UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
schmatt
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 84
Joined: September 2012
Location: Redditch

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:27 pm

youarecorrectsir wrote:
You know I'm not so sure I mind the dirty concrete. I reckon if it was all clean it would take away from the ride! Almost like a disused forgotten hole - I think it adds to the ride experience and theming. Much like the fake (and real!) rust on Nemesis.

That's the thing though, its not meant to look run-down or disused. Its a high-tech military base used for secret experiments on the public. The area looks far better now with Oblivion repainted but it's still looking like an abandoned area, which the park defiantly has enough of with FV and DF. XS needs to be clean cut and sharp with nothing but a blade of grass out of place!
 
User avatar
clayj
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 247
Joined: October 2012
Location: Belfast but Newcastle originally

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:41 pm

As mentioned previously, there's enough dark over ridden and rust themed rides and areas in the park. I think a good clean up would look a treat... The could power wash sections through the day and rope areas off or do it I we night. Too be fair, it wouldn't take that long
Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ
 
User avatar
LaurenceColes
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 9
Joined: March 2013
Location: Bury St Edmunds

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:00 pm

clayj wrote:
As mentioned previously, there's enough dark over ridden and rust themed rides and areas in the park. I think a good clean up would look a treat... The could power wash sections through the day and rope areas off or do it I we night. Too be fair, it wouldn't take that long


If you got a few people with a jetwash each, I bet they could get round in no time. I mean you wouldn't need to cover every square inch (I understand that once you start one part of a surface you need to do the rest... lol) but like main theme elements and concrete areas like people have mentioned.

Tbh I think that AT will already have this planned for when the Smiler is completely finished! No point wasting time and money now when there is going to be dirt and all sorts floating round from the construction!  :P
 
rhino18
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 129
Joined: December 2012
Location: Leicester

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Nah, all they should be focusing on is to get the bloody thing open. :)
 
User avatar
Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 3287
Joined: March 2012
Location: Hastings

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 am

I feel the smiler has been alton's hardest project to work with. The construction is in plain sight it has a operating popular ride next to it MANY alterations were made due to the limestone found and height restrictions how do they cope!
Oblivion was ok as they could shut the area of and air was not really anywhere near nemesis, th13teen was mostly built in the trees out of sight, and nemesis also had much more fencing of! I said it before I will say it again how do they cope!
Image
Image
Image
 
rhino18
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 129
Joined: December 2012
Location: Leicester

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:28 am

^Not really, it's just because of the weather and perhaps the length of the track, although they had originally started when they were supposed to. Remember Thirteen's construction was delayed, because of the council getting all iffy with the iron age burial mound there. Oblivion's construction was primarily the MASSIVE tunnel they had to dig, which also had problems such as rainwater in the tunnel. Nemesis' construction was fairly simple as the pit was already dug, before construction started, due to the fact Nemesis was originally supposed to be an Arrow pipeline prototype. Air was easy in construction because only a little landscaping was neede (to make the paths and shop). Air's problems came about during its first couple of seasons, due to the amount of new technology.

I don't really see how having constuction in plain sight would make it harder. Wouldn't it be easier with no trees and stuff to work around?
 
User avatar
Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin
Posts: 1920
Joined: March 2003
Location: London
Contact:

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:57 pm

I heard that the drop zone was actually power washed. Doesn't look like there's any green moss build up any more from years of damp steam..
Image
 
User avatar
Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 3287
Joined: March 2012
Location: Hastings

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:45 pm

rhino18 wrote:
^Not really, it's just because of the weather and perhaps the length of the track, although they had originally started when they were supposed to. Remember Thirteen's construction was delayed, because of the council getting all iffy with the iron age burial mound there. Oblivion's construction was primarily the MASSIVE tunnel they had to dig, which also had problems such as rainwater in the tunnel. Nemesis' construction was fairly simple as the pit was already dug, before construction started, due to the fact Nemesis was originally supposed to be an Arrow pipeline prototype. Air was easy in construction because only a little landscaping was neede (to make the paths and shop). Air's problems came about during its first couple of seasons, due to the amount of new technology.

