Share your thought's on one of the UK's leading family parks here.

Chessington - The Future

TT Member
User

GThing64

Re: Chessington - The Future

by GThing64 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:07 pm

This week on Monday 25th between 2pm and 8pm and on Tuesday 26th between 10am and 2pm, Chessington will be holding a public showing off their new long-term development plan for local residents at their Safari hotel. More details can be found here.
Team Admin
User

Ladyofthelake

by Ladyofthelake » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:29 pm

Chessington have today revealed their proposals for the next long term plan for the Resort, which outlines possible developments over the next 5-10 years.

Included are plans for a potential new family coaster, new lodge style accommodation, and various other smaller projects, all aimed at maintaining Chessington's visitor numbers and ensuring the Resort continues to develop and compete in the increasingly competitive leisure market. Full details on the proposals can be found over on SouthParks News.

There's certainly some interesting ideas in this plan. I for one can't wait to hopefully see some of these ideas come to fruition.
Community Advocate
User

Owen

by Owen » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:57 pm

I really really like the sound of the plan. If only they could do the (what I'm assuming is a) launcher with the pirate theme! However, the way the park has been going recently has made me slightly apprehensive to expect anything they announce to go ahead.

Sad really, but unfortunately that's just the way it is :|
Team TTSP
User

lewis97

by lewis97 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:03 pm

I believe this LTDP is being developed because the park are becoming increasingly aware of their stagnation (which is unsurprising giving their average annual capex of £2.65m, which I would have thought is notably lower than Towers and Thorpe). Therefore whilst not everything may come to fruition, I have faith that they will follow-through on the majority of the proposals, provided they gain approval from the local residents at this consultation stage. They can't really afford not to.
Community Advocate
User

Owen

by Owen » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:06 pm

I'd hope so Lewis, however I'm sure you can understand where my, and likely many others apprehension has came from. I suppose all we can do is wait and see! :)
TT Member
User

owenjcornelius

by owenjcornelius » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:11 pm

The car ride thing needs to be removed and needs to be replaced by a themed attraction. I love chessington would be nice for them to get a new coaster. An upgrade to bubbleworks back to the original professor burp theme would be good. It would be nice to see some major investment as it is one of the best parks in the uk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TT Member
User

GThing64

by GThing64 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:53 pm

OK, time to don the Sherlock Holmes cap and analystigate this thing! I've just come back from seeing the proposals in person and would like to report back!

First, let's focus on the animals. On the master plan, area 10 is listed as area for animal enclosures or an overflow car park. In fact, the staff member I was talking to even mentioned the possibility of moving the entire zoo into that one area of the park, leaving room in the current zoo area for new rides and staff facilities and connecting Zufari and Wanyama with the rest of the park. When I asked him about what effect that would have on newer attractions in the area such as Trail of the Kings, Amazu and the penguins, he responded by saying that it would depend on how far down the line the redevelopment were to happen and how big of an investment the replacement was to be. It's also possible for animal enclosures to be moved to other areas such as the picnic field where the new coaster is due to go, with the new ride going elsewhere.

On the subject of rides, the reason why the new for 2016 ride was cancelled was, as expected, due to the budget being moved to general park improvements such as what has been seen over last closed season. The plan does seem to be to add smaller new rides such as these over the next few years although he didn't know if those exact plans would be brought back from the dead.

In the pdf file, you can see 3 concept images for rollercoasters; 2 for what appears to be a jungle/temple-themed launched motorbike ride with the trains restyled to resemble a quad bike and one for a pirate-themed water coaster. I mentioned to the staff member that I had issue with another jungle theme being included and seemed to share that sentiment. He seemed to be a big fan of the water coaster idea, although I mentioned, as others on here, that the park does already have a few quite good water rides. I pointed out a part of one of the concept images resembled 13's drop track section and although he wasn't part of the marketing department so couldn't know for sure, thought that I was most likely right.

One other interesting tidbit I heard at the event was that since the "relocation of thrill rides to Thorpe Park", the visitor levels per day have been rather stable although noticeably lower, and that the park hasn't been over capacity at all, whereas previously the park has had to turn guests away frequently on busy days, causing problems with traffic. If the new additions were to increase guest numbers, I'd imagine that it would be small enough that the extra capacity gained from the additions would offset it enough to not cause any issues.

I think that's it. All the other bits I remembered were local residents complaining about traffic and green belt land, but if someone mentions something on here I'll probably remember something else to mention.

