UK theme parks from another point of view!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Chessington 2014 £14 million investment

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:47 am

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
I don't know if it's just me but looking at the pics above it looks like the former runaway mine train coaster is not themed at all. I thought they were building a new mine?

They are, but they weren't just going to show us straight away! It's a teaser

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 am

Just found this on the Chessington Holidays website:
Chessington Holidays wrote:
Wind down in a Discovery, Temple Treasure or Temple Summit room and watch mischievous monkeys swinging by your bedroom window.

Hopefully the views are good of Amazu.
This amazing new hotel connects to the existing Chessington Safari Hotel. You will have access to the following and more:

• All new splash water play zone located within the Savannah splash and leisure club
  • Temple Restaurant and Bar — watch fish swimming by and enjoy a Character Breakfast in the heart of a mysterious ancient temple
  • Exclusive access to Wanyama Village & Reserve and new attraction Amazu Treetop Adventure until dusk
  • Early Ride Time the next day
  • Evening entertainment with Animal Encounters, Movie Time and the Rangers Club

Mostly fairly standard, just though I'd share the name of the splash area in the Safari Hotel, and the name of the Temple restaurant.

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 am

BenBowser wrote:
Just found this on the Chessington Holidays website:
Wind down in a Discovery, Temple Treasure or Temple Summit room and watch mischievous monkeys swinging by your bedroom window.

Hopefully the views are good of Amazu.
This amazing new hotel connects to the existing Chessington Safari Hotel. You will have access to the following and more:

• All new splash water play zone located within the Savannah splash and leisure club
  • Temple Restaurant and Bar — watch fish swimming by and enjoy a Character Breakfast in the heart of a mysterious ancient temple
  • Exclusive access to Wanyama Village & Reserve and new attraction Amazu Treetop Adventure until dusk
  • Early Ride Time the next day
  • Evening entertainment with Animal Encounters, Movie Time and the Rangers Club

Mostly fairly standard, just though I'd share the name of the splash area in the Safari Hotel, and the name of the Temple restaurant.

Sounds good that they will keep the Amazu Monkey area and Wanyama open until dark for hotel guests.

ridefan22
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:31 pm

I like the line up in the new Azteca Hotel and the room themes sound good. Let's hope this hotel is not too expensive and that people can actually afford to stay there. You can't have Chessington building a new hotel and then pricing people out of being able to use it. I like the features and offers available to hotel guests and it's only right that hotel guests get early ride time. But I wonder about the opening of the hotel with it being open in August. Is that too late for them to make a good investment from the hotel or would they have liked it to be open earlier? It is August after all so being the summer holidays should see the park and hotels being very busy. Finally, in regards to the recent updates that Chessington posted on Facebook someone said that the photos of Runaway Train with no theming on were just a teaser. I only hope this is true and that when the ride opens in March it will be fully themed and looking first class.

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:14 am

Chessington Buzz have posted these images on Facebook from African Adventures of this year's developments. :D
Scorpion Express advertising images. :)

Azteca Hotel and AMAZU Treetop Adventure construction! :D The hotel construction was posted within four mins of park opening!!

Bubbleworks fire damage!! :(

Mexicana painting in progress...

Work on Rameses...

All the changes look good, horrible to see bubbles in such a bad state!

They are posting on their Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ChessingtonBuzz!
Last edited by BenBowser on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Chessington Buzz have posted more updates on Facebook:

Scorpion Express site work.

More Zoo additions...
New Wanyama Village elosure.

Fennec Fox

Tomb Blaster, Hocus Pocus Hall, Jungle Bouncers and Flying Jumbos are open as well as Madagascar Live.

I do not own these images, they have been taken by Chessington Buzz, who have posted them on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ChessingtonBuzz

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Discovery room

This is the perfect room to ‘bed down’ in before or after your Chessington expedition.

With so much to explore this room provides an ideal base camp for your wild adventure.

Temple Treasure room

Start your ascent and uncover the mysteries that lie within the ancient temple as you discover a room full of hidden gems.

Temple Summit room

Unlock the explorer within by heading straight to the top and staying in a Temple Summit room, where you will feel truly immersed by the magnificent views of the mysterious temple ruins and enjoy breathtaking scenery without stepping foot outside of your room.

From Chessington website. Nice pics Ben :)

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:50 pm

^ Thanks, but they arent mine, they belong to Chessington Buzz. Website here: http://www.chessingtonbuzz.co.uk/

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Chessington buzz have announced that scorpion express will include fire effects and animatronics! Sounds exciting

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Theme Park Guide wrote:
When talking to one of the managers walking around park we were able to gain access into guest services where we were able to then take photos of the re-themed market square. He spoke about the reason behind the much needed makeover which was to level out the ground as guests had complained about the ground being un level in some areas. He also mentioned about a centre piece going into market square which we shall revel in a few days time. Along with the new brick work in Market square he said that its going to be easier to distinguish pirates coves and market square from March. This could mean that the work we've seen going on in market square is also going on near pirates cove.

Interesting...
Theme Park Guide wrote:
the entrance for the scorpion express looks set to be changed as the old bridge and area which used to hold the queue has been taken down and one of the members of staff we spoke to said that their might be a cattle pen being installed for the ride.

