UK theme parks from another point of view!

Stern John
TT Member
TT Member

Vampire

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Does anyone know what the current capacity of The Vampire at Chessington is?
I have never been on it before as the queue time always put me off but this time I was determined to tick it off the list!
I went 2 weeks ago and we queued nearly 2 hours outside for it.
There seems to be 3 trains, one which was full of dummies apart from 2 seats near the back which had people on and the ride stops at the bottom and half way up the 2nd lift hill for some time.
What I also noticed was that we queued outside for ages and then were rushed through the well-themed station complete with working organist and onto the train before we could soak up the atmosphere!
Surely it would make more sense to bring some of the queue inside as there is more to get you excited about inside the building.
The actual ride itself is good but it loses pace with the seemingly unnecessary stops around the track.
Sorry if there is another topic for this but I did look for one!

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington Vampire

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:21 pm

For 3 trains the throughput target is 900pph, for 2 trains it's 600 pph.

2 hours is ridiculous and being quite close to various people who work at the park, they'd have said if the park has been that busy for a 2 hour queue, which it apparently has not although I may have missed something. The only way the queue will have been that long was if you went on a day when only 2 trains were being used, which 2 weeks ago was likely.

3 trains are now being used for the summer period.

I personally think Vampire is a great ride, lengthy and unique with quite a few really exciting bits, I can understand why people feel it's a bit "stop-start" but even so it's a great ride.

About the being rushed through the station, you won't have to ever wait in that corridor area as that would just be uncomfortable but more often than not you do wait in the station, which really helps the ride build a great atmosphere.

Also, about these "unnecessary stops" the ride will only stop in 3 places unless it has broken down, on the 1st lift if the ride team is going at maniac speed, on the 2nd lift if the team is a little slow and before entering the station, again if the ride team hasn't dispatched the train in front yet. All of which are definitely necessary.

Glad to hear you still liked the ride :D It's a great family ride.

Oh and an interesting fact about Chessy's Vampire, back with the original trains and station set up, the ride could get 1650 pph! :)
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

Stern John
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:32 pm

I'm sure they were running the ride with 3, like I said one of these was full of dummys so it could be possible they were getting it ready for the summer season?
So the ride was designed right from opening day to have 3 stops? I just thought there must have been a problem.
The park was quite busy but the other queues were way under the half hour mark.
I'm glad we stayed in the queue because I did enjoy the ride, especially the bits where you're hugging the ground!
Will think twice about queueing that long for a ride that's not new though!

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:44 pm

It seems you were very unlucky they were testing the 3rd train when you were queueing, that would have really slowed down the queue.

It wasn't designed to have 3 stops and it very rarely stops at any of those stops but it depends on the staff. Also when the ride first opened, it wouldn't have stopped on the 2nd lift no matter how slow the staff were it would have gone to the break run and very lightly tapped the train in front. This was changed in 2002 when the ride's computers were re-done by Vekoma. Vampire, when on 2 trains, will always have a longer queue than the rest of the park, it is too popular to run just 2 trains, however it is extremely hard work for the ride team which is why, apart from the summer, it often does.

davewasbaloo
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:28 am

I really feel we got lucky on Wednesday then. My kids were finally tall enough to ride, and we waited 15 minutes. I was amazed given that it is the summer holidays. However we waited an hour for the stupid Tomb Blasters (man, I miss the Terror Tomb, it was much better).

But ya, it seems the Merlin family coasters like to break between lift hills, both on the Vampire and at Legoland on the Dragon Coaster.

But I have to say, after a 10 year break from the Vampire, it is still a really fun ride.

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:30 am

Chessington always seems to start the summer slowly, and I remember it being dead this time last year.

And Tomb Blasters current state of loading is embarrassing, it's all because of an incident with the loading bays and a child. So now, people can't be put into rows until the train has come through from off-load. It really is diabolical at the moment, and it's a MUST they get it sorted. The fact it's an hour queue when Vampire is 15 is simply un-acceptable and this seems to be a case of H&S over-reacting.

