UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Galactica

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Sadly I agree as well. It's even worse that I had a big soft spot for Air, listening to the queue line music chokes me up a bit.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Must agree with Dan. I lost a little love for Galactica as the audio was just awful! One of my ear pieces wasn't working and I had to wiggle the wire around to make it work. It was so quiet and you could barely hear it against the ride.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:34 am

I have a weird question but does anyone have any tricks to get the VR in focus fast enough for the ride's launch? I'm pretty sure I experienced it with pretty blurry VR and was curious if anyone's found a trick to make it work better.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:56 am

saw-x-smile wrote:
I have a weird question but does anyone have any tricks to get the VR in focus fast enough for the ride's launch? I'm pretty sure I experienced it with pretty blurry VR and was curious if anyone's found a trick to make it work better.

Blurry 240p quality VR with little to no audio is pretty standard on Galactica this year unfortunately :(
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Screech
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Has galactica been running recently? What's it's down time been like?

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 pm

First time experiencing as Galactica, The VR was fun but it was very blurry , the audio was shocking sadly and think Galactica VR days if not addressed by much better software are numbered , The main thing I realised today was more people were riding as AIR rather than Galactica , this should be proof enough that Galactica VR in its current state won't last long.

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:34 pm

The VR really isn't great. Is be approved to see it last until 2020, what Merlin really need to do is add a bit more theming and really embrace the idea of space travel, but I don't see that happening unfortunately
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort, and enjoyment.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:34 am

GALACTICA
Blast through an advanced space travel portal to another dimension. We've combined the experience of our iconic flying rollercoaster with cutting-edge Virtual Reality. Now you can become a space tourist through this unique combination of physically flying coupled with the breathtakingly emotional journey of travelling through space.

With the closed season upon us, how would you review Galactica at the Alton Towers Resort?

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Scrap the VR, keep the theme. Nothing else can really be said haha
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

TheDuke
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Liam.W wrote:
Scrap the VR, keep the theme. Nothing else can really be said haha

May aswell keep the VR as they already have the system running but they should atleast theme/repaint the rest of the track and area as the colour difference is the worst thing IMO. I do miss the air theme all being said

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Somehow although Air's theme was nothing like that of Nemesis, it complimented the area really well and it just worked. Not only is Galactica a terrible pathetic attempt at bringing in crowds, it ruined the whole feel of the area. This year in particular it's been awful. No audio, blurry picture, and some headsets just not working at all. Every time I've seen it hardly anyone is wearing the headsets. And to think, that when it first opened they'd were trying to enforce the VR! I think the fact that nobody bothers just sums it up. They threw a load of money at what is essentially a near-miss element you can't see and the ruining of an area's theming.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:46 pm

The VR is decent, However it's not the best quality picture, The improvements were to the area were nice. 

However the VR will soon become outdated and it, in my opinion, should be removed as there's nothing else in the country that compares with the experience of flying like that.

Personally, on a small investment year I would remove the VR and enhance the ride such as Air's infamous tunnel by adding some sort of theming in the form a planet or space station(Or even rockwork) and the return of ORP's as it's probably more profitable than the Head in a Hole thing (which was mostly off in 2017). Maybe even bring back Air's soundtrack alongside the Galactica soundtrack as well!

The ride may not be perfect still but my gosh I love it you fly through Galactica's portal!
[Insert Signature Here]

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:13 pm

As Air, Galactica was one of my favourite rides on park purely due to the smoothness of the coaster. The tranquil setting was in contrast to the rest of Forbidden Valley, although it has always seemed mismatched. I still enjoy the ride, but after the novelty of VR wore off after just a few goes due to the slow dispatch and technical issues, the ride has gone down in my estimations.  I actually like the theming and soundtrack of Galactica though and believe these are an improvement. It is just a shame that more was not made of the physical theming, like the portal, as it had (and still has) the potential to be a well-themed ride. At the moment it is gelling less-so than the Air brand with Forbidden Valley, although it could be so easily tied in more with the Nemesis story and space theme. It could also be a good attraction to a Space themed area if the park was to ever expand onto the car park behind.

Stripping back the theming, the ride still offers a punch!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:56 pm

To be honest, I don't think either Air or Galactica have ever really fit that well into Forbidden Valley, but considering FV's theme revolving around Nemeses - an alien creature destroying Earth, Galactica perhaps does hade the upper hand in comparison to Air, thematically. It's not that Air didn't fit in, it just felt more separate than Galactica does with the rest of FV. 
Personally, going in to the future, if they can't get the problems sorted with the VR and work out a way to improve dispatch times by next season, I'd like to see the VR removed entirely.
I agree with Justin that it is a shame that they didn't do more actual theming around the ride, because at the moment, if you choose not to wear the VR headset, the ride's name is pretty much meaningless, which brings me onto my next point, that I think that they should change the name of the ride to combine the themes of both Air and Galactica, possibly going with something like "airGalactica" or "airSPACE", unless of course, they were to add more actual galactic theming to the area so that non-VR wearing riders would still get a similar experience, but unfortunately, this is very unlikely to happen. 
Overall, I do still like the ride, but I feel the experience it offers could be so much better than at present.

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 am

I fell in love with Galactica (or air, as it was known then) during a cold, rainy summer's day in 2013. It was my first inverting rollercoaster, which was a pretty big deal for me at the time.
I remember how smooth it was, and how fantastically different it felt. During the course of the day, I rode it three times, and after these rides it was obvious to me that it was my top coaster, a place it has held ever since. However sad it sounds, I felt a connection with it. This connection was only greatened when out of nowhere, the rice actually received a storyline, a theme of some sorts. The portal is one of my favourite things on park, second only to the towers themselves. The VR, while somewhat "visually challenged" is a welcome addition for some, and if Alton actually do change up the destinations once in a while, *could* work relatively well. I still love it, but it's still got a few issues that need to be ironed out.
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort, and enjoyment.