UK theme parks from another point of view!

Nick

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:37 pm

"on air" wrote:
Has the Alton Hotel got Air con in ther rooms yet ?

Nope.

I think Alton's rooms really need an update. Especially the toilets in the Alton Towers hotel. The ones at Chessington were really nice, modern and fresh, just what the ATH ones in each room need to be.

AstroDan

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:44 pm

The Holiday Inn was very nice indeed from what I saw, although it was a bit too 'executive' for a theme park, in my view. It was exceptionally spacious and modern and the rooms very nice, but again wasn't really very theme-park-y. The restaurant was very expensive, more than Alton Towers - although the food probably is nicer. The hotel looks great from the outside too.

The rooms were more reasonable than Towers, but again it's just a posh hotel at Chessington rather than a fully themed hotel which i would rather have.

All in all, a lovely hotel but not really what i'd like as a theme park hotel.

aru
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:08 pm

Any pictures about on the net?

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:22 pm

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:29 pm

Wow. It may not be overly theme park-ish for either way it looks terrific! Very posh!

I don't get it though? Does Chessington have big future plans or something - I can't for the life of me think why such a limited theme park would warrant such an extravagent and expensive hotel?
Last edited by Sir John Talbot on Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:32 pm

I'm guessing they just want adults to go the whole weekend with their kids. Maybe they want (bad :P) parents to take their kids out of school by going to the park Sunday and staying an extra day as queues are long on most weekends and summer hols as it's a kiddie park so term time, it's dead.

:)

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

Nick

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:32 pm

Pretty much any Theme Park has plans for the future. They would all dig themselves into the ground if they didn't have anything planned

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:35 pm

"Nick" wrote:
Pretty much any Theme Park has plans for the future. They would all dig themselves into the ground if they didn't have anything planned

Well... yes, but a hotel that exceeds the hotels (quality, and presumably price wise) at the UK's most developed/biggest theme park?

I guess it's just 'jumping on the bandwagon', with Thorpe and Drayton on the list to recieve hotels in the future too.

Still, very nice, you'd think it would be a part of a very big thorough development plan.

AstroDan

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Thing is, the hotel didn't feel very family in my estimation. It was a fantastic standard, but it was far from family?

:?

Gashead
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:08 pm

Copied from my report in the mmet up topic.

Chessington Hotel, again what a brillaint hotel, I cant speak highly enough of just how classy and smart it is. The bedrooms were so roomy, really well decorated. The bathroom was fantastic, so so smart. The beds were probably the most comfiest Ive ever slepted in and the air con was a treat it the hot weather. The family room where the kids beds (I emphise kids as litteraly thats what they were!) we sort of off set from the rest of the room was also good as it provdied a sort of privacy.

The bar down stairs was also very smart, you can tell its such a upmarket classy hotel from the decor (and the food menu, which when me and Chris-TT looked down on it the food looked and smelt GORGEOUS )

The only thing I will say, Is that for me, I didnt provide a sort of magical feeling like the Towers hotels do, Cant really put my finger on it. I'd agree with Astrodan that the hotel isnt really designed as such for familys though however it caters for them well with a kids room (Nicknames Worthos play den) in the bar area which is perfect for parents and people who dont like kids running around during a quite drink.

If I go to chessington anytime soon again, I shall be staying there!

geraintl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:39 am

does anyone know if you get an discount at all with your annual pass or any bonuses as i remember seeing somewhere when it first opened you got a free bottle of wine and a fruit basket with annual pass?

Nick

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:41 am

Nope, not even at the bar

TenZero
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:36 pm

"geraintl" wrote:
does anyone know if you get an discount at all with your annual pass or any bonuses as i remember seeing somewhere when it first opened you got a free bottle of wine and a fruit basket with annual pass?

Yep, but the offer has ended now:

Book a room by 31st August and receive a complimentary upgrade to an Executive room, with fruit basket and bottle of wine.

• Subject to availability of Executive room
• Must be booked by 31st July 2007, and stay taken by 31st December
• Wine offered is house wine – choice of red or white

However this offer is still on:

Dine in the Langata Brasserie & Grill (in the hotel), and receive a complimentary bottle of wine

• Subject to availability – quote offer when booking
• Offer expires 31st December 07
• Min 2 adults dining, purchasing a 3 course dinner

davewazere
TT Member
TT Member

chessington hotel

Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:48 pm

I am thinking about taking my 4 yr old son and gf to chessington for his birthday and I want to stay over at the hotel there. I know the hotel is a holiday inn but that's all the info I cand find.

I would like to know a few things: can you use your merlin annual pass for a 20% discount, what entertainment do they have on site, what restaurants do they have on site and can you use your pass in them. What the hotel is like to stay in.

I'm trying to compare it to staying at alton towers in one of there great hotels.

I would love to hear some reviews on this hotel and wether its worth staying here or just finding a local hotel.

During our stay I'm hoping to also go to legoland.

Cheers for your help

Dave

Post made via Mobile Device

Darren
TT Member
TT Member

Re: chessington hotel

Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:23 pm

With a Merlin Annual Pass, you can get a 75% discount on rooms but I think it has to be within certain dates. It is a great deal though if you manage to get it. As far as I know, entertainment is minimal as the hotel comes across very contemporary and business-like. The rooms are nice and the theming is good although it isn't the most family-friendly hotel in my opinion but nice to stay in. They do have a restaurant but again, is very contemporary and over-priced.
There is a Premier Inn next to the park which has a Beefeater restaurant.
If you can get the deal with your pass, I do reccomend the Safari Lodge but maybe eat in the park or in the Beefeater which is a 5 minute walk away. The hotel isn't like Alton's which are very family orientated, it seems more aimed at business people in my opinion.

AstroDan

Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:19 pm

Monkey Puzzle Beefeater is good for eating at, as stated above - only 5 mins walk from the Holiday Inn and cheaper. However, you get 20% off all food and drink at the hotel.

At weekends, and possibly some weekdays, you also get Early Ride Time if you have pre-booked tickets or Annual Passes! Meet at 9:10am PROMPT in the hotel foyer and you get taken to the park for some ERT before the park opens at 10:00am. When I went the other week, it included Vampire, Rattlesnake, Bubbleworks and more.

A lovely hotel, if a little contemporary for families.

davewazere
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:35 pm

Cheers for all the help...I've just been looking at prices and chessington hotel is 350 (without ap discount) and the travel lodge mentioned above is only 29 per night (I'm going for 2 nites in august)

What is the parking like at the travel lodge? On the website it doesn't look that good. I'm going to do a bit more research in regards to parking and facilities in area when I get home...its difficult doing it on a phone while at work.

Can you still get ert if you don't stay at the hotel?

Cheers

Dave

Just realised I got the hotel mixed...I'm gonna look at the premier inn now ha ha
Post made via Mobile Device
Last edited by davewazere on Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstroDan

Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:42 pm

You can't get ERT if you don't stay. The Holiday Inn shouldn't be THAT expensive when booked in advance.

:shock:

Crofty

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:05 am

I expect that was the price for Two nights Dan.

It's a nice hotel, I was considering it on the way home from the Airport the other week but I remembered my stay there and there was nothing for Kids to do. Children are left to play about on the grass out the back while the parents get sloshed on overpriced booze in the bar.
The steaks weren't much good either if I remember.
Rooms are very nice but they really need to add something to do between park close and bed time.

:D :D

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:05 pm

We booked for 4 nights in August not so long ago, using the AP discount we paid £52.25 per night, which we don't have to pay till arrival 8)