The only reason why there was a pause on Vampire was because it wasn't particularly busy, therefore they weren't dispatching as quick as they usually would. Can't really speak for Dragon as I've not been there since it's been running 3 trains.

Anyway good to hear you had a good day :)

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:19 pm

"James6" wrote:
And Tomb Blasters current state of loading is embarrassing, it's all because of an incident with the loading bays and a child. So now, people can't be put into rows until the train has come through from off-load.

Well, that restriction seems to have finally been lifted (it always really annoyed me) :D. I was there Thursday, and they were batching properly - filling up the bays whilst waiting for the next train to come. In fact, they were constantly batching, i.e. filling up the bays with more than one train's worth, and hoping that people would be sensible enough to wait for the next train if they didn't fit.

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:21 pm

:o

That's some of the best news I've heard in a long time :D

Looks like they finally realised it was ridiculous and that it wouldn't have been able to cope this summer.

Thanks for that Islander :) I'll check it out tomorrow.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:22 am

They've probably ditched that procedure for now as Tomb Blaster should be running all five trains and so guests would be waiting about 90 seconds for the next train to come in. Whereas on three trains they'd wait about five minutes.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Stern John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:43 pm

That's strange because the queue for Tomb Blaster was only about 5 mins when I went!
The Dragon ride at Legoland had the loudest lift I have ever heard! I like the bit where it stops at the top and you can see all the bins full of donuts and staff smoking area, really completes the ride!

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:31 pm

"Stern John" wrote:
What I also noticed was that we queued outside for ages and then were rushed through the well-themed station complete with working organist and onto the train before we could soak up the atmosphere!
Surely it would make more sense to bring some of the queue inside as there is more to get you excited about inside the building.

I think this is basically because the merge point for fast pass is in the courtyard before you enter the building. Fast pass holders don't generally expect to have a significant queue once they are allowed through the gate. (I would imagine a lot of them are not happy with the arrangements at Nemesis)

cmpunk771
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:11 pm

I visited last week peek time and Tomb Blasters was a walk on, Vampire was a full que, but if you want my advice, from 4 the park is DEAD, Just go to the back of the park at vampire then work your way up.

davewazere
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:53 am

"Stern John" wrote:

i noticed this when i was there a few weeks ago, they seem to do this on a few rides at chessington. whats the point in having a greatly themed station if all you do is just pass through it. i didnt have time to see anything in the vampire station, as soon as i was in there i was at the gate just about to board the train.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Vampire

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:01 pm

As posted on the SouthParks FB page Vampire has had a new evacuation platform built over closed season by Garmendale Engineering Ltd.

More information regarding this new safety feature can be found on the Garmendale Engineering blog

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Hopefully they will landscape the area again as it looks a little harsh..

coasterchemist
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 02, 2017 11:32 am

Does anyone know why the Vampire's voice has been changed? It isn't anywhere near as creepy as it used to be and the "evil laugh" when you leave the station is just weird now.

jdoughtyqpr
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Vamp is the best ride on park in my opinion.

Riding very well today, even the organist was back working again!

25 minute queue, most I saw it all day was 45

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:05 pm

It's a great ride - just wish they would give it some major TLC!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:51 pm

The Vampire is a brilliant ride, but I must agree with Chris. I believe the station needs work to bring it back up to the standards it once held. It would be good to see the organ scene fixed, chandeliers reinstalled and some additional theming added to the brake-run tunnel.

Wumbamillo
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:40 am

Instead of the taped-from-cassette internet download they're playing now on a dodgy loop, the Vampire station music used to sound awesome. It actually had the organ part (solo) playing from the organ, in sync with the rest the music (the original mix) coming in for the chorus through the rest the station. It sounded much more dramatic.

The downloaded music is now played all outside in the queue from cheap speakers too, so you are long since bored of it before you even reach the station. This completely amateaur approach to themed audio takes a very jaded & clueless attitude, same with what happened to Tomb Blaster in 2016.

When guests are paying more than ever, it's terrible how pathetic Vampire feels now when it used to be brilliant. Very poorly lit with colour LEDs flashing on demo mode, stripped back broken scenery, wobbly organist and the once-cool music now feels token and lame.