UK theme parks from another point of view!

manamonkey
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers Resort - Quick Questions

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:13 pm

We are staying in the Enchanted Village and it said on my booking that we were allowed to eat at the Secret Garden if we weren't able to get into the Crooked Spoon for breakfast. Not sure if it's the same for SL

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:08 pm

As far as I'm aware, when you stay at the resort, you are allowed to use any of the restaurants, bars or entertainment facilities from all three resorts subject to availability (also the swimming pool at a fee).

Even as a non hotel resident, they will also allow you to eat at the restaurant in the evening providing they are not busy.

Rob247
TT Member
TT Member

Evening Entertainment Times

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi,

We are staying over at the Alton towers hotel in a couple of weeks on a Friday night with our two year old daughter.

Does anyone know the start and end time for the evening entertainment (for my daughter, not us) at both hotels? Just wondering the best time to book dinner.

Also I've read that the Splash Landings hotels entertainment is better suited for a 2 year old?

Many Thanks

mandyfowler
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:09 pm

When did the name Rita Queen of Speed get changed and why was this?

When Oblivion was new, you used to get a recorded voice at the top of the drop that said 'Don't Look Down' which I loved and I thought it was a great prelude to the drop. Why was it abandoned?
Last edited by lewis97 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged posts

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Rita

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:42 pm

mandyfowler wrote:
When did the name Rita Queen of Speed get changed and why was this?

'Rita: Queen Of Speed' became 'Rita' for the 2010 season when Ugland got transformed into the Dark Forest with the arrival of Th13teen.
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:24 pm

mandyfowler wrote:
When Oblivion was new, you used to get a recorded voice at the top of the drop that said 'Don't Look Down' which I loved and I thought it was a great prelude to the drop. Why was it abandoned?

The audio at the top of the drop was removed due to a noise complaint from a couple who live close to the park. They argued that the audio resulted in additional screams from riders which could then be heard outside the boundary of the park.

A judge ruled in their favour and Alton had to remove it.

HalfwayCorrected
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Does anyone know how Merlin make or where they buy the audio control panels from which are in the ops cabin? And how do they work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:38 am

HalfwayCorrected wrote:
Does anyone know how Merlin make or where they buy the audio control panels from which are in the ops cabin? And how do they work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are just sound boards essentially, with buttons which correspond to certain announcements or sound effects that the Op can press and play. Though on certain rides the Op can select a certain area/section to play an announcement too. With regards to the PA systems which the Op will use to speak to guests without the use of pre recorded messages, it is a normal PA system you would find at a race track or large open space venue, but again with the ability to speak to the whole ride area/certain ride sections.

Martinw
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Evening Entertainment Times

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:34 am

Rob247 wrote:
Hi,

We are staying over at the Alton towers hotel in a couple of weeks on a Friday night with our two year old daughter.

Does anyone know the start and end time for the evening entertainment (for my daughter, not us) at both hotels? Just wondering the best time to book dinner.

Also I've read that the Splash Landings hotels entertainment is better suited for a 2 year old?

Many Thanks

Hi, Splash is better suited for a 2 year old, unfortunately I can't remember the times but check out this link for entertainment info...

https://www.altontowers.com/short-break ... ings-hotel

fabiasimon
TT Member
TT Member

Merlin bring a friend vouchers

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi all,
Long shot but does anyone have any spare £10 merlin bring a friend vouchers spare for sale?
I need 3 for Saturday.
Thanks
Simon

towerslover
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:25 pm

Hi, does anybody know if it's true that on very quiet days the runaway mine train has been known to do three circuits? Is this common?

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Yes, if it is quiet/the queue is low you'll probably get more than two laps :)

bryn_the_pen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:39 pm

Do towers rucksacs exist? Because I know they have the messenger type bags.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:06 pm

When The Smiler stops on the vertical lift, why must it be reversed and restarted from the bottom? I've seen it happen a couple of times and always wondered why.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Tom170499 wrote:
When The Smiler stops on the vertical lift, why must it be reversed and restarted from the bottom? I've seen it happen a couple of times and always wondered why.

My guess is that it might be too strenuous on the chain to start again from the vertical position?
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:39 pm

Liam.W wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:

My guess is that it might be too strenuous on the chain to start again from the vertical position?

I was thinking that myself. Either that or the train is required to be at to bottom to reset the blocks after a stop?

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:37 am

Tom170499 wrote:
Liam.W wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:

I was thinking that myself. Either that or the train is required to be at to bottom to reset the blocks after a stop?

Could it be that during an emergency stop (or any other problem), all the rollback fins on the lift automatically go up? (since the lift hill uses magnetic anti-rollback fins). My guess is that it's difficult for the system to tell where the train is, and requires the train to be sent back to the bottom. On other coasters, it's as easy as just resuming the chain, so this is why I think this.

Macca79
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:37 am

Hi all
Been visiting The Towers for years but this is the first year i have a merlin pass.
Does the discount on food include the Hotel restaurants?

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:46 am

Yes it does :)

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:12 am

2 Questions about Galactica...

1) Has the loop extension on the hill after the shelter been used this season?

2) Everyone calls it the loop extension. But from images and having queued just by it, I could see 3 extension queue gates, how come? I there some sort of cattle pen because if it just looped, then surely they would only need 2 extension queue gates?

:)
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'