UK theme parks from another point of view!

  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
 
User avatar
sss1986
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 25
Joined: January 2014
Location: Scotland

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:17 am

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
I think it's a bit wrong putting job listings up for the 2016 season when 190 people may lose there job.



From what I read I think it's permanent staff that this affects. With seasonal staff they will still employ, but may not take on as many as what they usually do.
 
User avatar
DrKelman
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 40
Joined: June 2015
Location: The sanctuary

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:33 pm

I want to apply for a job at Alton Towers for a season and maybe even longer if they like me :?
but i'm not sure what to pick. My family said that i should try caricature artist because i really enjoy art and they say my drawings are rather good but i am not really sure if i should or not.

The other job i want to apply for is ride host so i was wondering if any one on here has actually been a caricature artist and can tell me what it is like working in that role. I would also like to know what main qualifications you would need to be ride host? I already know what you would need for a caricature artist.
Image
 
User avatar
definedancing
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 174
Joined: May 2014

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:26 am

DrKelman wrote:
I want to apply for a job at Alton Towers for a season and maybe even longer if they like me :?
but i'm not sure what to pick. My family said that i should try caricature artist because i really enjoy art and they say my drawings are rather good but i am not really sure if i should or not.

The other job i want to apply for is ride host so i was wondering if any one on here has actually been a caricature artist and can tell me what it is like working in that role. I would also like to know what main qualifications you would need to be ride host? I already know what you would need for a caricature artist.


I worked as a ride host for the 2015 season so may be able to help :).

Firstly I do know that caricature artists are hired by a separate contractor like how HB leisure and Picsolve are but I'm not sure what. I also understand that they don't hire many. So you'll really have to do your research on that one.

As for working as a ride host, they don't really want any qualifications, but a good work ethic and transferable skills from a previous job helps. It is a fun job, but they're looking for people who are good with customers, who can follow some rigid procedures and who are prepared to work in all weather conditions. The first one is very important. You can be the biggest enthusiast in the world but it'll get you nowhere if you don't care about your guests. :yes:
 
User avatar
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1803
Joined: February 2013

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:30 am

Also as a caricature artist you may not be always working, take this past year for example you hardly ever saw them working on park for obvious reasons, nobody was there. My advice is if you desperately want to work for AT apply for ride host position.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
User avatar
DrKelman
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 40
Joined: June 2015
Location: The sanctuary

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Thanks for the reply's really helped me decide which one to go for and with a little bit of luck i will get an interview and hopefully get the job if they think i'm good enough :D
Image
 
User avatar
Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 980
Joined: January 2015
Location: tully's shocktober fest
Contact:

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Does anyone know about work experience at AT??
credz to sam!
Image
feed the flames. be chosen.
 
User avatar
definedancing
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 174
Joined: May 2014

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:52 am

A lot of the seasonal jobs are now on Merlin Careers page for next season, including ride host, entertainments host, retail and F&B. Good luck!
 
User avatar
JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 314
Joined: September 2014
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:36 pm

Emporium wrote:
Does anyone know about work experience at AT??


My school have been pestering me about work experience, so naturally the first place I ask is AT. They don't do it 'widely', but you can contact them and find out.
Image

Credit to NemesisRider
 
User avatar
Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 980
Joined: January 2015
Location: tully's shocktober fest
Contact:

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:19 pm

JonDoesTT wrote:
Emporium wrote:
Does anyone know about work experience at AT??


My school have been pestering me about work experience, so naturally the first place I ask is AT. They don't do it 'widely', but you can contact them and find out.

Have you asked? Is so could I have information??
credz to sam!
Image
feed the flames. be chosen.
 
User avatar
definedancing
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 174
Joined: May 2014

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:02 am

I vaguely remember someone doing a work placement on The Flume right at the start of season, but I don't think he was there very long. So I would believe they do them, but in what capacity I have no idea.
Bear in mind that I would imagine the usual restrictions regarding insurance would still be in place, so if you're under 18 you wouldn't be allowed to operate a ride for example.
 
User avatar
NemeJaney
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 849
Joined: November 2013
Location: Back, right-hand seat of Nemmy

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:00 pm

I'm applying to work at Towers next season. If anyone here has the experience to do so, could someone possibly have a read of my CV? I'll PM it to you if that's OK.

EDIT: Although I'm sure you're all nice, it would be preferable if you were someone I know in person, so I'm not showing my details to a random person!
Image
 
User avatar
definedancing
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 174
Joined: May 2014

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:00 am

NemeJaney wrote:
I'm applying to work at Towers next season. If anyone here has the experience to do so, could someone possibly have a read of my CV? I'll PM it to you if that's OK.

EDIT: Although I'm sure you're all nice, it would be preferable if you were someone I know in person, so I'm not showing my details to a random person!


