UK theme parks from another point of view!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: Chessington - General Discussion

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Big new update from UK Theme Parks - Theme UK today.

Firstly, the area once occupied by the carrousel is empty and I personally think it looks a bit strange!

It also seems that Madagascar is completely gone from the resort and a retheme for Africa could be on the cards with the penguins show being replaced with a Gruffalo theme show and Berry Bouncers seemingly getting a rebrand as well...

Pirates Cove seems to be the next area to get some TLC, with the fishing huts being repainted along with the Black Buccaneer and Sea Storm!

Finally by far and away the most important addition to Chessington in the last 4 years...

Nitrogenie!

This can be found opposite Dragons Fury!

It seems we will be seeing a few changes to Chessington in 2017, and I am personally very excited for this season!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:13 pm

Nice update, the Carousel spot really does look odd! :)

Looking into it, the Berry Bouncers (or retheme: the ride as it may as well be known by now), has the "Jungle Bouncers" (2012-14) queue entrance sign on it, so I would expect it to be called that for this season. The Photobomb booth still has the Madagascar theming on it, hopefully that changes into something, perhaps the Gruffalo as well? It's a shame to see Madagascar leave the park so soon, especially as the beloved Toytown was sacrificed for it, but hey, in with the out and in with the new.

Glad Pirates Cove is getting some TLC ... it was easily the area most in need of it, although isn't Seastorm currently open? Has the TLC already been done here or will it happen after half term, if at all?

Nitrogenie was only a matter of time. I love these stands, but I'm personally getting a bit sick of Merlin putting them where they don't really fit to be honest! Will this mean the removal/relocation of the well-themed ice cream van just 50m down the path towards the rest of Land of the Dragons?

Roll on the new season!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:26 pm

Burniel wrote:
Nice update, the Carousel spot really does look odd! :)

Looking into it, the Berry Bouncers (or retheme: the ride as it may as well be known by now), has the "Jungle Bouncers" (2012-14) queue entrance sign on it, so I would expect it to be called that for this season. The Photobomb booth still has the Madagascar theming on it, hopefully that changes into something, perhaps the Gruffalo as well? It's a shame to see Madagascar leave the park so soon, especially as the beloved Toytown was sacrificed for it, but hey, in with the out and in with the new.

Glad Pirates Cove is getting some TLC ... it was easily the area most in need of it, although isn't Seastorm currently open? Has the TLC already been done here or will it happen after half term, if at all?

The new show is anticipated to be a Gruffalo show, and so there's also been whispers of the area being rethemed into a new Gruffalo centric area meaning we could see a retheme (remember they still have a month left and it wouldn't be too hard to change). I personally think this might be the fate of this area for years to come, having the show dictate a temporary theme for a few years.

Sea Storm has had its TLc yes, the rock work is now light as opposed to the previous dark colour :)

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Owen wrote:
The new show is anticipated to be a Gruffalo show, and so there's also been whispers of the area being rethemed into a new Gruffalo centric area meaning we could see a retheme (remember they still have a month left and it wouldn't be too hard to change). I personally think this might be the fate of this area for years to come, having the show dictate a temporary theme for a few years.

Perhaps in the long term. It would definitely work, but I'm not sure why they would have dragged out the old Jungle Bouncers sign if it wasn't going to be used at least temporarily. I guess we might see a Gruffalo show for now and then maybe an area re-theme come 2018. I wonder what they'd do with Toadies - leave it awkwardly as it is, a la Madagascar?

I'm personally not too sure about having the same IP featuring in multiple areas, especially if it's going to dominate one area, but right now I'll welcome anything that lasts longer than three seasons! :P

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:04 am

As much as I like Nitrogenie, that shipping container looks awful. I'm sure it will be playing tacky music as well, and clash with the themed area soundtrack like the one at Thorpe does.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:07 pm

Burniel wrote:
I'm not sure why they would have dragged out the old Jungle Bouncers sign if it wasn't going to be used at least temporarily.

I see what you mean now, I've just clicked that they were called Treetop Hoppers for awhile :lol

Like I say it could easily go either way and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a "Gruffalo Place" or something similar just as much as I wouldn't be surprised to see Africa stay as a very random area.

In regards to Nitrogenie, I think that's what we should just expect now. The brand is a quick popular choice that can be thrown in with no real effort and make a tonne of money. Its not ideal but I'd rather see money put into existing areas rather than an ice cream stand :lol

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Yeah, Merlin just don't integrate some of their brands in to the parks so they stick out like a sore thumb.

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:38 pm

It is a shame Merlin can't make more effort and theme their new food outlets as I agree the Nitrogenie ones look out of place with the surrounding areas (apart from the one at AT).

I'm sure it wouldn't take too much for some theming to be added but I guess Merlin like their shipping containers still :D

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:16 pm

I love how in your face and loud the Nitrogenie shipping containers are, But at the same time they do stick out a bit too much and I do totally agree that they need to make it fit areas better. But Yay! to Chessington getting one. 'Bout time. It really feels that Chessington are trying to make an effort this year which is so good to see. It is a nice park and deserves the updates as it was starting to look a bit tatty in places.

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:26 pm

I'm really happy that Nitrogenie has been added to Chessington, on the one hand it's cool that they are sticking on brand (maybe this was one of the conditions of putting it in elsewhere?) but I do wish that it was themed to the area, the one in Thorpe looks ridiculous. I wonder if the service will be any quicker than the existing f&b huts because its shocking usually.

I'm actually quite sad that the Madagascar show is no more, I did love me some Cheesey Dibbles :lol

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:23 am

I hope they make the bottom section of Nitrogenie look a bit better as it currently looks like a bodge job.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:30 pm

MTFX employees Tom and Mark have been servicing Scorpion Express's "Big Flame Effect" installed by them, and it looks great!

Credit to MTFX Facebook for the image.

Doddy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi does anyone know how busy it will be on March the 23rd? I think I'm just missing the half term holidays but I'm not sure.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Doddy wrote:
Hi does anyone know how busy it will be on March the 23rd? I think I'm just missing the half term holidays but I'm not sure.

You are, they start on the weekend of Saturday 1st April.

Random Thursday in March, you're looking at very low queues. It'll still be soon after opening day, but I wouldn't expect anything past 15-20 minutes to be honest. :)

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:54 pm

A nice new update from UK Theme Parks - Theme UK, clouding the new name of Market Square and Transylvania!

The compass has been updated once again!

In 2017 you will be walking into Adventure Point as opposed to Market Square!

Here's the new Adventure Point logo!

It is also expected Chessington will receive 2 Nitrogenies this year, one in Adventure Point in the old Hot Dog stand and the shipping container outside Wild Asia.

Wild Woods has now got some sinage too!

The arrows have also been updated.

Gruffalo has also moved along well, and is that a 3D Gruffalo set piece I see?

Finally Sea Storm has had some great improvements as well as the refurbishment for Creepy Caves being finished - also expected to have a rename or new logo!

Full Update Here.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:23 am

From theme park guide live, here's a look at the tree more or less complete - it looks good!

Here's some images from Wild Woods.

Vampire also has new queue theming and audio.

Last edited by Owen on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:32 am

And another of the Adventure Tree from TTSP Instagram ;) It is actually looking quite nice, although perhaps won't be ready in time for the start of the season on the 17th.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:51 am

Vampire has got new staton theming, a new sounds system and new airgates!

There are also new gates at the exit to prevent people waiting here.

The lighting also seems much nicer...

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:47 pm

I believe dragons falls has now got a single rider line

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:54 pm

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:
I believe dragons falls has now got a single rider line

Yes it has. I believe Kobra also now has SRQ. Dragon's Fury has also had its SRQ re-worked so it's better. Oh and Zufari also now has SRQ I think.
Ride count 2017: 224!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 735!
Cred count: 65!

Thanks to NemesisRider for the awesome signature!