UK theme parks from another point of view!

Marcus
TT Member
TT Member

Scorpion Express

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:39 pm

As you know Chessy are investing 5 million in refurbishing parts of the park including Dragon Falls and RT. The whole RT area has been stripped and has left the track and queue path. I tried to take some pics of the site, but theres a solid wooden fence instead of the typical construction fence that used to be there.

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Re: CWOA Runaway Train refurbishment

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:37 am

Can you try posting these pictures again please as I can't view them :)

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:36 pm

i found these pictures of runaway train at chessington

credit to themeuk.com for the pics

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:44 pm

I can't believe that last pic is the Runaway Mine train. I would love to know what the plans are i.e. are they going to remake what was already there or redesign things?

I know for a fact the Buddha faces are being changed because there's a competition for people to redesign the flume stuff. I would like to send an entry of what was already there - an old photo or something!
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:18 am

I wonder if you can see from the top of rattlesnake? Perhaps I'll have a look when I go on the 25th?
Rides on Dragon's Fury since SRQ installed:

2016: 17 | 2017: 35

obliviongirl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 am

Ilovecoasters wrote:
I wonder if you can see from the top of rattlesnake? Perhaps I'll have a look when I go on the 25th?

Did you see anything Dan? When I visited in September my friends and I tried to peek over the barrier to see what was going on, but to no avail. It was pretty difficult to look when we were being banged about every couple of seconds from the jerky turns.  :P Anyway, I'm eagerly anticipating the refurbished Runaway Train for next year. I'm interested to see if it looks any better than before.
Last edited by obliviongirl on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:25 pm

I saw a bit of track ... I reckon if it wasn't rattlesnake, and was instead tiny truckers I would have got a lot more! :lol: all I can say is anyone if you break down up there look over!

Anyway, this piece of track was merely ... Well, a piece of track. There was no scenery visible, but it was interesting to see it bare!

Another thing most people don't know is when on the safari skyway, look left as soon as you leave the station. A little to be seen there, but again, it's well covered - up!

EDIT: I thought I should share this: http://flickr.com/photos/mesmoland/8727770021/lightbox/ (mesmoland's Flickr feed). I found the first two pictures very interesting
Last edited by Burniel on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyuk200523
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:06 am

Pizzazz wrote:
i found these pictures of runaway train at chessington

credit to themeuk.com for the pics

Christ - they have really stripped it back haven't they!
Andrew

Next Trip - No Idea!
Thought when exiting The Smiler - "Which way is up?"

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Scorpion Express - Reviews

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:56 pm

Post reviews for the revamped Runaway Train here!

Mark.aa
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Scorpion Express - Reviews

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:58 pm

Just seen a video of the the rebranded scorpion express.
Must say it looks underwhelming .
Looks like dragon falls after they took down the rock work due to( Heath and safety).
Looks like a cheap job rebrand as a excuse for taking down rotton theming and patching up cheap!
Let's hope nemisis station doesn't get a (make over) or it will finally get one of those special merlin shipping container stations.
Looks just like flying fish now!

RoyalFool
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Went on this today with the family.

It's a bit of a mixed bag, but a definite improvement!

The mechanical spider, smoke and fire effects are all rather good - and I was really delighted that they'd given the ride a back-story and a proper queue line audio reel and music. Every-time the flames shot up the entire queue could feel the heat, and when the spider starts squirting you it certainly adds something to the ride experience.

But unfortunately they've really skimmed on the budget with the rest of the theming, the building facades are little more than fences with glued on windows/signs, and the queue line - while trying to represent some sort of abandoned mine - just hasn't had the effort or materials put into it and so comes across as an ugly load fence and wire (but the little scorpion shapes in the floor are a nice touch).

The biggest problem is the ride, as I'm sure you all know - it's the most timid mine train ride you can get with it's rather geriatric speed and boring figure of 8 track, and while the spiders and flames help distract from it - I can't imagine even the kids wanting to queue more than 20 minutes to get back on it, which may be a problem when it's being marketed as the big new attraction (60 minute queues today).

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:49 pm

After queueing my 70 minutes, I stepped aboard Scorpion Express.

