Share your thought's on one of the UK's leading family parks here.

User

AstroDan

Chessington - Safari & Azteca Hotel Discussion

by AstroDan » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:37 pm

The original thread for this appears to have vanished, so here goes!

This months 'Group Leisure' Magazine, which my family receives every month, has a short article on the new hotel at Chessington which gives us some more information on the project:
The Tussauds Group has announced that a £15million, four-star, 150-room Holiday Inn will be built adjacent to the group's Chessington World of Adventures theme park in Surrey.

The Hotel is due to open in June and will be slightly different from regular Holiday Inn hotels. Located in the centre of the theme park's planned animal land development, safari style touches will add a little fun to the theme park hotel. It will not just be the decor which will be significantly different, each of the rooms will be larger than the chain's average rooms, with a host of other additions and facilities available, including health and leisure facilities, a restaurant and bar as well as meeting and function rooms.

For groups thinking of visiting the park, the new hotel will be the ideal location for visiting the theme park. Managing director of Tussauds' Theme Parks, Bruce McKendrick said 'This is a very exciting project for the Tussauds Group underlining our strategic commitment to developing our theme park attractions as short break destinations'

TT Member
User

haydn!

by haydn! » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:13 pm

"Dara" wrote:AT's hotels are run by "Tussauds hotels Limited" They are a division of the tussauds group aren't they. I'd imagine chessington will be the same.

I thought it was Alton Towers Hotels Ltd? ...and the Chessington Hotel will be owned by Tussuads, but operated by Holiday Inn.
TT Member
User

Sir John Talbot

by Sir John Talbot » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:00 pm

4 Star, for a vaguely themed Holiday Inn :?. I doubt it somehow.

Still, a nice addition for Chessington, nice to see them becoming ambitious and hopefully some actual attractions will follow.. hopefully this Topple Tower will materialise.

TT Member
User

Redcoat Jase

by Redcoat Jase » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:02 pm

I'm slightly Confused...

Is it Actually a branded Holiday Inn Hotel on park, or a Holiday Inn-style Hotel run by Tussauds Hotels Ltd. ? :?
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum

User

Crofty

by Crofty » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:43 pm

"Redcoat Jase" wrote:I'm slightly Confused...

Is it Actually a branded Holiday Inn Hotel on park, or a Holiday Inn-style Hotel run by Tussauds Hotels Ltd. ? :?

I was unsure of that too but after a little scout around I found this.

The link with Holiday Inn will open up great opportunities for us to benefit from their established marketing and promotional activities to build this important additional business; as well as our more established leisure packages.

Could be a good thing, may bring some tempting offers.

:D :D

TT Member
User

Redcoat Jase

by Redcoat Jase » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm

"Crofty""][quote=""Redcoat Jase" wrote:I'm slightly Confused...

I was unsure of that too but after a little scout around I found this.
[/quote]

Dear Lord, I hope Tussauds don't sell of the Alton Towers Hotels to Holiday Inn, like they have done PicSolve and HB Leisure...

Would've thought seen as it's DIC, it would be a Travelodge :?
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum

User

AstroDan

by AstroDan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:21 pm

"Sir John Talbot" wrote:4 Star, for a vaguely themed Holiday Inn :?. I doubt it somehow.

Still, a nice addition for Chessington, nice to see them becoming ambitious and hopefully some actual attractions will follow.. hopefully this Topple Tower will materialise.

If you read the article, you will see it has larger rooms and more facilities than a standard Holiday Inn. Also, a hotel does not need to be themed to be of four star standard. If it has good facilities then it will get a four star rating.
TT Member
User

kingjohno

by kingjohno » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:47 pm

I've never had a problem with Holiday Inn to be honest. Clean rooms, good service. Surely if the management/cleanign etc. was given to them Tussauds could spend more money on stuff that mattered like entertainment, additions like the golf etc.?

