Share your thought's on one of the UK's leading family parks here.

Monkey Swinger

TT Member
User

Burniel

Monkey Swinger

by Burniel » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:23 am

To me, monkey swinger at CWOA and twirling toadstools at AT are pretty much the same thing (apart from the fact that MS squirts water).

So can someone tell me why the monkey swinger at chessy is counted a thrill ride, but the twirling toadstools at alton is counted as "young fun?" Surely water doesn't put a ride up 2 notches on merlin parks' thrill scale?

Anyone have an answer?
Ride Count 2017: 0 ;( (MAP arrives soon!)
Ride Count 2014-17: 710
Unique Coaster Count: 54

Formerly Dan.B
TT Member
User

Kirsty25

Re: Monkey swinger and twirling toadstools - what's the difference?

by Kirsty25 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:51 am

Ilovecoasters wrote:To me, monkey swinger at CWOA and twirling toadstools at AT are pretty much the same thing (apart from the fact that MS squirts water).

So can someone tell me why the monkey swinger at chessy is counted a thrill ride, but the twirling toadstools at alton is counted as "young fun?" Surely water doesn't put a ride up 2 notches on merlin parks' thrill scale?

Anyone have an answer?

perhaps your answer lies in that AT is aimed at older people, teens upwards whereas CWoA is aimed at young families so what is thrill to me as a 25 year old isn't the same as thrill to a 4 year old. You just need to look at the style of things at CWoA to see it's aim is a different target audience.
Thanks to Lewis97 for this sig!
TT Member
User

Burniel

by Burniel » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Fair point

Formerly Dan.B
TT Member
User

Burniel

by Burniel » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:17 pm

I guess it would be the same answer if I asked about Dragon's fury and sonic Spinball?

Formerly Dan.B

TT Member
User

BenBowser

Re: Monkey swinger and twirling toadstools - what's the diff

by BenBowser » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Sorry to drag this back up. But...
Dan.B wrote:I guess it would be the same answer if I asked about Dragon's fury and sonic Spinball?

Fury is genuinely more intense than Spinball. Hence why it is in the thrill section.

I've also never understood why both Monkey Swinger and Twirling Toadstools are not classed as family rides. For an attraction with a restriction of over 1.2m, what the hell is it doing in the Young Fun section?!
TT Member
User

Ryan.B

Re: Monkey Swinger

by Ryan.B » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:11 pm

The guide should be
1.2-1.4 in Thrill rides
1-1.2 in Family rides
1m and under young fun
These are based on average height at ages and rides at 1.2 purely based on how thrilling. For example th13teen is in thrill section because of the theme and indoor section. Sonic spinball is in family because you can see all the ride so there is no surprises. Dragons fury is the most thrilling ride at chessington apart from rameses and that is why it is a thrill ride unlike sonic which is the most tame coaster at AT apart from RMT. Chessington is a park for family's under 12 and Alton is for family's of all ages which is why the same rides are classed In different sections of family and thrill. I hope this answers your question. :D
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net
TT Member
User

Burniel

by Burniel » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:18 pm

^Following this system, Black Buccaneer and Zufari are "young fun".

Chessington isn't just for under 12s, I didn't go on Rameses until I was 13. I think many people who have never been to Chessington call it an under 12s park based on their selection of rides, but anyone who has been admires the scenery and agree it's for all ages.

There's also the zoo, that's not just for under 12s.

EDIT: Also, I agree with Ben, Toadstools and Monkey Swinger should both be family tbh :)

Formerly Dan.B
TT Member
User

Ryan.B

by Ryan.B » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:24 pm

My guide was for rides such as monkey swinger and most of alton towers. Chessington should base there's on what height and how thrilling combined, alton should class a Toadstool in the family section as well. What I meant was Chessington is more of a family park that under 12s can go on most rides, unlike Alton Towers which they can go on about just under half of the rides,also at chessington they have good choices of Thrill that everyone can go on. E.G Kobra sorry if I caused confusion.
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458

TT Member
User

BenBowser

by BenBowser » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:53 pm

So your saying that because Chessington has a lack of 1.4m rides it becomes a family park. Infact most parks consider it a good thing if their rides have low restrictions. Look at EP, they are defiantly not just targeting under 12s, and they only have one 1.4m ride (Silver Star).

I'd argue that Chessington, pretty much targets just about every age group in a family.
TT Member
User

Ryan.B

by Ryan.B » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:20 pm

I know it's good, it's a family park because older thrill seekers and younger visitors can go on the same ride, like spin all and th13teen most parks are family parks some are just targeted towards others or merlin Thorpe is the thrill capital Alton around half and half chessington rides the whole family can ride together that are still thrilling and legoland for children under 12. I like visiting all these parks and Alton and Chessington are the true family parks of the 4 .

if you think about It it is the stategy for them because 4 parks which draw attention from 4 different markets although alton and chessington have the same customers, my definition of family park is a park with lots of rides for the young visitors most rides for the whole family and lots of thrill rides that most of the family can ride.