...I met you on the barrels once :yes:

You don't have to show me your CV but any advice regarding the job in itself, feel free to PM me.
 
User avatar
NemeJaney
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 849
Joined: November 2013
Location: Back, right-hand seat of Nemmy

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:26 pm

definedancing wrote:
NemeJaney wrote:
I'm applying to work at Towers next season. If anyone here has the experience to do so, could someone possibly have a read of my CV? I'll PM it to you if that's OK.

EDIT: Although I'm sure you're all nice, it would be preferable if you were someone I know in person, so I'm not showing my details to a random person!


...I met you on the barrels once :yes:

You don't have to show me your CV but any advice regarding the job in itself, feel free to PM me.


Barrels will suffice :P PM will be on its way shortly
Image
 
User avatar
oliverfox
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 28
Joined: June 2015
Contact:

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:50 pm

As for the 'loss of 190 jobs' headlines, I was doing a little bit of thinking, and wondering how it could have been interpreted by the media in such a negative way. Shoot me down if this is a totally wrong thought, but to me it seems fairly logical. Could they just advertise 190 fewer returning places for the next season? Not everyone who worked last season will reapply for next season, and depending on what their calculated number of staff retention / turnover is, they're just sacrificing 190 returning places in various roles, rather than sacking existing staff? It sounds to me as though the media are saying '190 people at Alton Towers are being sacked because of the Smiler incident', when in fact, it's a common thing for seasonal businesses to do.
I bet the season SW8 opens, there won't be 'x amount of new job roles opening at Alton Towers' headlines, despite this perhaps being true…
 
User avatar
Dan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 1936
Joined: June 2009

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:52 pm

oliverfox wrote:
As for the 'loss of 190 jobs' headlines, I was doing a little bit of thinking, and wondering how it could have been interpreted by the media in such a negative way. Shoot me down if this is a totally wrong thought, but to me it seems fairly logical. Could they just advertise 190 fewer returning places for the next season? Not everyone who worked last season will reapply for next season, and depending on what their calculated number of staff retention / turnover is, they're just sacrificing 190 returning places in various roles, rather than sacking existing staff? It sounds to me as though the media are saying '190 people at Alton Towers are being sacked because of the Smiler incident', when in fact, it's a common thing for seasonal businesses to do.
I bet the season SW8 opens, there won't be 'x amount of new job roles opening at Alton Towers' headlines, despite this perhaps being true…


The 190 jobs that were at risk were permanent, salaried employees at the resort, not seasonal staff such as ride ops/hosts/F&B etc.
Image
Image
Image
Image
 
User avatar
oliverfox
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 28
Joined: June 2015
Contact:

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Dan.N wrote:
oliverfox wrote:
As for the 'loss of 190 jobs' headlines, I was doing a little bit of thinking, and wondering how it could have been interpreted by the media in such a negative way. Shoot me down if this is a totally wrong thought, but to me it seems fairly logical. Could they just advertise 190 fewer returning places for the next season? Not everyone who worked last season will reapply for next season, and depending on what their calculated number of staff retention / turnover is, they're just sacrificing 190 returning places in various roles, rather than sacking existing staff? It sounds to me as though the media are saying '190 people at Alton Towers are being sacked because of the Smiler incident', when in fact, it's a common thing for seasonal businesses to do.
I bet the season SW8 opens, there won't be 'x amount of new job roles opening at Alton Towers' headlines, despite this perhaps being true…


The 190 jobs that were at risk were permanent, salaried employees at the resort, not seasonal staff such as ride ops/hosts/F&B etc.



Ma bad…
 
User avatar
Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 1238
Joined: April 2014

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:56 am

They are two different job type. By law if you make someone redundant then you are not allowed to readvertise that exact position for x amount of years, so the jobs advertised will have no connections to those loosing their jobs as they were permanent for a start.

Seasonal are temporary positions which would have been advertised if the redundancies occured or not.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1803
Joined: February 2013

Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2016

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:10 am

So the recruitment drive begins today and a total of 1,200 jobs are available. An article over at Stoke Sentinel has all the details.

For more information about the jobs available, visit www.altontowersjob.com
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
User avatar
Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: March 2015
Location: Rotherham

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2016

Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:21 am

When I'm older I wish to work at Alton towers, preferably ride host/op or engineer. Pay rate is a bit poop though for ride op!
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

Image
 
User avatar
CorkyForever
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 40
Joined: August 2008

Re: Staff and Recruitment General Discussion

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:30 pm

Does the staff accommodation still exist? I am assuming that this doesn't exist any more because it says they don't have any accommodation on the website but it seemed to only be 2008 where they build/bought some new residences for staff. What's the story with this?
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 104 guests