Oh no! :roll:
Chessington Buzz wrote:
The first floor of the new Azteca hotel is up and we are told they are aiming to be putting the roof on at the end of March, weather permitting of course!

That's gone up very quick! In Chessington Buzz's images, there are some rocks with a cactus in the ride area of Scorpion Express, and with the theming going up at the back to hide the access road, as well as fire effects, this looks to be a very immersive ride!
Last edited by BenBowser on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deejay
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:51 pm

I take it the Scorpion Express is going to be naked and not diving in and out of rock work like it did before :(

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:12 am

Dan wrote:
I take it the Scorpion Express is going to be naked and not diving in and out of rock work like it did before :(
That's a real shame ...

The rock was old, but I definitely wanted new rocks. Still, the fire effects and animatronics will hopefully be good.

I'm hoping for a rattlesnake transformation in a few years time!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:31 am

To what? Really don't think it needs it, other than a refresh of existing.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:38 am

Baffles wrote:
To what? Really don't think it needs it, other than a refresh of existing.

I agree that Rattlesnake is fine as it is, but I think it's rather strange that they cut Mexicana in half. Perhaps it's not what I want in terms of the ride, but it would make a lot more sense if they were planning to re-theme or even replace Rattlesnake, or else it becomes two miniature lands as opposed to one.

However, I agree that Rattlesnake is mostly fine, perhaps it just needs a lick of paint :)

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:19 am

Rattlesnake is not going anywhere, or being re-themed anytime soon as far as I'm aware. The ride was refurbished intermittently throughout last year. For the start of the season, the queue line had some work, as did some of the cars and control box. The station was also cleared of dust I think. :)

Then about July time, the bell towers was repainted as well as the entrance, at this time, most of the queue line theming was at Merlin Studios,  having a refurb. These then returned around late August. By September the ride was looking amazing. :D

All they need to do now is clear the small mountain of ivy and repaint it. Oh, and it's meant to look rusty, it's themed around an abandoned mine!
Last edited by BenBowser on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:08 am

BenBowser wrote:
Oh, and it's meant to look rusty, it's themed around an abandoned mine!

But it's the only ride in the park themed like that now. It just seems out of place.

Don't get me wrong, I like rattlesnake, and the general work last year was nice too, but it's a bit ... randomly placed now. All last year it was like this, but everyone knew that Runaway Train was having work done, whereas now it is just a really tiny world with one ride (and no hope of others joining it) and scenery that slowly rots.

Therefore, on balance, I would rather a re-theme. I understand it may not be to everyone's taste, but in my opinion, Rattlesnake will look really odd after the £14million investment. :)

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:35 am

The rest of Mexicana isn't being changed, it's just having a repaint, it's not even going to be renamed. Scorpion Valley is just part of Scorpion Express' story, it is what the ride is themed about. I thought it was a re-theme of Mexicana, turns out I was wrong, and probably for the better.

The shop facades are being updated, some of them look really good. The whole of Scorpion Express' queue wont be a cattlepen, it's not even confirmed that there will be one at all. The old queue's bridge is still standing in order to be able to get on to the loading platform. I'm definitely not saying the queue will be as good as before, but it may not be as bad as we think. But then again, Zufari's elaborate queue turned out to be the worlds most cramped and boring cattlepen ever devised by humankind. :/ But I still think we should reserve judgement until opening day.

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:40 am

Ilovecoasters wrote:
BenBowser wrote:

But it's the only ride in the park themed like that now. It just seems out of place.

Scorpian Express is an old train running through a desert, so it does still tie-in with RattleSnake and the Mexicana area fine. I don't know where people are getting the idea of Mexicana being "cut in half" from, all the buildings are being repainted and Scorpion Express will still be in this area.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 am

jon18uk wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote:
BenBowser wrote:

Scorpian Express is an old train running through a desert, so it does still tie-in with RattleSnake and the Mexicana area fine. I don't know where people are getting the idea of Mexicana being "cut in half" from, all the buildings are being repainted and Scorpion Express will still be in this area.

I'm getting the "cut in half" idea from this part of the Chessington website:
Scorpion Express is a brand new ride experience for 2014 set within Mexicana’s Scorpion Valley

They have made a sub-group within Mexicana, half of the rides in it, half not, essentially cutting the land in half.

Also, I agree that Scorpion Express has some throwbacks to the original deserted mine theme, but I believe there's a lot more to it this time, with the animatronics and fire. As opposed to being in the deserted mine, it's more:
Adventurers must board the old train of the Scorpion Express as it’s the only way to cross the sands, ruins of the mines, and abandoned town.

It is no longer just rocky mines in my opinion, but a lot more, and Rattlesnake hasn't been getting this, which makes it seem different and outdated in comparison.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:28 am

Sorry for double post, but I have exciting news.

Chessington have now replaced Runaway Train with Scorpion Express on their ride listing page. It is now at the top and has the following description

Scorpion Express is a fun ride for all the family and brave young adventurers can experience their first rollercoaster thrill.

Watch out for surprises at every turn, with unstable mines guarded by the giant Scorpion anything could happen – try not to get too close!

And this is the picture beside it
Sounds exciting

EDIT: This also can be found on the Mexicana page
Last edited by Burniel on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.