Share your thought's on one of the UK's leading family parks here.

TT Member
User

BenBowser

Re: Chessington 2014 £14 million investment

by BenBowser » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:39 am

Amazu has also appeared in the Zoo section. It says it will open in March. Surprised to see that it won't have fastrack. I'm sure Runaway Train did.

Is nice to know they've not managed to take the Runaway Train out of the Mexicana description:
www.chessington.com wrote:Hey Amigos! Adventure into Mexicana and step aboard the Runaway Train on a journey though the mountains.
TT Member
User

Burniel

by Burniel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:48 am

The Runway Train definitely had a fastrack entrance, I've seen the old one on the site
Ride Count 2017: 0 ;( (MAP arrives soon!)
Ride Count 2014-17: 710
Unique Coaster Count: 54

Formerly Dan.B

TT Member
User

BenBowser

by BenBowser » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:58 pm

Chessington Buzz are on park today and have been posting images of Scorpion Express and Azteca Construction progress from last week.

Azteca Hotel
First floor frame work complete.

Transylvania refurbishment
The iconic tower is getting some work, after the fire.

Scorpion Express
The train is on the track.
Fastrack sign has been taken down.
The actually scorpion is in place, the skin still needs to appear! :) The nozzle on the end of the tail would appear to be the source of the water effects!

All seems to have progressed rather well since last week.
These images aren't mine, they belong to Chessington Buzz.
https://www.facebook.com/ChessingtonBuzz
http://www.chessingtonbuzz.co.uk/
Last edited by BenBowser on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Site Owner
User

Baffles

by Baffles » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:57 pm

I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but does anyone else agree that a big wooden fence is no replacement for the immersive rock work of the former ride? Hmm.
Community Advocate
User

Luce

by Luce » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Yes, it does seem a shame that the rock work has disappeared as that is what made the Runaway Train quite re-rideable.  It's similar to when Thorpe reinstalled the Flying Fish and I think both rides have been spoilt somewhat however as Baffles said, I'll reserve judgement until I can see it finished in person.

TT Member
User

BenBowser

by BenBowser » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Chessington Buzz have posted more images from their meet up today at African Adventures, including a look at Scorpion Express' refurbished train, which look damn good. As well as Market Square looking the best its been in decades. Appears to be a tower, scorpion and small ground rocks to be installed of Scorpion Express. Exciting times! :)

The gallery can be found on their Facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/ChessingtonBuzz
Last edited by BenBowser on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TT Member
User

Burniel

by Burniel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:07 am

I don't get why the ride was closed for a year for this, especially when most of the work has been done in the closed season.

Formerly Dan.B
TT Member
User

jon18uk

by jon18uk » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:05 am

Ilovecoasters wrote:I don't get why the ride was closed for a year for this, especially when most of the work has been done in the closed season.

They had to remove the old theming as it was rotten and dangerous, which is what left the ride SBNO all though the open season. I've no idea why it took them so long to start on the new theming, other than the competition for new ideas which closed in September. I assume work on the actual ride track & train did take place last year as well so it is only the theming left to replace now.
TT Member
User

Jared

Chessington 2014 £14 million investment

by Jared » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:01 pm

The reason it took so long was that it was so last minute, that they didn't have a plan in place, so planning took it's time.
Last edited by Jared on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TT Member
User

Deejay

by Deejay » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:14 am

So basically we have a very basic (and old) ride system on flat land with bland fencing around its perimeter with what looks like barely no theming at all.
TT Member
User

Burniel

by Burniel » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:53 am

Dan wrote:So basically we have a very basic (and old) ride system on flat land with bland fencing around its perimeter with what looks like barely no theming at all.

Yes, that would suffice for an excellent description

Formerly Dan.B

TT Member
User

BenBowser

by BenBowser » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:56 am

I actually quite like the new theme. Granted the extent of the themeing, and potentialy the queue line will not nearly be as grand as before, but it will be more dramatic and original. Something that the public now want.

TT Member
User

RoyalFool

by RoyalFool » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:13 pm

So, anybody else who went today a bit puzzled as to where the 14m went? They painted the dragon mouth on the flume - and that's about it from what I could tell.

Oh and they replaced the sit down section of Zufari with more queue.. I'm pretty sure the original queue was way too long considering how few people ever seem to be on it so this one baffled me.
Site Owner
User

Baffles

by Baffles » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:48 pm

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152095642148495.1073741825.213894828494&type=3

Here's my album from today - should justify where the money is going. Some rather impressive changes I feel.
Previous