UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Luviico
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Forbidden Valley Rollercoaster Restaurant

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:32 am

I have a feeling they will really be bumping up the price compared to other eateries on park. Not only will you be paying for 'the experience' but if you look at the sample menu it looks as though it will be offering the fanciest food of the lot. Less burger and more potted ham! Who wants that on a day out to a theme park?

Johnnybuoy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:18 am

Hi - I ate in Rogos on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi last week.
If the Alton Towers version is anything like there, it will be a great addition to the park.
The Abu Dhabi version is actually a two storey restaurant, with the upper floor being a partial mezzanine, so some of the drops down to the ground floor are quite substantial!
The food does actually loop the loop up to twice on some tracks, but it must be noted that the variance in size and 'excitement' factor of the track leading to your table varies considerably from table to table dependent on what they've been able to fit in. Some tracks are pretty slow and tame, others, the food really gathers serious speed!
As the promo video now on the AT site shows, the food comes in smallish pots with a clamped on lid / top. The food is deliberately produced to 'fill' the pot neatly, so it really has nowhere to 'run'.....
Drinks are also carried on the track - either bottled drinks or fresh drinks put into jam jars with a clip on lid. The only thing that got hand delivered to your table by waiter was hot drinks (obviously H+S related).
I predict large queues...................
I also predict one of these in most major shopping centres in the UK within 5 years.
I ate at about 12.30pm on a Sunday in the one in Yas Mall (remember Sunday in the UAE is equivalent to our Monday), and there were over 120 people eating in the restaurant with a constant stream of gawpwers looking in as they went past. The novelty obviously takes some time to wear off!!

SkuM001
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:53 am

14 tables will be fine, when you consider that they seat 12 to a table, and tables are shared with other groups. Sure it's not a huge canteen that every person on park can eat at, but it's probably a decent size considering we all know it's going to be at a premium price point.

I would also agree we are likely to see these pop up in major cities and shopping malls in the years to come.

Roodie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:00 am

Not sure if anyone else posted this (can't seem to see it). But you can now book for scarefest 2016. Mine is booked :D

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:31 am

As this restaurant isn't a gigantic eatery, this restaurant should hopefully be a great place to eat to get out of the crowds, especially during Fireworks and of course scarefest.
credz to sam!
feed the flames. be chosen.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:27 am

Emporium wrote:
As this restaurant isn't a gigantic eatery, this restaurant should hopefully be a great place to eat to get out of the crowds, especially during Fireworks and of course scarefest.

If i;m to believe what i have heard, this will have queues, so it wouldn't feel as if your going to get away from the crowds :lol

But i guess on quieter days, it would be a very nice and unique place to chill and eat. I can't wait to see pictures of it when it is built.
Even the good can fall from grace

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:14 pm

New Construction Picture!

Seems like a lot of the track is now in place. I don't see why this won't be finished until May.

Source: @TowersExpert Twitter
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

TheSmilerMan
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:30 am

This is just the first stage of the work that has to be done. Transforming a shop of very minimal layout into a very complex restuarant is not easy by any means, this picture above really only shows the track. They could still have the system that runs it all to install, electrics to wire, kitchens, fridges,freezers to install, diving walls to build. Not to mention decorating it, testing it all out then the important stage of training the staff to manage it all!

One thing is for sure Merlin will not want to lose out on money this season so they will want it open ASAP. They may also just be playing it safe, don't want to book tables and it not open....just more headlines! However if it opens ahead of schedule positivity flows :)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Topic Author

Re: Rollercoaster Restaurant - 2016

Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:52 pm

Alton Towers' restaurant is now listed on the official Rollercoaster Restaurant website, with the page also detailing that there will be two lifts, two loops (which the original press release confirmed) and approximately 163 seats.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:45 am

Another bit of info is that £3million has been spent on the Rollercoaster Restaurant, as confirmed in social media responses from the Resort.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:24 am

I'd reckon this would be a mid investment year, with all the other work going on as well! I reckon we'll be surprised by the attendance this season!
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:07 pm

I'm really looking forward to giving this restaurant a go, it's going to be great having an alternative to the usual hotel food and added bonus of being in the park.
I'm really encouraged by the level of spend they're putting into the park this year, I hope the finished product reflects how much they have spent.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Ryan.B wrote:
I'd reckon this would be a mid investment year, with all the other work going on as well! I reckon we'll be surprised by the attendance this season!

2016 is a low capex cycle year for Alton Towers, according to Merlin's Resort theme park operating group capex cycle, 2017 should be high and 2018 should be the medium year.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:06 pm

Here's a photo from Birmingham Mail showing how the restaurant's exterior is currently looking. I'm excited to see how they finish off the actual entrance portal and signage, and how they've styled and decorated the interior.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:19 pm

It also looks like the Rollercoaster Restaurant will be paying homage to coasters past and present!

Featured coasters (from the promotional shots) include: Thunder Loop, Runaway Mine Train, Corkscrew and Black Hole!

sezmac
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:47 pm

Looking forward to giving it a whirl! Could be a really interesting dining experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:03 pm

Justin wrote:
It also looks like the Rollercoaster Restaurant will be paying homage to coasters past and present!

They do that in the other eateries around the park, for example in the CCL burger kitchen - there's just pictures on the walls ;)

Nice touch though :)

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Adam.W wrote:
Justin wrote:

They do that in the other eateries around the park, for example in the CCL burger kitchen - there's just pictures on the walls ;)

Nice touch though :)

Yes they do, but these are different, promoting rides past and present. I expect it to be a feature/draw instead of a graphic stuck on the wall.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Here's a video of a bottle being sent down the track, as well as providing a look at the current state of the interior. If this doesn't get you hyped, what will...?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:55 pm

As part of the Rollercoaster Restaurant's promotion, the resort have launched the 'Kids Tasting Panel', which will see 5 children aged 12 or under get to try some of the restaurant's dishes and tour the restaurant itself before it opens to the public.

Full details are available on the resort's website.