I don't really see how having constuction in plain sight would make it harder. Wouldn't it be easier with no trees and stuff to work around?

I said nothing about wether? I'm just stating because some of the main attractions are in the area they have troublesome enthusiasts around it along with the limestone found hitting oblivious footers and having to build the 'unexpected' pit also placing a footer wrong
Image
Image
Image
 
rhino18
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 129
Joined: December 2012
Location: Leicester

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:33 pm

^You didn't say anything about the weather. That's why I stated it in my original post. And I know that there was a problem with limestone and hitting a footer, but I was just explaining about how the other rides had their own problems during construction. For example, Thirteen was built cutting through relatively dense woodland. And only 1 of the main attractions is in the Smiler's area, really. One more thing, how the hell would enthusiasts, not even in the construction site, make construction harder?
 
User avatar
Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 3287
Joined: March 2012
Location: Hastings

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:40 pm

rhino18 wrote:
^You didn't say anything about the weather. That's why I stated it in my original post. And I know that there was a problem with limestone and hitting a footer, but I was just explaining about how the other rides had their own problems during construction. For example, Thirteen was built cutting through relatively dense woodland. And only 1 of the main attractions is in the Smiler's area, really. One more thing, how the hell would enthusiasts, not even in the construction site, make construction harder?

Well I respect your point I just feel it has been alton's most,most,erm...challenging coaster because its had the most problems hit.i hope you at least slightly agree :D
Image
Image
Image
 
rhino18
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 129
Joined: December 2012
Location: Leicester

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:17 pm

I do agree, just on different objectives, if that makes any sense! :)
 
User avatar
schmatt
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 84
Joined: September 2012
Location: Redditch

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Out of curiosity has submission been running both arms at all this season?
I doubt it's been busy enough for them to justify it yet but one can hope.
 
User avatar
Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Posts: 3287
Joined: March 2012
Location: Hastings

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:25 am

schmatt wrote:
Out of curiosity has submission been running both arms at all this season?
I doubt it's been busy enough for them to justify it yet but one can hope.

Nope

I would love to experience the other one though
Image
Image
Image
 
sully1311
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 108
Joined: July 2010

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 pm

schmatt wrote:
Out of curiosity has submission been running both arms at all this season?
I doubt it's been busy enough for them to justify it yet but one can hope.


Was there today. One arm still. Plus it still sounds like there are plenty of stones in the casing!
 
meames
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 175
Joined: September 2004
Location: South Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:05 pm

sully1311 wrote:
Was there today. One arm still. Plus it still sounds like there are plenty of stones in the casing!


Its not stones in there, its fragments of steel and other debris from when it was manufactured - you often find it with many things, they punch a steel hole into the frame to mount cabling etc and it just falls inside where they can't get to it any more........you often hear it on busses if they brake really hard in the railings.
 
User avatar
MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 248
Joined: May 2012
Location: West Bromwich

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:34 pm

Don't know if this has been brought up, has oblivion had all new restraints? Are they actually orange again?
Image
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
 
Sam198
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1126
Joined: October 2012

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Don't know if this has been brought up, has oblivion had all new restraints? Are they actually orange again?


They were phasing the old ones out throughout last season, so yes.
 
User avatar
Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 828
Joined: February 2012
Location: Leeds

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Sam198 wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote:
Don't know if this has been brought up, has oblivion had all new restraints? Are they actually orange again?


They were phasing the old ones out throughout last season, so yes.


Not quite... Some trains havn't been touched and there are 2 stripped in maintainance ATM.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
 
sully1311
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 108
Joined: July 2010

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:16 am

Was there Wednesday. Still some old ones going around.
 
User avatar
Hari
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 136
Joined: May 2010
Location: Under the Marmaliser (A.K.A - Hertfordshire!)

Re: X Sector Refurbishment

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:33 am

I hope Oblivion becomes floor less like SheiKra in Busch Gardens did :)
Image
NR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests