UK theme parks from another point of view!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: Chessington - General Discussion

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:10 pm

Although I agree with BenBowser that it's not because of the tree being a risk to children but rather the other way around I do think it's quite a silly move. The expectation of theming in any theme park (let alone one targeted at families with young children) is that the theming is made to take some knocks. You should expect children to kick and climb it and so they should design it to accommodate that. It's really quite terrible and seems to be the latest of a line of terrible decisions by park management, not even a nice sand brown paint?

There's really no excuses for the colour, they're rapidly declining from one of the best themed Merlin parks to one of the worst. Come on Chessington :no:

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2016 4:57 pm

After being down for the best part of a month, Black Buccaneer has finally reopened.

118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 23, 2016 11:42 pm

I didn't take a picture but they replaced the fencing around the tree with fencing that fits the area, ie a themed wooden fence. It looks a lot better now.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat May 28, 2016 2:22 pm

Dan wrote:
It appears that Merlins obsession with unnecessary fencing has reached Chessington with the following image that has been posted on TPR today:

Not only is this fence completely unnecessary, they haven't even bothered to try and theme it to Wild Asia. It just sticks out like a sore thumb.

From what I've read about Chessington over the past few weeks I'm definitely not in a hurry to rush back any time soon.

Good news!

Chessington Buzz have posted this photo showing that the fence has been replaced!
Definitely an improvement!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Now that is a nice fence, especially with the seats. Seriously

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 28, 2016 11:10 pm

It's a good fence, but still far worse than no fence at all ...

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 29, 2016 12:56 am

Just behind Vampire is a little walkway. Towards the end of it lies a large gate for behind the scenes areas, and when looking through it yesterday, I discovered a very unusual item:
A giant Gorilla head. I have a feeling it's going in Trail of the Kings?

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Scratch that, it's actually from an old photo shoot apparently :P

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:32 pm

More disappointment at Chessington as Peeking Heights has had its theming removed. This is believed to be due to age and damage to the theming.

Photo credit to UK Theme Parks.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:24 pm

Oh dear! This must be recent, as I don't remember it like that last Friday (although maybe I wasn't observant).

Just because theming's in a bad state, that doesn't mean you should just tear it down as if it were never there! I hope we see scenery added to the ride soon, but maybe that "soon" will be the same "soon" as when Dragon Falls lost its theming ...

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:37 pm

Yes, the theming had corroded so it's been taken down and dumped in the Explorer Gate drop-off point :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:24 pm

Seems CWOA has recieved a conservation award:

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/hundred ... 4068466884
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued almost 30,000 animals in need!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Looks like ex-Footballer Marcus Bent was arrested at Chessington for cocaine possession.

Source
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Savva0122
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:56 pm

1st visit to Chessington on Friday.

Overall we had a great day. Enjoyed the first two rides we did best (Vampire and Bubbleworks). A bit frustrated we were there for the rope drop and at the front of the queue for Vampire but they didn't open the ride until 10.30

As we are a young family now no major thrill rides for me, eg Rattlesnake, but we enjoyed the other kiddies rides we did. Not too struck on either of the shows, Penguins was the better of the two, was quite underwhelmed by Pandamoum.

With no benchmark, we quite enjoyed Tomb Blaster, but I noticed the negative comments variously over the Web.

A bit disappointed with Scorpion Express (didnt enjoy it as much as Runawat Mine Train) at AT, but we did three cycles which previous riders didn't have so that was a nice bonus.
Didn't think that either CWOA or Legoland were as organised or held the numbers as well as AT, even with 6 ride closures.

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:52 am

Is there any early or late ride time for annual pass holders at Chessington these days?

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:21 am

timmy1372 wrote:
Is there any early or late ride time for annual pass holders at Chessington these days?

Unfortunately there isn't. :(

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Chessington World of Adventures have revealed that The Gruffalo is coming to Chessington in 2017. Although its not confirmed how or where it will be making an appearance.

We are very pleased to officially announce that there will be some exciting Gruffalo activity at Chessington in 2017. The much loved children's character has captured the imagination of a generation and is a household name for families. We are delighted to give you the opportunity to come face to face with the Gruffalo at Chessington World of Adventures Resort.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Chessington have today been teasing their February half term event, but they also linked to the website with all the information on it.

Its called Animal Adventures and not only with the zoo and the SEALIFE be open, 7 rides and attractions will also be open. Hocus Pocus Hall, Sea Dragons, Seastorm, Dragon's Playhouse, Tiny Truckers, Canopy Capers and Amazu will all be open for guests to enjoy,

The February half term event starts 11th Feb and will end on the 19th Feb.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:59 pm

That's really nice to see. The ride lineup is mediocre, but given that many of the more significant attractions which have been at previous events are no longer with us (Bubbleworks and Safari Skyway), it's not too bad. I didn't go to their February event last year because there weren't any rides, but I might pop in for a morning this year.

Interesting also to see that rides as far back in the park as Sea Dragons and Canopy Capers and Dragon's Playhouse will be open - if they're willing to open the park this far back, it might be nice to see Scorpion Express in the FHT lineup some day. I can see Seastorm getting a big queue, being the only "family adventurers" ride open.

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:53 am

Chessington's opening times state that both the 11th and 12th March are Annual Pass Preview days, about a week before the park opens publicly.