UK theme parks from another point of view!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Duel - General Discussion

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Team TTSP Edit - New topic created.

I rode Duel mulitiple times on Tuesday and Wednesday. Overall, I'm actually very pleased with all the changes and improvements. 

The façade looks much better with the ivy trimmed back, and the new outdoor music really sets the spooky atmosphere well. On to the queue inside, the new portraits, while they are just a little too bright, are still a nice addition, giving the queue something new for guests to look at. The new queue and station music is nice too, even if I was a bit disappointed to see they had removed the old announcements in the station.

On to the ride itself, there were certain scenes which had improved dramatically! The first scene with the moving walls and thunder looked much better than before. Another was the Screaming Heads room, the actual heads looked much fresher, and the overall effect was a much better experience than before TLC. Another of the areas which I really enjoyed was the garden scene, where the new lighting has been very effective in my opinion! I was also very impressed on how many of the effects were working too, although, on some of the later rides on Wednesday, one or two of the effects had seemingly been turned off or had broken. One of the best things to come from the TLC has to be the new soundtrack though. It's just what the ride needed, and anyone who isn't sure of it now, I'm certain you'll grow to like it. It really is much more atmospheric, and I found it worked very well, along with the old sound effects, and certainly wasn't too quiet, which I have seen some criticism of. If there was one thing I'd change about the soundtrack, it would be that I would bring the old spider sound effects back to the giant spider scene, as I always thought that worked pretty well, and was actually surprised it had been removed in the first place.

All in all, I'm very pleased, and with further tweaking as the season continues, I'm sure it'll only get better and better! (And I can't wait for them to get that Trommel Tunnel working again!) :)

Wumbamillo
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Duel - General Discussion

Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Some of the works are much needed improvements, but there's still a lot more to be done.

There needs to be a lot more done to choreograph the ride together as an experience, which is the element of surprising and timing that made it really excellent in the past.

Some of the lighting is a step forward in some places, in others it is a step back. They've clearly not understood how to do the UV effects properly and you can still see the moving mechanisms for the bats and flying heads, as well as blank walls in the spider scene, none of which should ever be seen. It's that principle of illusion that's missing currently.

The UV throughout is that horrible LED UV style, which doesn't produce the same 'invisible light' effect of traditional UV. The previous UV was also poorly installed in recent years, but nothing like the original UV in the ride's first year which was really profesh! It now does reveal some of the old UV artwork that hasnt been seen for years, but looks faded and worn now after so long.

Also, the preshow is mixed. I'm so glad they removed the TV screens with the contrived attempt at a 'backstory'  instead of just delivering a fantastic haunted house experience, but the new screens are just as distracting I think. They beam out a digital glow and look like stock images downloaded from the internet, not a convincing portrait effect at all. The actual painted portraits with moving eyes were much creepier. The room is lit far too brightly, I remember it being a lot more detailed and chilling.

The new music is really excellent though, I think people complaining that it's too cartoony or doesnt suit the ride need to take a step back. It's really atmospheric, jaunty and builds up in the dramatic moments really well. It's cleverly like an on board soundtrack that rises and falls with the scenes you go through, rather than a constant background loop, so much more effective, and gives the ride its spook back.

However audio wise it's no where near as good as it could be, there are many dead spots for music, missing or dated sounding SFX, it's all a bit lame overall.

So it's fantastic to see this kind of work finally being done in Duel, but that's my constructive criticism. I really hope eventually it could be restored as a staple family attraction for Towers and not resigned to a cheapo Scooby Doo redo or something!

glittabones
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:45 pm

I had a lot of re-rides on Duel this week - enjoyed it much more than I did a few years ago. I still hate the laser guns and ride without using them, and some rooms need to be a little darker, but overall it's a fun experience. The new music is BRILLIANT.

The tunnel is still broken!

Cobby
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 07, 2018 9:16 pm

I'm really happy with the overall improvements on Duel and I think as a whole they have/are doing a good job. The only thing I would say is that, after talking to some GP friends, they could do with putting a sign up on the main entrance/ doors saying some a long the line of, "A million apologies but Duel is under going some TLC and may not look its best at the moment, however we have opened the ride for you to enjoy as we continue to make magical experiences. Follow our progress on twitter @AltonTLC." Something along them lines to basically inform the GP that it is under going some refurbishment and that somethings may not look right because of it. At the moment a few people may think that it looks rubbish as somethings may not be finished/fully working and they don't know about the referb work that is going on.

Zach
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri May 25, 2018 12:16 pm

I’m really not sold on the new music, I don’t think it has the effect or punch the old music had

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 12:20 pm

I think it's a lot more atmospheric than the old. Although I think the old music better suited the type of ride that it was. It's like they want Duel to be both an amazing haunted house and a laser shooting dark ride... regardless, I still like it better than the old music!