UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: June 2012
Location: Berkshire

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:30 am

It's a bit like Saw, it depends on who batches you as to if you can go in the front or not.

It always makes me laugh on Saw when you have 6 people and you request 4 in the front and 2 in the back so the batcher says "3 in the front and 3 in the back"
If you go down to the woods today
 
jclarke11
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 52
Joined: February 2013

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:21 am

A question - is the ride photo taken after the Sea-Serpent rolls?? If not then where is it taken?
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4124
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire / York

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:25 am

jclarke11 wrote:
A question - is the ride photo taken after the Sea-Serpent rolls?? If not then where is it taken?


Yes, it is on the exit of the sea serpent, and then the photo of the whole train is just after you crest the second airtime hill, I believe.
Image
 
jclarke11
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 52
Joined: February 2013

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:38 am

lewis97 wrote:
jclarke11 wrote:
A question - is the ride photo taken after the Sea-Serpent rolls?? If not then where is it taken?


Yes, it is on the exit of the sea serpent, and then the photo of the whole train is just after you crest the second airtime hill, I believe.
Thanks - just wanted to check!
 
User avatar
N3m3s1s
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 331
Joined: March 2012

The Smiler - Other Discussion

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:24 am

I saw the rooms the other day, opposite the lift on the top floor of the AT hotel. They look pretty cool, I must admit!
 
luke.eggerton
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 21
Joined: April 2010

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Regarding disabled on the smiler. Does it have wheelchair access ? And also how long does it take to get on the ride with wheelchairs ?
 
SmilingMonkey
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 73
Joined: March 2013
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:44 pm

N3m3s1s wrote:
I saw the rooms the other day, opposite the lift on the top floor of the AT hotel. They look pretty cool, I must admit!


I caught site of them on my last visit, very bright and very themed! Have to say it looks like they've done a good job with them!
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
 
SmilingMonkey
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 73
Joined: March 2013
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Forza_Dan24 wrote:
OptimaX wrote:
So how about the fast track tickets. What is available for The Smiler? Does the silver/gold/platinum fastrack include The Smiler for the same price?


At the moment no Fastrack ticket applies to The Smiler. There are plans to introduce this as the queue lines etc are all set up for it but I'm not sure how far into the season this will be.


Fastrack is now available for The Smiler. Reports from visitors suggest this is either £6/£10 depending on the time of day!? In addition those with Gold/Platinum fastracks have been able to use them for The Smiler although there doesn't seem to be any official word on this.
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
 
User avatar
Instant Mix
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 162
Joined: March 2010

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:12 pm

Whatever happens when the smiler stalls : MP3 Link

also here's a direct link to the soundtrack: MP3 Download link ( Right click and select "save as" )
Image
 
User avatar
bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: June 2012
Location: Berkshire

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Has anyone else noticed that the quality of the WiFi signal in the main Smiler queue is almost non-existent? I am wondering if they have not installed the access points yet or the metal fences are acting like a Faraday cage...

Image

Whilst walking around the queue I could see 5 different access points coming and going. But even when I was over at Oblivion the signal there was not great "Unable to detect proxy" "Unable to obtain IP address" the signal was bouncing around and other people in the queue were having the same issue. (Blackberry phones, iPhones, Samsung and HTC phones before people say it is down to a rubbish phone)

I believe this is down to:
-They have not installed access points for the Smiler queue line
-Too many people connected to the system in a small area
-Everyone wanting to perform updates and over subscribing the wireless bandwidth or the Towers net connection
-The controllers/routers or LAN not powerful enough to support so many users on the system all trying to upload at the same time...

Anyone else experience this?
If you go down to the woods today
 
Bexbunce
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 9
Joined: December 2012

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:43 am

I understand the wifi might be a problem but seems your in alton towers why not come off your phone and enjoy your day. I like to go to alton towers to have fun and leave my everyday life behind. Maybe it's just me I don't know.
 
mattallennet
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 39
Joined: February 2013

The Smiler - Other Discussion

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Browsing really passes the time though....
 
User avatar
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 78
Joined: April 2013
Location: Not really sure....

