UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington Incident - 7.05.2012

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:35 pm

The whole of the Forbidden Kingdom has these raised platforms.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:37 pm

^^I think it is like Ripsaw. But god, I want to smack some of those people on the website. Most of whom appear to not understand the concept of grammar and spelling.

Rowe

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:43 pm

The bridges are made out of wood, are incredibly sturdy to walk over with metal framework underneath and at the sides with a criss cross fabric mesh.

Example 1
Example 2

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:45 pm

I just don't get it. I'm sorry for getting all worked up, but I just don't understand how this could have happened...
Last edited by dominoes on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sazzle

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:53 pm

According to the BBC report, the girl 'fell from a height' - the height was not specified. I cannot remember the Tomb Blaster queue line being 30ft high at any point?

The fact the BBC linked to CWoA Facebook page cannot have help the park's cause... the messages of well wishes are lovely to see, but there are some pretty sensationalist and downright nasty comments on there.

Regardless of where the end blame lies, the fact that a young girl is in such a critical state is a very sad thing. I do hope the facts come to light soon, and that the park didn't ignore any problems (had they been aware of them), nor defer any scheduled maintenance if that were the cause.

Meat Pie
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:40 pm

I can't really imagine an eventuality which couldn't be considered as Merlin's fault. This is a family park and as such, surely any raised platform should be child proof?
AKA the vocal minority.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:42 pm

I don't understand how the child managed to fall through. Surely the parent was looking after the child. I don't know many parents who would let their four year old run off.

King Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Update on Chessington website:

08th - 11th June 2012 - Tomb Blaster will not be operating.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Meat Pie
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:51 pm

As horrifying a thought as it is, it really doesn't take much for you to lose sight of a toddler in a busy environment, for all we know, the parent just looked one way for a second and turned back to see their child had disappeared.

Also from what I've heard (although it may only be hearsay) it sounds as if the child fell through a gap in broken fencing, which is a entirely unacceptable.
AKA the vocal minority.

King Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Meat Pie wrote:
As horrifying a thought as it is, it really doesn't take much for you to lose sight of a toddler in a busy environment, for all we know, the parent just looked one way for a second and turned back to see their child had disappeared.

Here apparently what happened:

There were one or two planks missing from the bridge. Jessica was walking ahead of her mother and all of a sudden Sarah saw her disappear through the gap.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1xKceDEem

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Surely other people would have had a problem with the gap if it was that big?

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:22 pm

This is all speculation at the moment, but clearly she did not fall 30 feet.

Delta79
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:50 pm

well they is only one thing on my mind about this.

I hope the girl makes a full recovery from her injuries. and my thoughts go out to her family, friends.

gforcejoe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:15 pm

We went on Tomb Blaster a few weeks back and the only place to fall is over the bridge but it is not 30ft - 12ft maybe, but not 30.  You only go down 2 flights of stairs to get from that level to the ground level.

When we went there was certainly no holes in the bridge - trust me, my son would always be the first to find them if there was and I would have noticed them.  So it cannot be something that happened through gradual maintenaince but maybe someone who had deliberately broken the bridge.  There were some right chavs there when we was there, it is not the most pleasant place to be.

What a shame for the family I hope the little girls recovers.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:16 am

Meat Pie wrote:
Also from what I've heard (although it may only be hearsay) it sounds as if the child fell through a gap in broken fencing, which is a entirely unacceptable.

There's two versions of the story going round at the moment so I'm inclined to wait for the results of the investigation. So far people particularly on that facebook page are very keen for Chessington to be completely to blame, but there is a chance it was just an unfortunate accident.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Dormiens-Dave

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:51 am

It really will boil down to when the hole was formed. It certainly wasn't there Saturday as TTF queued in that queue line. If however it appeared as some are suggesting the day before the incident and it was reported then that will be a serious situation for chessington.

If (as i imagine they are) the reports about the girls injuries are true she is in a very bad way so the height of the fall is irrelevant. I know themepark enthusiasts are keen never to see their favourite parks suffer, if they are at fault however chessie will suffer very badly both legally and through bad PR. And if they are at fault i will have very little sympathy for the park.
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Have the parents said anything yet?

Dormiens-Dave

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:20 pm

The aunt has in one of the News Papers

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:26 pm

The aunt's also saying a fair bit on Facebook (which, incidentally, doesn't seem to have calmed down massively since last night - still people talking of "sewing the park" and the like...