TT Member
User

iriderides101

by iriderides101 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:19 pm

Well holiday in is great ive been in loads for san francisco to grand canyon to machester. Never had a problem. Still don't understand why the park hasn't bother to operate it with that tussauds hotel company

User

Crofty

by Crofty » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:42 pm

"iriderides101" wrote: Still don't understand why the park hasn't bother to operate it with that tussauds hotel company

It's probably just to cut costs and make maximum profit from little or no effort :D

Just to add I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express the night I had to book a room on my way home from Alton in December. It was very nice for the money and the staff were very helpful. Furthermore Tesco workers get up to 25% of holiday Inn atm, hope its still the case in the summer :)

:D :D

User

sammie04

by sammie04 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:57 pm

I've never actually stayed in a Holiday Inn but I've heard it is quite a good hotel and the rooms are clean etc. I think the new hotel sounds quite nice and the safari decor will make it an exciting stay for children.

Yes I think though for the leisure facilities it will just be a small pool and probarlay a sauna too. I look forward to seeing this hotel when its done and may consider staying in the future :) .

User

AstroDan

by AstroDan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:00 am

Question is.... Chessington's or Thorpe's Hotel? And will either of them be better than Alton's hotels?

Of course, we know the ATH can look shabby at times, mainly due to its age and the lack of care (take note on some of the dated bathrooms) but there's no denying that in general they are pretty well run places.

TT Member
User

iriderides101

by iriderides101 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:25 am

Well althought thorpe want a hotel plans change. I'm guesing that thorpes is in a way going to be franchised off to probably holiday inn. It probably won't be themed well if you say waterside is themeing which it isn't. At the end of the day the hotels are there for the park to make money and make the parks look bigger with hotels

TT Member
User

Matt 125

by Matt 125 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:47 am

I can see this hotel being quite cool. They can hopefully pull off the Safari theme and if they do it should look really good. I think that the Chessie Hotel will appeal more to families and Thorpe all round with a few chavs thrown in! :roll:

Matt :D

User

AstroDan

by AstroDan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:39 pm

Actually, the idea of a Holiday Inn at Thorpe now seems highly likely. The two hotels are going to be fairly close together, and could operate as a kind of sister brand.

It will probably help Tussauds market both parks together! Choose Thorpe or Chessington's hotel, and get a day at both parks?

I look forward to the successful completion of this project. If the rates are reasonable, I shall certainly look at staying there.

However, with it being franchised to Holiday Inn - will we see 20% discounts like we do for Alton Towers Hotels?

User

Nick

Chessington - Hotel Discussion

by Nick » Wed May 23, 2007 10:31 pm

Chessington have now finished their 4 star Safari hotel which opend next month, rooms will be £109 a night.

* 150 air conditioned bedrooms – standard and executive
* 56 Family Rooms
* Accessible Rooms
* Marula Bar and Lounge
* Langata Brasserie and Grill
* On site parking for up to 120 cars
* Leisure facilities which include an 18m swimming pool and spa
* Conference Centre including 6 meeting rooms

The interior does look very impressive. Would be a perfect hotel for a long weekend at Thorpe, Chessington and a day in Central London.

Chessington Holiday Inn

TT Member
User

Thomas

by Thomas » Wed May 23, 2007 10:58 pm

Looks nice & welcoming but what i don't get(may have been answered somewhere in the past but i cant remember) why have the Holiday Inn brand? Alton haven't got the name in use so why Chessy?

User

Nick

by Nick » Wed May 23, 2007 10:58 pm

Probably because they wanted an external company to run the hotel

TT Member
User

Thomas

by Thomas » Wed May 23, 2007 11:02 pm

Suppose so, but would have been nice if they could have had there own hotel run by themselves.

I'm hoping the Holiday Inn name is as minimal as possible.

User

AstroDan

by AstroDan » Wed May 23, 2007 11:03 pm

Daylight Robbery!

Just got a quote for 3 adults in mid-July. Firstly, the prices shown do not include VAT - and then for each adult over 2 you pay an extra £25 per person. Not only that, breakfast is not included on the basic rate!

:shock:
Next