UK theme parks from another point of view!

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Drayton Manor Event

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi Guys,

I've finally got hold of someone at Drayton Manor and am in early discussions with the resort in to holding an event there. This would be on the Friday before Summer Sizzler at Alton Towers.

Having never been to Drayton Manor i'm unsure what kind of things we should be aiming for, any ideas would be appreciated.

Anyway ideas and comments appreciated so please discuss.

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Drayton Manor Event

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:46 pm

I'm totally in favour of trying to get something going, although as others mentioned via Facebook we will need to see what can be done on costs maybe corp rate tickets or something similar would be possible?

It's not the best park in the world but they do have a good selection of rides and the zoo is nice too.

I suppose things to target would be BTS on a ride or two? Main ones I guess would be Shockwave or G Force, maybe even The Haunting or Pirates Adventure?

A talk from management would be a possibility too, I remember Colin Bryan used to be quite friendly with the Drayton Manor Plus fan site that used to exist years back.

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:22 pm

Few points for and against.
- New park so might hold interest for repeat attenders
-hopefully they may offer us a good package with it being a slightly smaller park. Better value for money and I'd assume we'll at least look at charging slightly to offset the cost of people needing to pay entry.

-not everyone will book the Friday off work (I probably can't)
-as people have mentioned everyone will have to pay entry costs on top of event costs.
-from a team perspective Southern Weekender left us all knackered and that was at parks we all knew well. Drayton is a bit of an unknown and to do it the day before Alton might just mean everyone on the team being a bit flat for Sizzler.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:35 pm

I'm kind of in two minds about a Drayton Manor event. Whilst it would be good to do something different at a different park, I think there are alot of things we need to take into consideration.

Cost
As Drayton is a non Merlin park we would have to factor in park entry on top of any event fee we charge. This would add a significant amount onto the cost of an event weekend for people which, for some, would mean they would have to make a choice between either the Alton event or the Drayton event.

Appeal
How much appeal would Drayton Manor actually have for people? There will be a few who won't have been, however there will also be a fair number of people for whom Drayton won't hold that much appeal for as a park as the focus for the park has very much been on the family side as opposed to thrills in recent years.

Timing
I would question if it was wise to hold an event on a Friday. For many people it is difficult to get the whole of Friday off, with many of our event regulars typically arriving any time from lunch onwards due to the travel times or having to make their way to the park after they've finished work. For example, it would be very difficult for someone based towards London to make it to Drayton for our usual event start time simply due to the rush hour traffic. Even for someone like myself based in the midlands, the amount of traffic at the time I'd need to travel would make it tricky to get to the park on time.

Other Practicalities
There's also quite a few other things we should take into account. I expect many people would still look at booking Alton's accommodation which would mean traveling from Drayton either at rush hour, or waiting and taking time out of the evening on the Friday. As we discovered when we did the Southern Weekender at Thorpe and Chessington last year, two day events are exhausting from both a team and member perspective, we'd need to consider how much we tried to do to try and make sure we're not too tired from day one to fully run and enjoy day two - there would be a risk people would be a bit flat for Sizzler.

That said, if we were to go ahead with a Drayton event Tom's suggestion of BTS on something would be good. Perhaps potentially ERT on a ride too (not sure which would have the most appeal).

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:53 am

Sorry, I'd missed the bit about it being a Friday. I don't think that would be a brilliant idea if I'm honest. It would severely restrict the amount of people likely to attend.

If we could get a really good package (BTS, ERT and talk etc) from the park then it would be worthwhile, otherwise I can't see it really being that attractive to our attendees.

We will be able to judge better after you're conversation this week so that we actually know what is on offer.

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:17 am

I do expect a low attendance but this is not necessarily a bad thing, think of it as a bonus.

My plan would be to go for the following:

AM ERT
Talk
BST of 2 attractions

With it being on the Friday the park will be less busy and the park more likely to be accommodating. Will see how the chat goes on Wednesday.

Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say :)

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:34 pm

Successful chat with DM. They now know what we would be looking for so will now come back with a plan and a price.

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Did you have anything back from DM on this Rob? :)

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Nope nothing yet.