The queue had been utter hell, spending 1/2 of it inside a dark, claustrophobic building, 1/3 queueing round a zig zag of queues that moved an inch a minute., and the rest going over the bridge.

The first thing I noticed was the fact that so many fastracks were on. I understand that it's the first day blah blah blah, but out of 38 available seats, 12 were filled with fastrack users on our train alone, and apparently this was a low number of fastracks in comparison to the rest of the day!

I then noticed that it took five minutes to get everyone in and check the restraints. Sure, there's a lot of safety to do, but this ride took longer to load and leave than Vampire today (yes I timed it - I was bored)

Just as it looks like we're about to be off, I see fire in the far distance. Instead of activating it when we went passed (which we did twice), they did it where we couldn't see it. Brilliant.

So, we're finally off. I tried to enjoy this as I queued over an hour, and it was my last chance before my MAP runs out. But without the rocks, one could close his eyes and find himself on the Flying Fish (Which I have never queued more than 10 minutes for).

Overall board:
Theme: 8/10
Looks: 7/10
Thrill: 2/10
Family: 9/10
Re-rideability: 4/10
GRAND TOTAL: 30/50 (6 out of ten)

I failed to see any improvement on this ride, perhaps my mind will change if I queue 15mins for it on an off-peak, but it didn't shine for me today :(

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:06 pm

Themeparkuk have posted a video showing the ride working from today and must say it looks absolute poo. A poor ride which heavily relied on theming has now had it's only good aspect taken away and poorly replaced.
And I haven't even seen it in person yet!

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:28 pm

People that dislike it, clearly fail to see the charm that Mexicana was originally meant to give out. All of this town theming and poles in the queue reflect the wacky, yet realistic setting that Calamity Canyon was designed to create.

The mine machinery in the ride area and the facades at the back all add to the rides setting greatly, the attention to detail is pretty good and shows that Chessington are back on track and are back at doing what they do best. Theming!

It's also the only children's roller coaster in the county to feature an elaborate backstory and explained setting. The queue line looks good enough and the scorpion and fire effect will help keep the atmosphere alive and assist in bringing guests into the experience.

I don't really understand other people's issues with it, it's far exceeded my expectations and beats the Fish by a country mile. I look forward to riding it next weekend. :)

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Re: Scorpion Express

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Just seen the scorpion express advert on channel 5, will try and find a link :)

EDIT: found it! http://youtu.be/O3iSHkWY2xs

Chaz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:38 pm

A few Scorpion Express facts:

1) The water dribbles out the scorpion at the moment, this is because it comes from a shared tank (with other attractions) and has run out/low. As a result the whole thing needs a new tank and is getting one asap.

2) The advert was filmed on Mammut at Gardaland. Merlin have, obviously, over marketed a ride again.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

[url=http://www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7[/url]

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:39 am

Yep over marketed indeed.

If this was a brand new attraction I would be happy, but it doesn't really give us anything extra apart from a new theme for an old ride.

Went today 60 min queue and walked away. I don't care how good it looks, I am not going to wait an hour of my life for it.

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:01 am

I really hope they can speed up the boarding on it - they were slow compared to Alton Towers last week. Was never really an issue with RMT so hopefully they'll speed up in the coming weeks.

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:03 pm

After my first trip to Chessington this weekend ( I will be harping on about this for week, apologies in advance) I can say that without having any preconceptions from knowing what the ride was like previously, I was pleasantly surprised by Scorpion Express.

The theme IMO is brilliant, the changing notices throughout the queueline at least provide some entertainment, though I must agree that the indoor sections are extremely claustrophobic and I can imagine they will be unbearable in very hot weather.

The dispatching is absolutely DIRE. Friday, I was struck by how horrible dispatch was on all of the rides, however on Saturday there was a significant improvement on every ride apart from S.E. They were failing to batch onto the platform in between rides and when loading, the excessive amounts of checks was just daft, I can only assume that it's training new staff to do the checks properly so I am remaining optimistic that it will improve.
Apart from that though, I loved it and the Scorpion seemed to be firing water at full force!

CPATH10
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Some people might find this worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hsewKMS0C0