... 

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:19 pm

As posted on TowersTimes Facebook and Twitter, additional characters made an appearance in Mutiny Bay and on Towers Street this morning, with the addition of Altonville Mine Tours guides and a country guitarist.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:24 pm

I love that the Resort have put on some additional entertainments for today. With the park expected to be exceptionally busy it is things like this which will make all the difference to people's day. Hopefully it'll show those who allocate the budgets that it's worth giving the Entertainments Team the money to do this kindd of thing more often, and eventually even the return of some family shows outside of CBeebies Land.

Bexa
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:53 pm

Is the staggered openings of the rides still in effect during scarefest this week?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:22 pm

Bexa wrote:
Is the staggered openings of the rides still in effect during scarefest this week?

No, however, Duel, Runaway Mine Train and Congo River Rapids open at 11am - but the rest of the attractions should open at 10am (subject to weather conditions etc). 

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:36 pm

Looks like over the last few nights that they have been closing Thirteen for night time riding 

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:13 pm

ROYJESS wrote:
Looks like over the last few nights that they have been closing Thirteen for night time riding 

I suspect the closure of Th13teen during the last couple of evenings has had more to do with the low temperatures than anything else. From what I recall, I believe if the temperature drops below 4 or 5C then it can't operate.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:40 pm

Overall I am very impressed with Scarefest this year.

Both Sub Species and Altonville Mine Tours are, on the whole, stronger than they were last year. I particularly like the change to the ending of Mine Tours, which makes it much more disorientating than in previous years. I was also very impressed with The Welcoming, which has built on the groundwork laid last year to provide a much better experience, with the removal of the hooded section a welcome change, as the maze now flows far better.

I also had some impressive run throughs of Project 42. Going into Scarefest, I wasn't sure if it would feel a little empty due to Terror of the Towers no longer being present, but if anything this years feels like, in terms of the strength of the mazes, the most complete year in recent memory.

I can't say that the removal of the scare zones detracted from the event really, but it was good to see the Freak Show actors still present, albeit in a roaming role rather than being stuck in one area. I also liked the projections on the front of the Towers, a nice but simple touch.

I am back at Scarefest for the last two days of the event later this week, so I am looking forward to seeing if the maze quality will be the same as they were over ScareMazing weekend.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:42 am

We went yesterday, in a relatively large group and on the whole, had a good day up until about 6pm.

Did the mazes in the day to avoid the queues which worked perfectly.

Project 42 was terrible. Bumped into about 6 actors the whole time we were in there. Felt exactly like I was walking through an abandoned ride with some disgruntled staff members. Just a bit meh to be honest.

Altonville was the best maze by far, even if we did go the wrong way and end up going through a behind the scenes curtain the find an actor having a drink from his flask.  Haven't done this one before but it topped the Sanctuary

Sub Species had a great build up, group members being dragged through the doors etc, however ultimately once inside there were no actors at all.  Won't spoil the ending, but the guy at the end was also the least enthusiastic person I've ever seen..
The lack of scare zones like the carnival and roaming actors though was a bit of a let down. Felt more like AT in the dark rather than Halloween if I'm honest

Ride times were pretty good throughout the day, didn't queue for more than an hour on any of the main rides, but didn't manage to get Smiler done, or WickerMan in the dark.
I'm convinced that the ride times are manipulated to control crowds in the park and get people out before they and queue up at 20:55 for a final ride though.

Got in the queue for Wicker Man at 60 minutes at 6pm, ride broke down 20 minutes into it and we were still at the cattle pen inside the corner which. That's well over an hour's queue to go.

We ditched that and went to The Smiler, 80 minutes queue, ride broke down and Wicker Man said 60 minutes. Headed back to Wicker Man at 7pm meaning we could ride it and get back to the smiler before park shut.  2 hrs 30 minutes later, were stood at the station gates and the ride breaks down with no idea of when it'll be back up.

By the time we actually got back to the car it was 10pm so a waste of 4 hours. Get that rides break down, but an better estimate of queue times would  have stopped us from wasting so much time.  On a positive note, we did also notice the reverse which further proves that the ride times are a load of rubbish.  A few examples of our queues throughout the day

13 queue changed to 65 minute as we walked up to the queue - we were on in 20 minutes

Ritas queue said 60 minutes - we were on in 30 minutes

Nemesis said 45 minutes - we were on in 15 minutes

Air said 41 minutes - we were on in 15 minutes

Oblivion said 5 minutes - we were on in 30 minutes

Hex said 0 minutes - we walked out after 20 minutes
As others have mentioned, operations need to seriously up their game.  At about 8pm we counted there was 1 train going around the wickerman every 3 minutes, for about 20 - 30 minutes and LOADS of empty single seats.  Noticed the same single seats on The Smiler, and also on Nemesis, however queues for the latter are quick so it doesn't really have much impact.

Food wise, next time i'll bring a packed lunch. Several of our group had food from various places and it was vile, standards have definitely dropped since the last time I was there.  Cold rubbery burgers for £10 is not good

All in all, we had a pretty good day minus those few issues and it wasn't really too busy for the 31st during half term.