TT Member
User

archie.mm

by archie.mm » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:01 pm

https://youtu.be/bYweckCkZ5g
Could we see something like this?
Team TTSP
User

lewis97

by lewis97 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:07 pm

Well the concept art featured in the consultation boards is just a visual for Juvelen with a cheetah from a Cheetah Hunt visual as well as some other cheetah related stuff :P
TT Member
User

GThing64

by GThing64 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:15 pm

Ooh, I haven't seen that ride before! I just assumed the ride was based on a Vekoma motorbike but this concept art seems to be entirely lifted from Juvelen. If it is an Intamin ride, with the elements of Juvelen and Cheetah Hunt then that would explain the drop in one of the concept images! Of course, like Lewis said, this is most likely just to allow people to get a feel for the ride so they can gauge interest in that kind of ride, like what we saw for Thirteen.
Community Advocate
User

Owen

by Owen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:05 am

It's an oddly specific detail to include though, I really hope they will in use something like TH13TEEN's drop element as this would be perfect to add a bit more thrill to the ride - I'm happy to hear the lions and tigers should get much larger enclosures as well, as many people are unhappy with their current size. :)
TT Member
User

owenjcornelius

by owenjcornelius » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:17 pm

I really like that idea about moving the zoo or integrating the zoo more into the theme park to persuade people like me to visit the zoo section. Mystic east and wild Asia need to be combined to allow a more immersive theme at some times of the year they are practically in the same area. The Africa area is a bit rubbish and the zoo area could be used for a new Africa area which could be really well integrated into all of the African animals in the zoo. The car ride needs to be ripped out in favour of that land being integrated into one of the surrounding themed areas as it is very randomly placed. Something needs to be done about ticket prices on off peak days until all of this work is complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TT Member
User

JonDoesTT

by JonDoesTT » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:39 pm

The water coaster and family coaster look great. Hopefully they theme them very heavily, and make them different in some way, which I'm sure they'll be able to do.

Credit to NemesisRider
TT Member
User

NemesisRider

by NemesisRider » Thu May 05, 2016 6:38 pm

I designed a concept that would be possible for Chessington if they had the space. I know the LTDP doesn't outline a woodie but I think one would fit well. :) I'm just going to link to my thread for this as it has pictures and a video link. This is my Chessington Ride Concept, The Voyager.
Check out my NoLimits 2 creations here
"I'm a bit sad that you can't at least look round without being blamed for 75% of all kidnappings ever"
Team Admin
User

Ladyofthelake

by Ladyofthelake » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:28 pm

It would seem that the Carousel is to get an upgrade for the 2017 season. As reported by SouthParks News, the current carousel is set to be dismantled and removed and a new carousel constructed in Market Square. The new ride will include a theming feature in the form of a tree on the roof of the ride and will also play music when in operation in-keeping with the area.

Personally I think this a a really nice little development from the Resort. It's good to see that a new carousel is being installed to replace the current one, rather than the ride just being removed and not replaced. It's these kind of smaller investments that it would be nice to see more of across Merlin. Looking forward to seeing this when it opens next year.
TT Member
User

ThemeCrafter264

by ThemeCrafter264 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:54 pm

Bearing in mind, there is no BIG major investment for any of the Resort parks next year (Legoland is a bit different with investment), I do believe 2017 will be the year with lots of upgrades to the parks hopefully.

This investment seems good but I do think Market Square will be a lot more squashed.
TT Member
User

Adam.W

by Adam.W » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:12 pm

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:Bearing in mind, there is no BIG major investment for any of the Resort parks next year

Apart from the costs of building a fairly expensive wooden rollercoaster...
TT Member
User

ThemeCrafter264

by ThemeCrafter264 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:29 pm

That is 2018 but in 2017 no major rides are being built. Since 2010, there has been Th13teen Raptor and Krake, The Swarm, The Smiler, Flug de Demon, Oblivion: The Black Hole and Derren Brown's Ghost Train which are considered high investments for the Resorts. This is the first year in 7 years where there is no new attractions that are at the £10 million+ cost which I can only hope will be invested in parks rather than for the company.
Team Admin
User

Ladyofthelake

by Ladyofthelake » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:35 pm

Legoland are getting a major investment next year in the form of Ninjago Land which will be £10 million plus. Just because the park is aimed at a younger audience doesn't mean it's not included in the investment cycle - it is still a part of Merlin's Theme Parks even if Legoland parks do have their own division.

Getting back to Chessington, it's interesting that we now know the Theme Park is getting at least two new attractions for 2017 - the new carousel, and whatever is installed in Bubbleworks' building. I just hope that this is a positive sign for the Resort going forward and represents a steady programme of additions and refreshes, especially with the proposed LTDP showing some promising new additions too.
Community Advocate
User

Luce

by Luce » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:12 pm

I agree, it's nice to see Chessington getting some new additions for next year and let's hope this investment continues as the park definitely needs some attention :)

PreviousNext