UK theme parks from another point of view!

jamesc
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington - The Future

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:27 am

There is a perfectly fine working Magic Carpet ride at Thorpe Park their could have.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:17 pm

I'd like to think that Chessington would install something they haven't had before which is probably more likely to attract guests but I guess we'll have to wait and see :)

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:23 pm

jamesc wrote:
There is a perfectly fine working Magic Carpet ride at Thorpe Park their could have.

Other than the two middle rows cannot be filled...

Personally I want to see a thrill ride installation of a Gerstlauer Sky Fly (Red Arrows at Pleasure Beach Blackpool) or Sky Roller for the reasons below.

It would be a much needed adult ride to the park, and depending on the height restriction would be a perfect 'step up' ride.

Due to its adult nature, throughout would likely not be an issue as the demographic that co ex to chessington is heavily based towards those who may not be tall enough to ride.

Not sure about the size so I have no comments here. However by using the Sky Roller variation the ride wouldn't require much space at all. Also the Sky Roller has 16 seats as opposed to 12.

Also if it's near Peeking Heights, this means that this attrsctuom may possibly be able to get to St least 80 feet, and as the Sky Fly is 72 feet.

And it would just be a very nice installation! I'm sure the park may get something else for the family in the years after and their lack of 'adukt' rides is really starting to dawn on this park, especially as Rameses Revenge isn't looking too good nower days!

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:53 pm

And it's a 'family park' family's also want thrill rides as thrill seekers are in family's. Am I correct in thinking Legoland Deutschland has a sky fly? Do Merlin own all the Lego parks, if they do it means they have experience in owning and operating one, so it could be quite a good addition. Family's can go on it as well, 125cm height restriction if I remember, and you don't have to flip.
Credit to NemesisRider for the absolutely AMAZING signature!
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458
My Website http://globalthemeparkmedia.boards.net

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:56 pm

They aren't really going to opt for a Gerstlauer installation in the wake of The Smiler crash now are they.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:41 pm

I've always thought that chessington would do with a woodie, I think it would fit in pretty well there. If not, then they'd do with either a B&M or a launch coaster (that doesn't pull too many g's too quickly, a bit like rock n rollercoasters in disney) :)

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:08 pm

It is true Merlin have installed a ride of this type, but I was unsure of the height restriction, just made the assumption that it wouldbe a 1.2-1.4M ride :)

Ben.S wrote:
They aren't really going to opt for a Gerstlauer installation in the wake of The Smiler crash now are they.

Ok there are two scenarios here. The Smiler was a machanical error, or the more likely (in my opinion) idea it was human error.

Human error means that Gerstlauer was not to blame meaning there is no reason not to trust the company.

Mecanical error means that Gerstlauer were to blame. They are to blame that their one of a kind roller coaster system did not work. Not their flat ride system that has been used multiple times successfully.
And no it wouldn't affect attendance because the GP do not know the manufacturers.
It is also likely they have paid and planned this installation before The Smiler accident.

So yes, I do think that they would 'opt' for a Gerstlauer flat ride after The Smiler accident.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:28 pm

What area is it going in? I can't really tell
My Facebook theme park media page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-T ... 6462963458

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Ryan.B wrote:
What area is it going in? I can't really tell

Judging by the map, it will be between Peeking Heights, Kobra and The Land of Dragons...so that's a very rough idea of its location. I plan to visit chessington fairly soon so I will be able to find an exact location then :)

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:47 am

Thrillmad wrote:
It is true Merlin have installed a ride of this type, but I was unsure of the height restriction, just made the assumption that it wouldbe a 1.2-1.4M ride :)

Ben.S wrote:

Ok there are two scenarios here. The Smiler was a machanical error, or the more likely (in my opinion) idea it was human error.

Human error means that Gerstlauer was not to blame meaning there is no reason not to trust the company.

Mecanical error means that Gerstlauer were to blame. They are to blame that their one of a kind roller coaster system did not work. Not their flat ride system that has been used multiple times successfully.
And no it wouldn't affect attendance because the GP do not know the manufacturers.
It is also likely they have paid and planned this installation before The Smiler accident.

So yes, I do think that they would 'opt' for a Gerstlauer flat ride after The Smiler accident.

Human error or not, the ride system still allowed a train full of passengers to crash. Gerst still allowed for the block systems to be overrided when the ride wasn't empty. So really, the computer should have a failsafe in place to stop such an occurrence when the ride is full.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:47 am

They have to be able override the system, if there hadn't been a train there they would need to use this measure. The staff are supposidly trained properly to avoid this. Also I see you haven't taken into account that they are completely different systems and being a flat ride, this is FAR more controlled.

Now this is a topic for Chessington, if you want to keep dragging on about the unfortunate The Smiler accident there is a topic for that. So let's move on from The Smiler, because quite frankly it's doing my head in now! And I'm sure there are fair few more who will agree.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:25 pm

I'm sure that what ever they instal will be a good addition to the park. Plus with it being their first ride investment in years, in sure they will make the right choice in what they feel the park needs. It could be a tea cups ride, it could be a magic carpet, it could be a donkey on roller skates. At this moment in time little is known about what it will be. What I am certain of is that it will be a brilliant investment to the park, no matter what it will be.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:33 pm

Even f it doesn't attract us, as long as it helps the park keep up and get prepared for competition from paramount.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:22 pm

To be honest, I can see Cheaaington getting at least 1 major investment/crowd puller to keep up with Paramount so it doesn't lose too much attendance. Merlin will be investing in the coming years so Paramount doesn't basically crush their parks due to people going to paramount instead. While I know that people would still visit regardless, it is still needed to keep up.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 pm

Was on the park today, got a couple photos of construction - the side is right next to Peeking Heights.

There is also a preview rent on the front lawn to preview the glamoing much like the enchanted village lodge.

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Chessington Buzz are claiming the new ride to be a Zamperla Watermania like Captain's Sea Adventure at Drayton Manor.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:45 pm

If it is, then wow. While it is a fun ride, you can get absolutely drenched and it seems way too early for them to announce a small addition. I do hope it helps them though. But this has a theoretical hourly capacity of 480, seems silly considering it might be quite popular (2nd actual water ride at the park, excluding bubbles)

Jared
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:50 pm

If they install the double version capacity becomes double at 960pph.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:53 pm

True, I hope they theme it up well, that's a thing I like the most a chessington, but the annoucement of new ride early on got me hyped, as well as that sky fly fan art :lol

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm quite disappointed in this to tell you the truth, I don't feel like this ride will do extremely well after X amount of time looking at Battle Galleons and does the UK honestly need another 'drench' ride?
Good luck to the children in the hour long queues on the few scorching days we get a year...

I know this isn't 100% confirmed (although very likely), but I've lost all enthusiasm for this project now unfortunately, something I was really not hoping to do.