UK theme parks from another point of view!

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers Resort - Quick Questions

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:24 pm

David Ainsworth's Vlogs give an intresting insight to Alton Towers. Plus, his films of the Resort are amazing. ;)
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Count-Vonduel
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:35 am

Think they will still do a"Death Double" (without the red bun obviously) at Not Burger King if I ask them?
Also will they do it outside of AT do you think?

J2750
TT Member
TT Member

What have I missed?

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Hello, apologies if this belongs in another section/thread, but what have I missed?
I'm looking for everything I've missed from the start of last year onwards, if you'd be so kind
Thanks in advance

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Re: What have I missed?

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:01 pm

I can't promise everything is here but I've done my best:

at the start of 2016 the park announced that The Flume & Ripsaw would be permanently removed from the park whilst Sub-Terra, Charlie, Hex & Driving School remained closed for the entire 2016 season.

On 24th March 2016 Galactica opened to mixed reviews. It is a virtual reality overlay of Air, the park's B&M flying coaster.

Merlin were fined £5 million (I think?) for the Smiler incident in June 2015.

In spring/summer 2016 the park submitted plans to install a medium sized wooden rollercoaster on the site of the Flume next to Mutiny Bay. (SW8) The ride is scheduled to open in 2018 and construction began back in December.

The CBeebies Land Hotel was announced and is scheduled to open on 8th July this year behind the Alton Towers Hotel.

Scarefest returned to largely positive reviews in 2016 with the addition of the Altonville Mine Tours maze and Freak Show scare zone.

On 5th November 2016, the park reached full capacity during the Fireworks event for the first time in many years.

The park have recently confirmed that Hex & Driving School will reopen for the 2017 season, Sub-Terra remains closed whereas Charlie, Ice Age 4D have been removed from the website. Twirling Toadstool is now listed as being temporarily closed.

Some new CBeebies Land attractions have been announced for the 2017 season.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:04 pm

If you mean worldwide I created this post that reviews 2016 (including Alton) as a whole. :)

Norskor
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:15 am

Hi guys,

My trip to Towers last season was the first visit since 2011. While queuing for Nemesis I was startled by a noise (which can be heard here at around 1:33 https://youtu.be/zi6ylvsQ2bo) which happens when the train stops on the transfer track. I'm pretty sure it never used to be that loud, or is it just me? :lol Sorry if this question seems silly btw!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:15 pm

That sounds normal to me :)

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Norskor wrote:
Hi guys,

My trip to Towers last season was the first visit since 2011. While queuing for Nemesis I was startled by a noise (which can be heard here at around 1:33 https://youtu.be/zi6ylvsQ2bo) which happens when the train stops on the transfer track. I'm pretty sure it never used to be that loud, or is it just me? :lol Sorry if this question seems silly btw!

I'm not entirely sure but am I right in saying Nemesis uses friction brakes? If so, won't it just be the sound of the break pads releasing as the train crosses the transfer track?

th3lazylegend
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:29 pm

You mean the sound at 1:36? I believe it's the brake on the transfer track. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the whistling sound is the air being released from the cylinder as the brake closes. I'm not sure why that brake in particular makes the whistling sound though. :)

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:42 pm

th3lazylegend wrote:
You mean the sound at 1:36? I believe it's the brake on the transfer track. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the whistling sound is the air being released from the cylinder as the brake closes. I'm not sure why that brake in particular makes the whistling sound though. :)

That's what I thought, it seems the most logical

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:36 pm

Anyone got images of the back side of the 2008, 2009, and 2011 maps? :D
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:51 pm

S.J_O'Grady wrote:
Anyone got images of the back side of the 2008, 2009, and 2011 maps? :D

Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks but I'm really looking for the reverse side of them, where the attractions would be listed and things - they're a bit harder to come by :-k
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:01 pm

This is why you read the question twice - need to improve my exam technique, clearly! :whistle:

My apologies, I'm afraid I can't help in that case.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:40 pm

S.J_O'Grady wrote:
Thanks but I'm really looking for the reverse side of them, where the attractions would be listed and things - they're a bit harder to come by :-k

I MAY have them. I will need to have a check of my stash

EDIT: I have a 2008 Scarefest map and a 2009 map if those will do. If so I will get the images sorted asap
Even the good can fall from grace

OhShambhala
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Does anyone know how busy opening day gets? I've never done an opening day before so I'm unsure wether to leave it for a few weeks after?
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:54 pm

OhShambhala wrote:
Does anyone know how busy opening day gets? I've never done an opening day before so I'm unsure wether to leave it for a few weeks after?

Opening day is ususally in line with your average Saturday, not too busy but not quiet either :) The Smiler got the biggest queues on last year's opening day with it being 90 mins at one point, but it went down as low as 15 mins later in the day :)

OhShambhala
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks for the help. :)
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

OhShambhala wrote:

It can be anywhere between an off-peak to peak day (as in wait times), pay attention to the weather report as that strongly affects the number of visitors! Just expect around 45/60 minutes max for the main coasters, and then Smiler will average around 95 minutes, usually peaking at 130 mins at around 11.30am/12pm. My tip is too make use of ERT at Nemesis, do Galactica (once the park opens) then make your way across the park leaving The Smiler as your last ride, unless the wait significantly drops!! Have a great day!
credz to sam!
feed the flames. be chosen.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:08 am

So I'm being told that to renew an annual pass on the day at the park, I have to simply turn up and ask the turnstiles staff. Does anybody know if this is true?
I can't see the normal ticket booths being able to do it as they don't have a camera.

I've always picked up an MAP from Sea Life Manchester but I'm renewing it as an Alton Towers annual pass this year instead.