General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

Galactica

TT Member
User

stevebrown

Re: Galactica - 2016 Air Re-theme

by stevebrown » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Here's the portal at night that I filmed last week. So much more effective at night!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1flsidpqY
Community Advocate
User

Luce

by Luce » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:47 pm

I've slightly revised my initial opinion, as although I still enjoy it as Galactica, I tried it without the VR twice over the weekend and I was surprised at how much I missed actually seeing the scenery around me. It was nice to be able to experience the ride just as a rollercoaster again and it made a big difference, especially the close to the ground sections of the ride which are some of my favourite elements on a coaster :)

TT Member
User

Adam.W

by Adam.W » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:16 pm

stevebrown wrote:Here's the portal at night that I filmed last week. So much more effective at night!

To say that was impressive would be an understatement. Some seriously good work from Merlin there.
TT Member
User

Deadjack5

by Deadjack5 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Has anyone noticed the posters in the exit to the ride in the stairs? I don't know if this ha been mentioned before but it's showing new destinations for the ride. Can't remember if it's been said before
Team TTSP
User

Ladyofthelake

by Ladyofthelake » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:48 pm

Deadjack5 wrote:Has anyone noticed the posters in the exit to the ride in the stairs? I don't know if this ha been mentioned before but it's showing new destinations for the ride. Can't remember if it's been said before

I'm afraid those posters are merely theming elements and don't indicate that any new videos are coming to the attraction for definite. The VR videos are quite expensive to produce with each film costing £100, 000. Of course that doesn't mean the Resort will never produce a new video, and I personally would like to see a new destination as having two options would give the VR element a little more variation, I just don't think we can read too much into the posters.
TT Member
User

Stan.H

by Stan.H » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:08 pm

Deadjack5 wrote:Has anyone noticed the posters in the exit to the ride in the stairs? I don't know if this ha been mentioned before but it's showing new destinations for the ride. Can't remember if it's been said before

The posters have always been there! I hope they do create new destinations, lots more re-ride ability!
Creds to NemesisRider!

Scarefest 2017 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan

TT Member
User

stevebrown

by stevebrown » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:08 am

Adam.W wrote:
stevebrown wrote:Here's the portal at night that I filmed last week. So much more effective at night!

To say that was impressive would be an understatement. Some seriously good work from Merlin there.

I know, it's such a shame that for 95% of the season it's only seen in daylight.

Maybe they should enclose that area of the track and viewing area so it's completely dark! They could add lights in the roof to create the effect of stars lol :P :D
Site Owner
User

Baffles

by Baffles » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:51 am

It's a lovely piece of theming. The mist is great - just hope they can keep it limescale-free in the future.
TT Member
User

Smiler313

Re: Galactica

by Smiler313 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Martin Cooper has uploaded a 25min recording of the Galactica soundtrack - be sure to give it a listen. My favourite part is from 21:50 to 24:10 as it fits the scene just perfectly in the evenings with an orange sky and equally as good at night! :)
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

TT Member
User

TheDuke

by TheDuke » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:24 am

I don't know which of the galactica topics this best fit but anyway,
I've been thinking about how the VR experience could be changed to extend the life of the ride or for different events in the park, so at scarefest for example you could have a version were you're flying around the nemesis monster. Thoughts on this?
TT Member
User

theparklifekid

by theparklifekid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:50 am

I highly doubt that they will change the VR video for only a few weeks a year, the closest thing they may do is add different 'planets' to explore.

As for extending the life, I think it would be wise to consider the Oculus Santa Cruz in the future. Its basically a cross between an Oculus Rift and Gear VR (which is currently in place), the headset is more powerful, uses internal cameras to judge its position instead of external sensors and apparently has a higher resolution and better stability than a Gear VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIUYDUlGJzM
Heres a quick video showing it off.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

TT Member
User

TheDuke

by TheDuke » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:03 am

I highly doubt it too just bringing up an idea and looks good
TT Member
User

NemesisRider

by NemesisRider » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:21 pm

I found this on the Galactica website:

https://www.galacticatours.com/our-destinations

Which, when I asked if this was new, prompted an interesting response from Towers on Twitter:

So, is more coming to Galactica? Maybe more VR sequences created before they realised Galactica wasn't much of a commercial success? Or, is it something like extra theming? Or nothing? I don't really know, I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.
Check out my NoLimits 2 creations here
"I'm a bit sad that you can't at least look round without being blamed for 75% of all kidnappings ever"
Team TTSP
User

lewis97

by lewis97 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:07 pm

The 'More Destinations Coming Soon' image on the website isn't new, however Towers' response is intriguing nonetheless.

TT Member
User

jdoughtyqpr

by jdoughtyqpr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:40 pm

New teaser with a smiler S. New vr experience for galactica with a smiler theme?
TT Member
User

S.J_O'Grady

by S.J_O'Grady » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:47 pm

jdoughtyqpr wrote:New teaser with a smiler S. New vr experience for galactica with a smiler theme?

Possibly. This is being debated over on the General Discussions.
And what would happen when the creature appeared?
Team TTSP
User

lewis97

by lewis97 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:23 pm

This article from the Stoke Sentinel confirms that there will be "new headsets on the Galactica rollercoaster" for the 2017 season.
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:56 pm

I hope they wait a month and use the new S8 phones and new GearVR headsets.

That being said the rumoured hearty cost increase may mean they steer clear, although fingers crossed they don't!
TT Member
User

NemesisRider

by NemesisRider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:26 pm

I think that's fairly unlikely Owen. From what I understand, Alton Towers wants to have the VR operating as much as possible so they'd avoid complaints from guests who wish to experience the VR but can't for whatever reason (e.g multiple headsets being down). Although better phones and headsets would be nice, I don't think Towers will be making any changes this late on (or they'd at least try to get some more value out of the current headsets).

New headsets would also explain the lack of VR on Galactica on Services Days and the various events hosted before opening day.
Check out my NoLimits 2 creations here
"I'm a bit sad that you can't at least look round without being blamed for 75% of all kidnappings ever"
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:31 pm

What I mean is I hope that they change new headsets next month as opposed to the start of season (what I mean by hold off). It's unlikely yes, but it would certainly be a welcome change!
Previous