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Oh god wifi, Alton should really restrict it. the amount of chavs that i have seen going round watching porn, some even shoving it in kids faces with their hands down there trousers wells track suits. ( yay! For England ;) ) it's vile. Unless they do an the idiots just use proxies I don't know but I wish in a way alton would be stricter on who they let in, it just your day seeing them vanderlising and smoking and who knows what.... I really hate my generation! :?
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
 
homer22422
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 95
Joined: August 2012

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:12 pm

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote:
Oh god wifi, Alton should really restrict it. the amount of chavs that i have seen going round watching porn, some even shoving it in kids faces with their hands down there trousers wells track suits. ( yay! For England ;) ) it's vile. Unless they do an the idiots just use proxies I don't know but I wish in a way alton would be stricter on who they let in, it just your day seeing them vanderlising and smoking and who knows what.... I really hate my generation! :?


I think they should not take down the wifi because all alton towers can put a filter for those kind of sites and stop they from being allowed in the park. It's a much simpler and customer friendly idea.
You can also ban the Chavs from entering the park XD <--- That was a joke (I wish it came true)
 
User avatar
George B
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 350
Joined: September 2012
Location: Why do you want to know?

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:08 pm

homer22422 wrote:
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote:
Oh god wifi, Alton should really restrict it. the amount of chavs that i have seen going round watching porn, some even shoving it in kids faces with their hands down there trousers wells track suits. ( yay! For England ;) ) it's vile. Unless they do an the idiots just use proxies I don't know but I wish in a way alton would be stricter on who they let in, it just your day seeing them vanderlising and smoking and who knows what.... I really hate my generation! :?


I think they should not take down the wifi because all alton towers can put a filter for those kind of sites and stop they from being allowed in the park. It's a much simpler and customer friendly idea.
You can also ban the Chavs from entering the park XD <--- That was a joke (I wish it came true)


I swear I have seen and heard some people that I just want to throw into Blivvys hole.
Image

Thanks to NemesisRider for the signature
 
User avatar
Instant Mix
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 162
Joined: March 2010

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:43 pm

If you have headphones, listen to this. The soundtrack was horrifying enough, but I decided to play around with it. I listened to this whilst walking down the riverside at night, and I was genuinely crapping myself. I can assure you that if you were the kind of person to take illegal substances, this might do some bad things to you. There is some scary loud bass in this if you have the right kind of headphones.
Link to "corrected" Smiler Music. Don't listen if you'd like to keep your sanity.
Image
 
DaveBear
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 15
Joined: May 2013
Location: Walsall

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 am

Bunster wrote:
homer22422 wrote:
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote:
Oh god wifi, Alton should really restrict it. the amount of chavs that i have seen going round watching porn, some even shoving it in kids faces with their hands down there trousers wells track suits. ( yay! For England ;) ) it's vile. Unless they do an the idiots just use proxies I don't know but I wish in a way alton would be stricter on who they let in, it just your day seeing them vanderlising and smoking and who knows what.... I really hate my generation! :?


I think they should not take down the wifi because all alton towers can put a filter for those kind of sites and stop they from being allowed in the park. It's a much simpler and customer friendly idea.
You can also ban the Chavs from entering the park XD <--- That was a joke (I wish it came true)


I swear I have seen and heard some people that I just want to throw into Blivvys hole.


Your joking ant ya?

The Hole ant that big and they could climb back up the track....

I say throw them under Alton Towers where the Nemesis Eggs are....... what you mean they ant real :oops:
 
User avatar
GK2B
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3
Joined: June 2013
Location: The Netherlands - Tilburg

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:43 pm

I love The Smiler's theme, and found an longer version on YouTube! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-JR3KSamrE

I'm going to visit Alton Towers in 2 months and i'm very excited!
Looks like an awesome rollercoaster!
 
getothing
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 64
Joined: November 2012
Location: españa

Re: The Smiler - Other Discussion

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:23 pm

GK2B wrote:
I love The Smiler's theme, and found an longer version on YouTube! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-JR3KSamrE

I'm going to visit Alton Towers in 2 months and i'm very excited!
Looks like an awesome rollercoaster!


Its a amazing coaster ,really big ,i think is one of the best coasters in the world
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
 
User avatar
Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 2878
Joined: December 2012
Location: Solihull

Time Lapse

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:48 pm

As we saw from the 'Blue Peter' footage of the smiler, we know there was a time lapse cam, but where is the footage? (sorry mods if this is the wrong time and/or place)
Last edited by Jack on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests