UK theme parks from another point of view!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Land of the Tiger - 2018

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:29 pm

A recently published article provides a little more information about the new area:

Chessington World of Adventures Resort is extremely ‘paw-leased’ to announce NEW multi-million pound Land of the Tiger, featuring an innovative enclosure and Europe’s first overhead trails, all set to welcome a family of four endangered Amur Tigers in spring 2018.

The foursome – currently living in Sweden – will soon be making the big move to Land of the Tiger at the Surrey Resort, where their new specially designed home awaits that will allow the world’s largest tiger species freedom to roam with a cat’s-eye view of the whole Land. With the introduction of Europe’s first overhead trails, guests will also get to observe these majestic animals in a whole new way - right above their heads.

Guests will be able to wander underneath the Amur Tigers as they explore Land of the Tiger, before making a splash at Tiger Rock – the exhilarating log flume in the Land - and join experienced Carnivore Keepers for mesmerising tiger experiences.  

Eighteen months of meticulous planning and preparation have helped to ensure Land of the Tiger is fit for the four felines. The Zoo’s Carnivore Keepers have been working closely with experts to design a custom-built space for the big cats to thrive in, and comprises the largest investment in the Resort’s Zoo in five years.  

Russell Bowes, Zoo Operations Director at Chessington World of Adventures Resort, said of the upcoming arrival: "This is huge news for us here – we've been working tirelessly to make sure our tiger quartet will settle in perfectly to their new home and we can’t wait to welcome Olga, Tsar, Kalinka and Kyra to Chessington.

“With three trails connecting three habitats, this is the first enclosure of its kind in Europe, giving the foursome - who, like domestic cats, enjoy surveying their surroundings from up high - the opportunity to roam and explore as they would naturally.”

The introduction of the tigers is also pivotal to Chessington World of Adventures Resort's Learn Your Stripes initiative, which aims to educate guests about the endangered Amur Tiger in an on-going series of activities and events. All while raising funds for the Chessington Conservation Fund (CCF), to help protect tigers in the wild – more exciting details to be revealed in due course.

Land of the Tiger launches at Chessington World of Adventures Resort in spring 2018 and will be accompanied by four new tiger-themed rooms in the Chessington Safari Hotel.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 pm

As reported by SouthParks News; Chessington World of Adventures Resort have confirmed that Tiger Rock is due to open on Saturday 5th May and the Resort’s newest arrivals will be introduced to the public for the first time.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:09 am

I hope the level of theming in that concept art is represented on the actual ride area, same with the planning app theming levels, This is actually shaping up to be a really good investment for the park!
[Insert Signature Here]

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:33 am

While this looks like a nice enough investment, I think I’d rather Kolmarden sent us a certain RMC than the tigers ;)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:21 pm

Excuse the double post, however this photo has been posted in the MAP Facebook group, providing a partial look at the current construction progress. It seems the focus has been on installing the enclosure infrastructure, with no visible signs of vertical construction for the theming element at the bottom of the final drop.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Chessington has uploaded a sneak peek of Tiger Rock's overhead trails.

This #TigerTuesday we’re giving you a sneak peek of the artist impressions of what our European first overhead trails will look like… 
#TigersRock[

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:57 pm

They look really nice, its good to see that they are adding theiming to them! I imagine all the new features will look pretty good once finished! :)

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:00 pm

Just a little spot, but I appreciate how Merlin change park logos to suit a particular area. I particularly like this Land of Tiger Chessington Logo!
Formally Smiler313

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:06 pm

I have to admit, I’m really looking forward to seeing Land of the Tiger when it’s finished. Those overhead trails, while not completely necessary, will add something to the overall look, and feel, of the area.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Earlier on, Chessington uploaded the first instalment in a series of videos that will provide an insight into the preparation for Land of the Tiger and Tiger Rock. As well as giving a look at the latest construction progress, this video also features short interviews with some of the staff involved in the project.

It is actually quite a nice update video, and I look forward to seeing more, especially once the main rock-work feature starts to take shape.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Chessington have shared this sneak peek of their "Chinese inspired theming" in Land of the Tiger on social media.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 pm

It makes me wonder if this is the theming for Tiger Rock's station building? It looks like the station layout.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Yes, you can see where the stairs come down on the left at the bottom, and the fence for the batching area.

Here's what it looked like before:

Credit: http://themeuk.net

..and before that was a huge hand painted mural of Asia - was beautiful but quickly looked dated. Can't find a photo unfortunately.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:53 am

The new station looks great, This was my only concern when I heard Dragon Falls was getting rethemed. 

It's a worthy replacement, I hope Chessington keep up this level of theming seen on The Gruffalo and Tiger Rock! 
[Insert Signature Here]

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Chessington have posted a new video on their Facebook page confirming that their 4 new tigers have safely completed the journey to their new home.

Adventurers, here is Oli's final update. Our tigers arrived safely at Chessington this morning! Tsar, Olga, Kyra and Kalinka are bedding into their new home and exploring their new environment. You’ll all get to see them come May 5, but we will be sure to keep you updated on all things tiger until then... #TigersRock

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Some photos of the latest construction progress on Tiger have been posted on SouthParks Facebook, with a lot of the main steel framework for the tiger head rockwork now installed.

It's also worth noting that Chessington updated the Land of the Tiger section of their website in the week. While there's nothing particularly new, there is the following description of Tiger Rock which seems provide a bit more insight into the ride experience:

Board a boat from the tiger temple, for an adventurous ride and get to see one of the world’s most majestic animals from the waterway, before your journey takes an exciting turn.

Swirling lights light your path as you travel through a long undiscovered sacred shrine to encounter the tiger’s elusive spirit and hear the animal’s infamous roar.

The riverboat journey’s finale sees you climb to the summit of Tiger Rock, before plunging the 15 metre tall misty waterfall drop, right through the centre of the giant tiger’s head carved rock. Said to have magical properties, Tiger Rock passes the spirit of the tiger on to those who descend the fall.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Chessington have posted a concept image of their new tiger rooms on social media.

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Is it just me that always wants to pick up the things printed on the carpet because it looks a mess :lol

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:22 am

Merlin hotel rooms with the printed carpet and walls can look quite cluttered / in your face. First noticed this with the Moon Voyager rooms at ATR

Guess it's what makes them different though!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Land of the Tiger - New for 2018

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:35 pm

The other week, Studio FortyThree posted some images from the Tiger Rock construction at Chessington World of Adventures. Their website also includes a "Cleaned up 3D scan of original concept model with additional detail sculpting."